? For Almond Flavor Users

Decorating By ddog Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm by jtlccbrown

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 17

i am making a cake for a friend who asked for the cake to have a hint of almond flavor. She doesn't know if she wants it in the buttercream, or in the cake itself (white cake) or both. she just wants it to have that "good almond flavor". I rarely use almond extract, so I am clueless. Please tell me what taste good and how much to use. Thanks so much!!!

16 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 17

I LOVE almond extract! If it were me, I'd use it in the buttercream AND the cake! lol I use Watkins' Almond extract, it is the best (IMO!) and it's much stronger than the ones I have tried in the past. It's soo good, that if it tasted like it smelled right out of the bottle, I drink it up in one gulp! lol

Anyway, on the buttercream you can add 1 tsp of the almond extract by itself or with 1 tsp vanilla extract. (Yep, that's 2 tsp). But I guess it really depends on how much you like the almond flavor. As for the cake, I would just substitute the almond extract for the vanilla extract, same amount.

HTH!

ddog Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 17

Thank You! I have wilton almond extract, is that okay you think???

nimsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nimsi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 17

Yes, is Ok. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:44am
post #5 of 17

You will love the almond. I recommend the White Almond Sour Cream Cake--it is on this site--with almond flavor in the buttercream also. I get soooooo many compliments when I use this. It is absolutely wonderful!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #6 of 17

I use the Wilton Almond Flavoring in my Buttercream. I haven't tried it in a cake yet ~ but I think I will soon. People do love the Almond in the Buttercream though.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #7 of 17

Definately do both. I have had the Almond Sour Cream Cake and it tastes great. I would also use same amount of almond flavoring as you do vanilla.

Deborah

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #8 of 17

I always put almond flavoring in my butter cream. It is that flavor that everyone loves but just can't figure out what it is. I ran out of almond flavoring for a cake I did for my family and they all said it didn't taste the same as usual, I will definately keep using it.

DanaJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaJones Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:03am
post #9 of 17

i always use a tsp of almond extract AND a tsp of vanilla extract in my icing.... have never tried puting it in my cake but bet it would be good!!

icon_smile.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:01am
post #10 of 17

Ditto what the others have said....white almond sour cream cake and almond extract in your icing. It will be wonderful!!!

ddog Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #11 of 17

thankyou cake central! I put 1 tsp in both cake batter and buttercream. They loved it, I even thought it was great. I didn't think I was a fan of almond extract, but this cake made me realize I am. I am so glad I did it. Thanks for your help!

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:21am
post #12 of 17

and it smells soooooooooooooooo good....mmmmmmmmm almond extract love it love it

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:24am
post #13 of 17

I like to put some almond flavoring in simple syrup and then brush it over my cakes after I have leveled them. It adds a touch of almond flavor and makes my cakes very moist and yummy!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:28am
post #14 of 17

Ok, I must be a total nutjob, because in a batch of icing that uses a 2lb bag of powdered sugar I use at least a tablespoon and a half of almond. (Unless someone requests no/less almond flavor which NEVER happens) I am actually quite well known for my buttercream around here. I have had other professional bakers try to get my recipe, but I always have to give the 'trade secret' excuse. But... the secret part is my liberal use of flavorings! I don't go easy, I use butter, vanilla, and almond flavors in my icing (all three together in other words) and LOTS of it!! I figure it doesn't cost that much more to add a little flavor, and it brings in lots of repeat business!!

ceese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceese Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:16am
post #15 of 17

I agree with the white almond sour cream cake. Everybody loves it. I made it on Wed and got so many compliments. My head swelled a little after all the compliments icon_lol.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:36am
post #16 of 17

My buttercream always has BVA flavorings. 1tsp butter flavoring, 1tsp vanilla and 1sp almond.

That's the way I learned. The shop where I learned cake decorating in college had BVA already hand mixed and bottled up. Now of course I do my own.

YUMMMY

jtlccbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtlccbrown Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 17

I always use it in my icing, 1 tsp and well as 1 tsp of vanilla, I use about 1/4 tsp in my cake batter. This is so yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%