Luster Dust Application

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 2:02pm by cncsmom45

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a way to get Luster Dust to NOT come off on everything it touches after it's applied? I made a gumpaste bow, and used luster dust on it, and now it's coming off so easily whenever I touch it! Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? It's my first time using it. It looks GREAT on the bow loops, but when I touch it ( just to move it or handle it for a second) it's all over my hands! I know it's for decoration only, but still, I don't want the customer to get it all over themselves when they remove it from the top of the cake! I applied it with lemon extract, and it looks exactly how I hoped it would. Any suggestions, or is this just the nature of lusrer dust? Thanks!
Mindy

7 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 8

Are you saying it stayed wet? Yes, that sometimes happens. Switch over to vodka and that will solve the problem. I've only had this happen a couple of time, but only with gold dust.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 8

How much drying time are you allowing before you handle the piece? It still does take a bit of time to completey dry--not hours, but it is not immediate either.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 8

I am interested in the answer to this one as well. I just did a chain made gumpaste and airbrushed it with silver luster dust and vodka. Two days after I painted it, the silver was still coming off when I was trying to put it on the cake. I use luster dust a lot via this same application and I have thought all along it was just the nature of the beast. If there is an alternative, I really need to know!!!

-Michelle

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 8

Maybe you are using to much dust. I work with gold dust a lot and it has only happened with I used the extract to appy it, and even then that only happened a couple of times. I've never have it happen with the vodka. I'm totally stumped.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 8

When I paint, I use vodka with my dusts and have never had a problem with it coming off after it has completely dried. Though, some people have had problems so I have heard that they use a Tylose gum glue instead of a clear extract or alcohol.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 8

No...it is definitely NOT still wet. It dried almost immediately, but the dust is coming off on my fingers when I touch it. I do NOT keep alcohol in my house, so I'd have to go to the liquir store and buy some soley for this purpose ( major inconvience for me). I had not heard of anyone complaining from using the lemon extract. Maybe I used too much luster dust in comparison to the amount of lemon extract...I will try it next time using less dust. Is there a formula of how much to use? I jsut made it very liquidy. At first, I made it like a paste, but it was using SO much of the luster dust, I didn't want to use the whole container! So, I made it thinner and just did 2 coats. Is this a bad thing to do? Thanks for your help!

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 8

Just wondering what "bump" means. I've seen it on alot of posts. I'm guessing it means you're "bumping" the answer off to someone else because you don't know the answer??

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%