Pricing Buttercream Transfers

Business By smileyface Updated 28 Aug 2005 , 7:03am by eleets_treats

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 22

The pricing matrix I have has BCTs listed as small, medium & large with prices for each one. I am trying to figure out what size my BCT would be considered. Has anyone used the pricing matrix to figure a BCT for a cake? Anyone have any idea how to determine my size BCTs in general?? Anyone have prices they charge for BCT's when that is the main design on the cake? I think it should also be determined by how detailed your design it.

Any help deciding a price is welcome! I have to give this lady an answer today and I am so confused and am hoping you bakers who have been at this a while can help a beginner out! I have only sold a few cakes.

Thanks!

21 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 22

I try to price my cakes according to the overall size and decoration of the cake. For a 1/4 sheet cake with a normal transfer(easy)...I would charge $25.00. For a more detailed transfer(lots of colors)...I would charge at least 30.00. I also charge extra for fillings. Most of my customers order sheet cakes without a filling. What size cake are you doing and what kind of BCT? Let us know and then that can give us a better idea of what you should charge. icon_razz.gif
traci

smileyface Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks Traci! This is for a friend so I am nervous about charging her but she tells me I have given her enough free cake. It actually two cupcake cakes. It is a small party for two little girls 1 day apart so she wants 12 cupcake on each so both girls can have their own cake. I will attach the pictures since the cake are done. I just attached one. They are idential except the names. The party is today, LOL!! Nothing like wait until the last minute for my price. I "hate" this part.

smileyface Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 22

Here is my cupcake cake
LL

smileyface Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 22

Here is another example. This one I did for my son. It was a 9 x 13 one layer buttercream frosting with no filling. This BCT is pretty detailed and most of the ones I do are like this. I have the pricing matrix but still have very mixed feelings on what to charge another friend who wants something similar.

Thanks again for any input!
LL

traci Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 22

I think for the cupcake cake I would charge 20.00 a piece...but since it is your friend maybe 15.00. For the BEAUTIFUL Toy Story cake...I would charge 35.00...but if for a friend maybe 30.00. I always give a discount for my friends...but in return I ask them to please pass on my cards and refer me to other people. And I have gotten a lot of business like that! I have 7 cakes already for this weekend! If you feel a little uneasy about prices...I would kindly explain that detailed decorations take more time and therefore will cost more. People will usually understand...you can always give them the option for an easier decoration if they want to pay less. Hope that helps! Your cakes look awesome!!! thumbs_up.gif
traci

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 22

for friends i really under charge.. just bc they do bring me business..

smileyface Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks for the help. I ended up only charging $24 for both. Locally they can get cupcake for .45 a piece. WOW, really $35 for the buzz and woody cake? How do you figure that? I know it took a long time for the BCT's but I don't think I would ever pay that much for that cake (probably cause I can do them, LOL). I called some bakeries here in town for prices. I included what I found here. I was so surprised & disappointed at how low they can price cakes. I really don't see how I can get any customers and charge so much more than them. For instance, Walmart sell there basic 1/4 sheet cake for $11.88. I was so SHOCKED!! I guess maybe I will have to stick to just baking for friends & family. I really don't see how I can compete. Although I had a piece of birthday cake at a party a few weeks back and I literally had to resist the temptation of throwing it in the trash. The icing was so greasey and the cake was too dry.

Bakery  1/4 sheet cake  1/2 sheet cake  dozen cupcakes
Mickey's  16.29  25.79  5.4
Food Lion  13.99  19.99  5.99
Walmart  11.88  19.88  4.88
Winn-Dixie  13.99  23.99  5.99
Commissary  13.99  23.99  3.3 1/2 dozen

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 22

Hey Tonia...I'm having the same problem here. There isn't really anyone in my area that sells specialty cakes, so when someone asks me to do a cake and I tell them the price I usually hear a lot of "Wow, I'll just go to Wal-mart." It's really hard to compete.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 22

Okay, they can get them cheaper at the markets you just mentioned, but can they get what they want? For example, the Buzz and Woody cake: Can they actually walk into a Walmart, Winn-Dixie,, or the commissary and tell the sales clerk they want a Buzz and Woody cake? The folks in those bakery's are limited to what their main offices allow.

Don't be afraid to compete with the markets... people will pay for what they know is good quality and made to their peculiar specifications.

Debbi

smileyface Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 22

Misdawn, sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I am just stumped at how low the prices are especially Walmart. I guess I will just have to do what you do and let them go to Walmart if they aren't willing to pay more for a better tasting and looking cake. How do you figure your prices? The matrix? Do you have you own list based on sizes?

