Williams Sonoma Pumpkin Pan

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 4:08am by SueW

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 27

Hi has anyone used this pan yet for a pumpkin it seems like the same thing as using the two bundt pans but I know as a fact I will be getting it as a gift so was wondering if you have or have used it do you use a durable cake with it or could I use any kind of cake? Does anyone know how many it feeds?

26 replies
quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:03am
post #2 of 27

I have no idea what kind of cake to use (other than a pound cake), but I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!! I am lusting after that pan, for no good reason. I don't need it, I'm not doing any Halloween or Thanksgiving cakes that I know of, but I have wanted that pan since Williams-Sonoma first sent me an e-mail about it. Wonder if it'll be discounted after the fall? [Though it's no longer available thru the website.] I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT!! Anyway, I just found this recipe on the W-S website, and it says the pan serves 12: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=C2BD5334%2D9927%2D428E%2D9DD50962363605DD Hope that helps!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:16am
post #3 of 27

I got one and I am in love with it. It makes a smaller pumpkin than two bundt cakes do . . plus, it doesnt have the hole in the middle that way. I made a pumpkin spice cake in this pan and just drizzled it with thinned buttercream--my family loved it.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #4 of 27

OK, bad influences! I am going to Williams Sonoma store tomorrow and now I'll be in trouble! I just saw these and that they were so cute - do you guys have the minis or the big one?

Melissa

KatieTaylor77 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #5 of 27

Honest answer???? As a treat I got the great pumpkin pan, the mini pumpkin pan (it makes little cupcake sized pumpkins) and the pumpkin mini cheesecake pan . . . I love them all!!!
I used the mini pan and made little pumpkin trays to take to a party . . . I'm going to use the mini cheesecake pan to make pumpkin cheesecake bites for Thanksgiving . . . and then of course I love my great pumpkin pan. See??? I can justify each and every purchase!!!!!! icon_evil.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:55am
post #6 of 27

My husband will hate you! LOL It's just a great time of year for baking, so it seems more justifiable than heart shapes (which I got once and only used once and gave away when we moved!).

Hmmm... my trip for a cookie scoop that holds 3 tbsps of batter is expanding... Maybe I can ask that to be my early Birthday present? (not that we give gifts, but it sounds good! LOL)

Dangerous place that Williams Sonoma. I LOVE that store! My MIL thought I was nuts when I asked her to get me something from there for my birthday last year. She said, "I want to get you something fun, not work." I told her an ice cream maker IS fun and she thought I was crazy, but she does agree that their handsoap and lotion combo is nice, but she's into that stuff.

Rubbing hands eagerly...

Melissa

KatieTaylor77 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:11am
post #7 of 27

Trust me . . . my boyfriend gave up trying to rationalize with me years ago!!! I don't complain about what he spends on the suspension, tires, etc for our FJ Cruiser . . . he can shush about my baking addiction! icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 27

a friend's husband works for WS and I asked her if she could get it for me with a discount and that I would give them and gift certificate to the restaurant where my husband works for $30 and trade benefits I guess, but she said he could really get in trouble for it he works for corporate I guess is not worth loosing his job instead she said she is giving it to me as a gift but cannot take anything in return for it, I didn't want to start reading into it so I thanked her, yes I do like the fact that it is smaller than two bundt pans and you don't have to worry about a hole, but I wonder if you can still ice it with bc

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 27

oh you guys are such a bad influence!!!! I just went to the site and now I have to have the mini cheesecake pan! And the closest WS is an hour away! icon_cry.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 27

I'm going to make a trip out of it today with my little guy. First, I'll go to Sur La Table in the adjoining "ritzy" mall as Sur La table actually has more stuff and is a tad more reasonable. Then, I'm going to Williams Sonoma. Should be a fun trip. And now that I made all sorts of room in my kitchen with my "makeover" I've got itchy fingers! LOL

Melissa

P.S. and DH can't complain because he's buying a new Mac computer when we really don't need one. I mean, we have a mac laptop, an older PC that works just fine for our needs and a newer smaller capacity pc too... How many computers can a family of 4 need? Of course, he can rationalize it, but I can too! LOL

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 27

Ummm... so are you going to Tyson's Corner today!? LOL That HAS to be the closest mall if you are saying an hour's drive.... Hey, hit the Sur La Table in the Tyson 1 (actually, they have a Williams Sonoma in BOTH of these malls next door to each other).

