How Do I Make My Cupcakes Look Like This?

Baking By sugar_rush Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 7:54pm by MadMillie

sugar_rush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 10

Can someone please explain exactly how to apply icing to my cupcakes so they'll look like these? Please detail what tips are needed, too. I really want to make cupcakes look like these but so far all of my efforts have failed.





9 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 10

For the top peach colored one, it just looks like a swirl, starting from the outside and working in, using the large 1M tip (Wilton).

Not sure about the other 2 but I'd sure like to find out - they look great.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 10

The first one looks like a round tip from the inside out. The other looks like a round tip, just really big. I'm not sure what size.

pinkmelmac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkmelmac Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 10

The second picture looks like they took the back tip of a spoon and swirled from inside clue about the last...........they are beautiful though....would love to know as well. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 10

As stated before the first (peach) one is done with a large tip (1M) and swirled from the out side in.

The second picture has the cupcakes iced plainly and then the tapered spatula is run through the icing in a circle to give the swirled effect.

The 3rd picture doesn't look like it is even icing at all. I believe that it is marshmallow (homemade) piped onto the cupcake top and then left to settle on top to give that superior mound look.

Have fun and let us know how it works out for you. Hope this helps! icon_wink.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 10

Wow, they are great aren't they?

The last one looks like the inside of one of those Marshmallow Puff cookies, with the crust, a layer of jam and enrobed in chocolate. Maybe you have to extract the middle. icon_lol.gif

Could it be some kind of stabilized whip cream put on with a large round tip? I'd love to know as well.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10

The chocolate ones in the bottom picture look like homemade marshmallow has been piped onto them. For the top picture I have used tip 2D to get this same swirl and they always look very nice.
The middle picture looks like icing was piped on then swirled by hand with a spatula or something similar.

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 10

As several people said above, the 2nd style of frosting displayed above is done using a large spatula. Here are 2 things that might help you further as I always find visuals helpful. First is this video of Seattle cupcake store employees frosting cupcakes this way:

Second is this animated image of a different store's employee doing a similar technique. Hope this helps!


sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10

I think the second one was done with a coupler and no tip... The kind of coupler with the slit in the side. It looks like that ridge was made by the frosting coming out of the slit - depending on the angle of the bag.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%