Debbi, Do you use the matrix for your prices? If you have your own list based on sizes, I would be interested in looking at that. Are you a lot higher than bakeries on your area? Yes, I know they can't get the detailed work I can do at the bakeries but I just don't know how I can make it worth my while unless they are willing to pay about double the price. I had a lady ask my about plain cupcakes with a swirl on them at the party last night. She was really complimenting me on my cake taste and the non greasy icing. I told her I would have to check but probably around $1 per cupcake. Her eyes about bugged out and the conversation didn't go much further. Now I know when she can get them for less than .50 a piece I doubt she will call me. thumbsdown.gif

Oh well, such is life I guess.

Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 22

I use my own formala for creating my prices. I use an excel document and made specific formaulas to figure the price of each ingredient. Then I add that up and add it to my labor charge. Which is $5/hr. Now this charge includes EVERYTHING I am doing for the cake: decorating, mixing, etc. If I have to go shopping to get a specific ingredient that that specific cake needs, I'll charge labor otherwise I don't charge for the shopping time. I do NOT charge for time while it's in the oven because I'm not actually doing anything. A basic 1/4 sheet cake with a border and maybe a medium difficulty BCT would cost about $35-45.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 22

does anyone have a price matrix they can e-mail me? I so, my e-mail address is: [email protected]
Thanks!!

cakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4fun Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 22

misdawn,
would you use this matrix for charging all your cakes or just the ones with transfers??

i want to start to sell my cakes but I'm at a lost at how much to charge???
HELP!!! I dont want to over charge but I do want to make some money for my time and effort.....Thanks!!!

smileyface Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 22

Just sent you the one I have.

Good luck!

smileyface Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 22

Misdawn, I think that's the same problem I am running into. When someone can get a kit with a cake from Walmart for well under $20, I don't see me being able to sell my very detailed cakes for $35. I mean even after seeing how detailed I can do, my friends (honest to a fault, gotta love them, LOL) tell me that even though my icing and cakes taste way better they can not afford to pay that much for a better cake. Guess I need to find friends who have friends with a more expensive taste, LOL!!

Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:39pm
post #17 of 22

I try to buy all my ingredients at Sam's Club when possible, so I can get them in bulk. This makes the overall price of the cake cheaper. But I'm still not really copmetitive with the chain stores. It's also very hard for me because there is a restaurant in my town called "The Butcher Shop" and they have their own specialty bakery inside the restaurant. They specialize in wedding cakes and specialty cakes. I haven't given up, but my dream is to have my own shop and decorate full time, but it doesn't seem like this is going to happen.

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 5:44am
post #18 of 22

I had a similar problem with a very close friend she wanted a 2 tier wedding cake w/flowers but the problem was that she wanted it free. I am not working at the moment but if so I would of done it so I said give me $50.00 for the supplies 100.00 cheaper. She said her sister was going to buy her on not a problem, DO NOT FEEL BAD on charging trust me you will get family and friends wanting for less BUSINESS is BUSINESS I read this on www.earlenescakes.com she has a business section and wedding cake contract also. You charge your customer what you are going to charge it is your decision if you will give it for free or half off. She said if you are buying a pack of cookies you are not going to ask them for a reasonable price right you have to pay regardless. Believe me it's hard w/family it's the same where ever they go they are going to pay the only difference w/walmart, Sams,Cosco ect. are the prices but a homemade cake is always better tasting. Call a near by bakery and get prices it is cheaper for them because they buy in bulk and you don't so don't feel bad on what you charge.

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 7:11am
post #19 of 22

I agree with cakefanatic . When I used to buy my daughters birthday cakes I would never think twice about paying the $35. Why? Because I knew I was getting a homemade delicious cake which is something wal-mart doesn't have. So charge what your work is worth and you'll see you will start building up your clientel

traci Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:16am
post #20 of 22

There are many clients that will be looking for a specialty cake. Anyone that has ever questioned my prices...I politely explain to them that I do very detailed work and that is why they cost more. Most people understand. I really do not think you are too far off on your Buzz cake. I actually called a popular bakery in my area to see how much they charge for a 1/2 sheet cake. She said they start at 35.00...and go up depending on what decorations you get. I am trying to be firm on my prices...especially because some designs take so much time!!!!
traci icon_smile.gif

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 11:25pm
post #21 of 22

I think that if we are offering specialty products we can charge specialty prices. It is that simple. I take the time to meet with brides and/or clients to discuss exactly what they want. This type of special ordering comes with a price. Don't feel bad for charging for this work. We are creative artists. Not just anyone can do what we do!!! icon_biggrin.gif

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 7:03am
post #22 of 22

hi, i am in australia and have been working from home for about 6 months and have done a few paid cakes maybe 15 or so, and i just calculate the cost of ingredients to buy, and then i double it. but for a wedding cake i triple it. just wondering what this "pricing matrix" is?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%