Airbrushing Dilema

Decorating By bripastryguy Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm by bripastryguy

bripastryguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bripastryguy Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 9

No matter what surface I use (except fondant) when I airbrush it doesnt give a nice coat, it beeds up and drips down. I have tried confectioners buttercream, amix of fondant and shortening, and even crusting buttercream. The only one that works well is whipped topping/ cream. I am using a paasche airbrush with Chefmaster airbrush colors. What do you guys use?

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 9

I had that same problem with my Kopykake colors so I am switching to Americolors.

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 9

you may be spraying it to thick. A small amount of color goes a long way. Make sure your brush is always moving.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9

it sounds like your colour is 'pooling' spraying lighter coats should prevent this.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

Try airbrushing with your hand and airbrush farther away from the cake surface and hold the "trigger" slightly down not plunged all the way in. If the color is not coming on dark enough, gently continue to airbush slowly over that same area. It will take practice.

bripastryguy Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 9

i will give it a try. I had to spray 4 gift box cakes yesterday with burgundy. I used kopycake (gel) diluted with some vodka through a preval paint sprayer and i sprayed from 6inches away and then further away it still did the same thing. I have chefmaster airbrush colors, but i guess i will try the americolor

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 9

dont use the gels, get the airbrush colors

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 9

Not sure what you mean by kopykake gel...the airbrush colors that came with my airbrush are liquid....

bripastryguy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 9

ive used chefmaster airbrush colors, i only used the gel to see if would adhere better

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%