Ribbon Wrapped Cake

Decorating By wyliecakes Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 4:40am by Oleta

wyliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyliecakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:17am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a wedding cake which is supposed to have each tier wrapped with a ribbon. What kind of ribbon will work best? I want one that won't let the icing seep through since it will be iced in BC.

5 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

Hi wyliecakes and welcome to CC!

If you do a search in the forums there is lots of info and tips on how to use ribbon on a bc covered cake without ruining the ribbon. I have never actually done it so I'm a bit fuzzy on the tips but I know it has been discussed quite a bit so you should be about to find what you need!

icon_smile.gif d

ladybugs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybugs2 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

I put ribbon around the bottom of my sisters wedding cake and we used the sheer ribbon. I comes in many different colors and widths. We got hers from michaels, but HL, Wal-mart, or any fabric store should have it. However, I do not suggest that you use the "wired" kind, it was hard to work it around with out putting indentions in the cake. Have also heard of ironing wax paper on the back of ribbon to keep it from getting the spots. HTH, very new to this cake thing. icon_razz.gif

wyliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyliecakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:56am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the input! I love this site. It feels like I'm talking to friends! I'll look into the ribbon thing a little more. In one of my Wilton books it suggested single faced satin ribbon. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm going to try to find some tomorrow. Thanks again!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

Hi, I'm actually putting together a cake together with ribbon for the first time tomorrow. The best tip I've seen is to grease the ribbon the night before so whatever the grease is going to do to the ribbon will happen within 24 hours.

Oleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oleta Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:40am
post #6 of 6

When I use ribbon on a cake with butter cream, I try to find the ribbon that is polystyrene(sp?) Grease doesn't seep through it and that is a real plus. I have also ironed wax paper and the white plastic coated freezer paper on the back of the ribbon but that is a real pain!

I don't understand the post regarding greasing the ribbon the night before. Is this just testing on a sample?

Oleta

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%