Cake Is Too Moist!!!!

Baking By sugartopped Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 12:16am by cocopuff

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 8

ok, this may sound werid but...lately my cakes have been coming out way to moist....they almost feel and look wet!! i usually use a cake mix and either use the cake mix doctor or add the cake mix extender.

not sure what is going on....but i like a nice soft moist cake...but mine have kinda almost been mushy! i measure everything out exactly like the recipes states and i've been using the same ones for a year now....but the last couple months they've been getting way too mosit!

anyone have any idea what is going on??
thanks,
christine

7 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 8

yeah that has happen to me.....

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #3 of 8

The weather can make a difference. Has the humidity been high????

sugartopped Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:03am
post #4 of 8

yeah, it's always humid here!! icon_confused.gif

what can i adjust to get of rid of the extra moistness w/o making the cake dry??

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

Yeah, this has happened to me. Everyone said they were undercooked but they weren't. When I cooked them longer, the edges were too done and had a burned/yucky flavor....... I always use the nail method to get that heat to the middle of the cake but sometimes it still comes out wet....hellooo cake balls!

sugartopped Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:09am
post #6 of 8

well i've been baking them a few days ahead of time and then letting them 'air' dry a bit!! seems to help a bit....but not much!! so far no has complained or said anything.....(cross my fingers they don')....but i can tell a difference and i don't like it much....taste or texture wise!! and if i don't like it....then i don't like to give it to my customers!!

would i reduce the liquid or eggs??

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8

I wouldn't reduce anything, because baking is considered formula based. The result depends on the exact amount of ingredients.

Alternately, what you can do is to turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven, with the door ever so slightly ajar (fold a piece of parchment paper up into a wad and put it between the door and frame, if you have to), for another 15 minutes. This might drive some of the moisture out.

My cakes always end up like that. I leave them out, covered only with a thin cloth, overnight, so the sides dry enough to ice them properly. A wet cake is going to crumb like confetti.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cocopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocopuff Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #8 of 8

If your recipe has not changed maybe it's the temperature of your oven. I've experienced the same problem and resulted to using an oven thermometer.. I found that my oven was actually baking 10 degrees cooler than I'd set it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%