Ganache Help

Business By nicksmom Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 7:25pm by Sweetpeeps

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:58am
post #1 of 20

I am attempting ganache for the first time ,and just want to double check t hat I am on the right track icon_smile.gif It's dark chocolate candy melts and heavy cream correct??? then you just pour over cake(on wire rack),and do you do it while it is warm or cooled icon_confused.gif and I do not plan on frosting w/ BC first,I just want to cover with ganache as long as my cake surface is nice enough icon_smile.gif any ganache expertise would be appreciated thumbs_up.gif

19 replies
heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:04am
post #2 of 20

its heavy cream & chocolate chips like Nestle I have made it a few times great stuff. If you pour you have to wait till it cools first.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:19am
post #3 of 20

Here's an easy recipe using chocolate chips:

http://tinyurl.com/wafof

Also found this how-to:

http://www.cooking.com/advice/adarticle2.asp?id=121&seq=3

HTH

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #4 of 20

I use belguim chocolate. I whip up most of it after its cooled and ice my cake with it first then with the reserved I reheat and pour on top. Make sure you keep enough for pouring don't whip all of it. There are 2 pics in my photos. You can also pipe with the whipped portion.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 20

I am sooooooooooo not getting this icon_sad.gif I understand you bring the cream to a point where it's just about to boil,and pour over chips in bowl.but how cooled does it have to be before I pour it on my cake or is it asap.and whats the difference between using a wooden spoon or whipping.cause if its whipped you wouldn't pour it right??????

cakesondemand Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 20

bring the cream to boiling put the chips in mix and let it cool to room temp before you pour or it will be to hot for the cake. If you decide you want to whip and frost the cake with it cool it in the fridge, take out what you need for pouring and whip up the rest of it to ice your cake with. for the saved portion reheat and pour on top of the frosted cake. You only need a thin layer of the whipped to make the cake look nicer and you can use the rest of the whipped to pipe boarders.

cakesondemand Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 20

here's a picture of iced with whipped then poured on top. When you whip some of the ganache it becomes lighter in color so when you pour the reserved portion after being warmed up you have the light and dark colors and taste yummy. Hope I explained it right pm me if you need more help.
LL

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:48am
post #8 of 20

cakesondemand ... what a perfect cake to use as an example! That's about as perfect as a ganache-covered cake gets!!! Beautiful!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesondemand Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 20

Thank you I love it when my customers order them. I started making ganache when I was working as a decorator for Costco so I had to do lots of them no choice but to perfect them Costco was picky about that.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 20

Do you have to keep ganache covered cake refrigerated?

cakesondemand Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:20am
post #11 of 20

yes I do its made with cream.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 20

ganache is fine at room temp (providing it's not really hot) for at least 2-3 days

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 20

cakesondemand,
when you whip the ganache, do you have to add anything to it or do you just whip it??? It also looks like its stiff enough to do roses and piping with it. That cake looks seriously yummy, maybe I'll do one for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for you help!

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 20

Ganache can be piped whipped or unwhipped. I never whip it because it loses it's color and shine

TrisCorey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrisCorey Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 20

My first ganache cake I did, I did not put a layer of icing on first. The problem you may have, is you will be unable to reuse the ganached the drips from the cake, it may get crumbs. I really didn't like the waste. The second time. I iced the cake smooth first with the whipped ganached. Then poured the ganache over the cake. It is so much prettier.

HTH.

Tris

cakesondemand Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #16 of 20

[quote="TrisCorey"]My first ganache cake I did, I did not put a layer of icing on first. The problem you may have, is you will be unable to reuse the ganached the drips from the cake, it may get crumbs. I really didn't like the waste. The second time. I iced the cake smooth first with the whipped ganached. Then poured the ganache over the cake. It is so much prettier.

HTH.

Tris[/quote

You don't add anything to the ganache just whip it you will need to cool completely and when whipped it will be lighter in color and yes you can pipe with it. Tris is right better if you ice the cake with the whipped icing first then pour the reserved that wasn't whipped over the top you will have to re-heat to a pouring consistancy.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

yes I do its made with cream.

Thanks Sharon.

ryansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryansmama Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 20

I am making a dark choc. fudge cake mix (with choc. fudge pudding added to the mix). I want to make layers, but have never done fillings before. What do you think of this? Choc. ganache with thin slices of strawberries on top. Do you think I should whip the ganache or leave it as is and do you recommend making a glaze with the strawberries or just using plain sliced? Also what kind of frosting would complement this? It's a baby carriage cake, so I need white frosting...would a cream cheese taste good or just a reg buttercream??

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm
post #19 of 20

when you whip ganache you can flavor it with extracts and liquor .

I put my ganache in the fridge just to cool it off a bit before I whip it.

I ice may cake smooth, place it on a cake board the same size of the cake and ice with the whipped ganache or any other icing.

Put in freezer while I make my ganache to pour...

place my now frozen cake, after I smooth it a little so I have a nicer surface to work with...on a cooling rack that I've placed in a parchment covered sheet pan.

Pour my ganache..I start in the middle and move my hand in a circle to cover the top. I make sure that I tilt the container so enough comes out..quickly..especially around the edges.

I then hold my sheet pan with my 2 hands and shake it a little to encourage all the extra to run down the cake.

BTW you ganache cannot be too hot or it will melt the frosting underneath....it should run like honey or molasses.

when the ganache stops running....I put a spatula under the cake...lift it onto my hand and run the spatula around the bottom of the cake board..I do this on another piece of parchment on the table...then I place my cake on the decorative board.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:25pm
post #20 of 20

This is great info. I've been wanting to try one but, I was being a chicken. One question though. I've heard people using ganache as filling. Is this the same thing? And would I whip it first or just use the syrupy stuff? TIA You guys are all awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%