How To Transport A Castle Cake?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 2:08am by Kitagrl

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #1 of 14

I don't know what i got myself into... A friend asked me to make her daughter's 4th birthday cake. She's having a princess party and since I don't get to do many girly cakes, i decided on a castle. Thinking I needed to make it all edible, i made the turrets from RK treats. It's not very stable. I have to transport 15 miles and I'm worried it's not going to make it. It's fondant w/ BC accents. Any thoughts?

13 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #2 of 14

don't let your husband drive.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:16am
post #3 of 14

LOL mgdqueen! You must've seen my husband drive!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #4 of 14

Sorry I wasn't more help... icon_biggrin.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #5 of 14

Can you leave the turrets off until you get to the party? Otherwise, I would say make sure it's on a level surface, maybe put a non-skid mat under it, and drive REALLY slow!! I usually take corners at -2 mph, and people are looking at me like I'm crazy, but hey.....they don't have a cake to worry about!! I just keep thinking...someday, someone is going to rear-end me! icon_surprised.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #6 of 14

Refrigerate it overnight, it will make everything very stiff and much easier to transport.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:39am
post #7 of 14

Sorry I won't be much help. My DD cake stayed here. I had put it on plywood though in case I need to move it to a different table. I didn't need to. I used waffle cones for my turrets. They could have been place on later if I had to move it. I hope you get your answer.

christyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christyA Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:28am
post #8 of 14

I made a castle cake recently for my sister-in-law and she picked it up and transported it to the site the night before. She had to stop suddenly on the way and the top turret was leaning quite a bit when she arrived. But she was able to straighten it and everything was fine.

I think if you can put it in the back of your car, sitting on a piece of that grippy plastic shelfliner (you can get it at Walmart), you'll be fine. I tell you that stuff works great!

Oh, and drive slowly. icon_wink.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks guys, for the help. Well, the cake made it. I taped some of those large air-filled plastic things that they use for shipping on the sides of the bos just in case. I made DH come with me (he drove, LOL) because we're having 50mph wind gusts today and that sucker was heavy! icon_eek.gif I dropped it off, but no one was home, so I don't know how they liked it. I wasn't happy with it - the RK treats were too bumpy even with the fondant. I hope I never have to do a castle cake again!! I'll post a picture later.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 14

OK. it's posted. I'm really surprised it made it in one piece. I carried the top turrets separately. As you can see, the turrets are leaning but i think that's more b/c of the RK treats than the drive.

Is there another way to support such a cake so that it can be delivered assembled? I hate decorating on site with an audience - too much pressure!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:58am
post #11 of 14

Its VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would use alot of royal icing or fondant glue (extract mixed with fondant) to make it stick really good, and stick it to the board as well.... and then refrigerate the cake overnight and it all gets super stiff and travels great.

I also like to sometimes use foamcore boards, that way if you have to you can use a few skewers for support and actually stick the skewer down into the board to give it a little bit of "anchoring".

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:05am
post #12 of 14

Thanks Kitagirl! I did use foamcore for the board and wooden skewers to support the RKT turrets. My plan was to stick the pointy ends of the skewers into the foamcore, but DH persuaded me it would never work and i cut them off! Unfortunatley, this cake was too big for the fridge! Refrigerating seems to make a big difference.

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:29am
post #13 of 14

So you do use supports for the turrets? I am going to make a castle cake on Friday and need some tips on how to make and attach the turrets and how to transport.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #14 of 14

I'm not 100% sure...with my castle I used melted candy to attach it to the board and then also icing to attach it to the castle...and then refrigerated it overnight.

It usually stays pretty good but sometimes one of the turrets comes loose. So far I haven't had any complaints except one time my dh delivered one that started to come loose, but I had already been having trouble with it. I'm sure somebody might know a more foolproof way....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%