Stand Mixer Plunge

Decorating By Jenna217 Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 8:48pm by Jenna217

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 14

Alright - so I've finally had it with my hand mixer and now that I'm getting more orders in, I NEED a stand mixer. My question is which KitchenAid model have you found is the best?

I'm currently trying to decide between the Professional 5 Plus 12-cup, the Commercial 5 Series 11-cup and the Professional 600 14-cup.

All models I'm looking at are bowl-lift. I also see that there are some models out there that are tilt-head models as well. Is there a big difference as far as convieniance that you've noticed?

Any feedback would SO be appreciated!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna217

Alright - so I've finally had it with my hand mixer and now that I'm getting more orders in, I NEED a stand mixer. My question is which KitchenAid model have you found is the best?

I'm currently trying to decide between the Professional 5 Plus 12-cup, the Commercial 5 Series 11-cup and the Professional 600 14-cup.

All models I'm looking at are bowl-lift. I also see that there are some models out there that are tilt-head models as well. Is there a big difference as far as convieniance that you've noticed?

Any feedback would SO be appreciated!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenna217,

I don't know how much help I will be but I own two Kitchenaids. I orginally purchased the Heavy Duty 4qt and a year later I purchased the Pro 600. I prefer the bowl lift as keeping my machine clean is a lot easier.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 14

I woldn't use anything smaller than the 6 qt. I have the 5qt Artisan (good) but the 600 series is much much better. I have most of the available attachments (ice cream maker, grater, pasta rollers andcutters, food grinder, sausage stuffer, etc). and use this machine ALL THE TIME.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 14

Bigger is Better! icon_wink.gif

I own the Prof. 600 and it is the most convenient and stress free, especially when making large batches of cake and icing. I totally love it and it is worth the extra investment. thumbs_up.gif

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 14

I have the KA 5QT Professional and I love it. Unfortunately I don't have the attachments but I love it to death. IMO the bowl lift is the only way to go, once you try it you won't go the other way.

If you choose the 6QT you can double your recipes and such and since you say you're getting more orders coming in maybe you should get the 6qt. HTH

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 14

I have the flip top which can be very frustrating. I haven't used the lift off one, but think that they would be much better.

I believe mine is also a 5 qt bowl and it is far to small. I'd definitely go for the bigger bowl size.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 14

I'm going to go against the grain and tell you that the tilt head is the only thing for me. I've had and used both. The bowl lift or 600 series seems to beat everything a little more quickly, but I HATE that the head is always in the way. It's so much better for me to tilt the head back and scrape the bowl or add other ingredients. I think you should test them both out and see what you like best! icon_smile.gif

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a Pro 600 girl. I chose the 600 because for some reason it was 50% off at Macys about 2 years ago so I chose it instead of the artisan. The bowl is so much bigger than the 5 quart. I have nothing to compare it to, so I have not complaints. I could fit 3 batches of cake mix!

angelwaggoner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwaggoner Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 14

I have the 600 professional and I love it. I've never had anything else so I cannot compare to the tilt head. The only thing I will say is think of the extra horse power of the motor of the 6 qt. or bigger. The more horse power the less it will get bogged down when making frostings or cookies or bread dough. I make lots of bread dough in mine and it takes no time at all! I say horse power but maybe they call it watts?? I'm not sure, but the bigger motor is better. thumbs_up.gif

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 14

I'm a Pro 600 girl. I chose the 600 because for some reason it was 50% off at Macys about 2 years ago so I chose it instead of the artisan. The bowl is so much bigger than the 5 quart. I have nothing to compare it to, so I have no complaints. I could fit 3 batches of cake mix!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 14

I have the KA Heavy Duty plus bowl-lift kind. LOVE IT, but I have not uaed the other kind to compare it to. This is the only one I have had.

I would suggest you get an extra bowl or 2 or 3 though. I am only a hobby baker with a few sales now and then and my 1 bowl is not enough.

yeah for you!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 14

Big is best.

I had the 4.5 quart until this spring and it just isn't as nice.
I learned to bake with my grandma's bowl lift so I prefer that style anyway but I was SO glad to go back to it when I got my 6 quart.

Mothersuperior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mothersuperior Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 14

I use the 600 Pro, and although its a bit loud, I love it. And if you have a Macys near you, its on sales this coming holiday for $399. Good luck

Happy Baking!

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks, everyone for the input! I think for sure that I am going to go with a 5 Qt. mixer. I just have to decide between the tilt-head and the bowl-lift now.

The only thing I could see is the tilt head being easier for scraping the bowl and adding ingredients, but the bowl lift getting closer to the bottom for better mixing. I'm so conflicted! LOL icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%