What Would You Do? (Long)

Lounge By splash2splat Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm by thems_my_kids

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #1 of 13

First off I love my mom but what would you do? This weekend I am entering two cakes and a sugar art piece in a fair and my parents and little brother wanted to come up (I was very pleased) but they own 6 dogs (I own zero). I asked that they not especially if they come up before I deliver the cakes and then I asked that they not bring all of them. I live in a one level 3 bedroom house. They said they would kennel two (thankfully the ones who are not potty trained) but I just feel its not fair of them to expect me to deal with their four dogs (all in door, ranging from standard poodle to minature poddle & two tea cup poodles) Should I just suck it up and not worry about it or do I have the right to ask that they not bring their dogs. I want them to come but should I have to put up with their dogs. My mom doesn't understand what the big deal is because their part of their family and I understand that but they don't clean up after their dogs outside and inside there are potty pads every where and I have a 19 month old. So what would you guys do?

12 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #2 of 13

I would very politely and very firmly tell her that you have a no-pet household. Tell her how thrilled you would be for them to visit, but unfortunately, the dogs are not welcome in your home. There's no reason for you to have to welcome their pets in order for them to visit. It's really a huge inconvenience to you and quite a presumption on her part that it's "no big deal." Not to mention the issue of having animals in the house while baking.

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:26am
post #3 of 13

Do they take the dogs on vacation to hotels with them?
I don't think so.
Do they go with them when they go out to eat?
I don't think so.
Do you have to welcome them in your home?
I don't think so...

Blame the baby, blame the cakes, blame whatever you need to make the point, but my answer would be no way in hell...
thumbsdown.gif

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #4 of 13

If you don't want the dogs there ask them to not bring them. Just be prepared for them to not show up! I have a maltese and a yorkie... we're talking to very pampered, very clean, very small dogs. I have taken them to my sons house but always ask permission. If someone were to ask me not to bring them I would probably decline the visit but it would not hurt my feeling or make me mad. I will board my maltese but I can't board my yorkie.... it would be devastating for her. She's very timid and fragile, I just couldn't put her thru the stress. I have taken them on trips and stayed in very nice lodging that accepts small pets. That might be a good option for you relatives. They could crate them and visit you some during the day and then go back to their room and enjoy their pets.

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 10:06am
post #5 of 13

I agree with you. A standard poodle in addition to THREE other dogs is quite a lot to ask you to put up with. If they also use those pads....umm...gross, especially with a toddler around. I think you should use whichever reason your family will accept best. Only you know which one that might be, but if the idea of it makes you uncomfortable you should definitely let them know!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 13

No way do I allow visting pets in my house. If I wanted pets in my home, I'd own one. But since I dont' own one, that should tell you something.

If someone tried to guilt me into it with the "well if I can't bring my dogs then I'm not coming" crap ..... well, it will be a shame that we can't get together this year, huh?

I don't think it's unreasonable to "ask" about bringing one pet, but FOUR????????? icon_eek.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 13

No honkin' way. Especially with a toddler toddlin' around. Tell them you're sorry, you changed your mind, the furry family has to stay at home.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 13

I am a big, huge dog person, but oh my god, no! Our dogs are like kids to us, and we have traveled cross country with them, staying in pet friendly hotels. You didn't mention how far away they live, but if this is just a day trip, why can they not leave the dogs at home?

The fact that those dogs are not housebroken is more than enough reason to say no. I've housebroken a lot of dogs and there is no way I would ever use those potty pads - all they do is teach the dog to go inside icon_eek.gif What's the point of that? Clearly your mom doesn't find anything wrong with that , so maybe you could also approach it from a dog safety standpoint. Toddlers should not be around little teeny dogs anyway. Toddlers are too young to understand how gentle they have to be with those little things, and the little things will be quick to snap at toddlers who are (unintentionally) too rough.

-Lisa

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 13

I think everyone is right . . . . its your home, you have the right to ask them not to bring any dogs with them.

Maybe its normal in their home, but you and your child are not used to having pee-pads (YUK!) all over your home and dogs running around. Its not normal, I don't care how much you love your dogs, to impose and assume that your dogs can travel to someones home with you.

I would go so far as to find a local hotel/motel that allows pets, and call your mom with their information. Or what about a campground???

I travel with my dogs whenever I can, but never to someones home. We always stay at a pet friendly hotel or campground and try to take trips that our dogs can go on with us. If not, no big deal. Life doesn't have to revolve around the dogs!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 13

I think everyone is right . . . . its your home, you have the right to ask them not to bring any dogs with them.

Maybe its normal in their home, but you and your child are not used to having pee-pads (YUK!) all over your home and dogs running around. Its not normal, I don't care how much you love your dogs, to impose and assume that your dogs can travel to someones home with you.

I would go so far as to find a local hotel/motel that allows pets, and call your mom with their information. Or what about a campground???

I travel with my dogs whenever I can, but never to someones home. We always stay at a pet friendly hotel or campground and try to take trips that our dogs can go on with us. If not, no big deal. Life doesn't have to revolve around the dogs!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 13

Like the other poster said, blame it on the cakes. Four dogs around cakes is just gross, first of all, and second of all, what if one did something to the cakes? Or dog hair was in your sugar piece. Eew.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with the other posters! No way. . .My parents are smokers. They dont smoke in this house. No way! Same concept. . .I have a Westie and she is house trained and outside when I need her to be. My parents house sat for us during the spring. . . They didn't smoke in the house. (My Son was here and would have narc'd them out!) They did bring their 2 weinie dogs and they did the same with them as I do with my dog. It's about respect for your wishes and your home. The last thing you need is 4 dogs running amock, wreaking havoc on your pieces. I'd say. . .Sorry no dogs this weekend.

Elle

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 13

I would not have problem at all saying, sorry, no pets in my house!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%