Beach Cake--Writing In Sand Question

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm by SweetSandee92

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a beach themed cake and need to write in the "sand". I had planned on using light brown sugar for my sand. How can I get the writing to stay put without shifting as the cake is transported? Can I somehow make it wet sand and carve my lettering in? The customer requested the writing be in the sand and I am at a loss! This is my first paid cake!

Thanks!!!!

Angela

4 replies
teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 5

Can you set the cake up at its location then write in the sand?

I used malted milk crunch for sand on my shell cake. Once the humidity got to it, the crunch set up and didn't budge.

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 5

I crushed graham crackers and mixed with brown sugar then did the lettering. My problem was not that the sand would move and disturbe the lettering but that as I was writing, the icing didn't want to let go of the tip or the sand. Grab a toothpick for this!

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

I agree, set it up at the location. Maybe try writing, then using a dropper, drop water into the writing.

BTW, your avatar ROCKS!!

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecakes

I crushed graham crackers and mixed with brown sugar then did the lettering. My problem was not that the sand would move and disturbe the lettering but that as I was writing, the icing didn't want to let go of the tip or the sand. Grab a toothpick for this!

Amiecakes.. I totally feel you on that.. thumbs_up.gif ! On my luau cake.. I used graham crackers also...the cake took no time to assemble.. it was the writing that took what seemed like forever!!... had to keep starting over icon_mad.gif ! I was so embarrassed icon_redface.gif when my mother said.."why don't you just cut it off with a toothpick?"....*V-8 moment* why didn't I think of that! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%