Peanut Butter Buttercream Type Frosting?

Baking By ediecooks Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 12:37pm by mgdqueen

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:23am
post #1 of 10

I went to a wedding last weekend that had cupcakes in addition to a wedding cake. they had a chocolate cupcake with a creamy PB flavored frosting. the PB really cut the sweetness of the BCit was just piped on the cupcake with a big star tip, nothing fancy but it was definitely pretty firm at the slightly cooler than room temp that it was served at.

any ideas? i'd think just adding PB to a the wilton class buttercream recipe i use would make it too soft.

9 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:31am
post #2 of 10

I think you could try it. I never have but I think it would be interesting to find out. If adding pb makes it too soft, you can always add some more powdered sugar to get it back to the right consistency. Maybe you could try starting off with thick consistency and limit your liquids at first until after you add the pb.

Hope it works! Let us know how it turns out.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:37am
post #3 of 10

I added peanut butter to my regular all-butter buttercream icing recently, and it was magnificent! Just add to taste--I didn't measure--and add more powdered sugar or liquid as necessary.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #4 of 10

Modthyrth,
Does your peanut butter icing have the same consistency of a regular crusting buttercream? I've tried adding PB to the half crisco -half butter recipe but it comes out fluffy-delicious-but too fluffy. Do you think it's because I added the crisco AND the pb?

Ediecooks-sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread, but I was searching for this answer when I saw your post icon_smile.gif

Amy

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:18am
post #5 of 10

Here's a CC peanut butter buttercream recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-877-36-Peanut-Butter-Frosting.html

HTH

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 6:55am
post #6 of 10

Hmm, I made my pb buttercream with an all-butter bc. It was going under fondant, so I didn't care about crusting and didn't pay a lot of attention to the texture, sorry!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:23am
post #7 of 10

I make a caramel vanilla cake with peanut butter chips and the icing that I use is a peanut butter butter cream. I simply add about 1/2-3/4 cup to my regular vanilla butter cream, and mix extra well with my stand mixer. If it gets too "thin", I just add in more powdered sugar. Easy fix! I also add peanut butter to cream cheese for a filling with the above cake. Again, I just add peanut butter to my cream cheese icing. Yummy and oh, so good!!!

Amy

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 10

thanks everyone!

i've bookmarked that recipe in my box and will try it out!

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 10

Just wanted ya'll to get a good laugh. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was using the paddle instead of the beater on my mixer. So, I was mixing instead of beating..and apparently I didn't do it long enough. DUH!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 10

I only use my paddle attachment for my KA unless I'm making bread or MMF with the dough hook or whipping egg whites for meringue or angel food cake with my beater.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%