Hey, if you see a lady with a funky green stroller and a red headed toddler (18 months) it's me! LOL (though I'm going this morning to avoid the craziness there - always busy!)

Melissa

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 27

Have any of you seen the bunt brownie pan from them? I am wondering if it would be too small for the mini-pumpkins. It looks soo cute online though.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

Hi has anyone used this pan yet for a pumpkin it seems like the same thing as using the two bundt pans but I know as a fact I will be getting it as a gift so was wondering if you have or have used it do you use a durable cake with it or could I use any kind of cake? Does anyone know how many it feeds?

I went on the William-Sonoma website and cannot find the pan you referenced. Did you buy it online or at the store? Do you know the number?
Thanks,
Sandra

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 27

I want that 7" Williams Sonoma pumpkin pan too but $35 is a little rich for my blood. (maybe next year) I did however purchase the WS mini bunt pan - the cupcake looking one with six pumpkin (bundt) halves and a TJ Maxx for $16.99. I believe the the WS site sells it for $24. I dont think the 7" Great Pumpkin pan is available yet at any other store but WS - damn it!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 27

I went into a WS store for the first time last weekend. One just opened in my area. The first thing that I saw when I walked in the door was that wonderful pumpkin pan. I love it!!!! I just stood there right inside the door forever! Then my husband picked it up and saw the price...$32.00, and took my arm and made me move along to the next section. I was in there to find green spatulas, spoons, measuring cups, etc. to match my KA, but I was told that the color won't be out again until spring. I was very disapointed by that, but I still could not convince my husband that I needed the pumpkin pan to cheer me up. icon_rolleyes.gif

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 27

Damn men! They just don't understarnd how we NEED that pan!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Ummm... so are you going to Tyson's Corner today!? LOL That HAS to be the closest mall if you are saying an hour's drive.... Hey, hit the Sur La Table in the Tyson 1 (actually, they have a Williams Sonoma in BOTH of these malls next door to each other).

Hey, if you see a lady with a funky green stroller and a red headed toddler (18 months) it's me! LOL (though I'm going this morning to avoid the craziness there - always busy!)

Melissa

Melissa,
I wish I could make it out to Tysons today but have to pick my boys up from preschool at noon. I used to work out there and was always in that store spending way too much money. Didn't know about Sur La Table, I think its been a year since I've been out there. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to make a trip out there soon, maybe we can meet up. It'd be neat to actually meet someone in person from this site. Happy shopping!
Zoraya

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 27

Well, I'm back! Bought the mini pan and now I'm gonna kick myself if I can get it at my local TJMaxx - I will look and return if that's the case! I couldn't swallow the $32 for that pumpkin pan as I can get other pumpkin pans for that 1/2 that price.

At Sur La Table I got those silicone muffin liners for 50% off because they were orange and black - like anyone would know?!?!? You CAN put regular liners in them right? Also, got a halloween witch apron for 50% off so that will be my costume. Last thing I got was a muffin size cookie scoop (much cheaper than WS) and since I spent over $50, I get a year's subscription to Bon Apetit...not a bad day of shopping, but I couldn't resist that Christmas cookie cutter set where it makes 3D sleigh, santa, snowman and reindeer - way too cute!

OK.... off to Ikea for some organizational items! LOL

Melissa

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #19 of 27

I bought the great pumpkin pan for my cousin last year off of WS website...on sale! I really regret not getting one for myself...

Kellojello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellojello Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 7:47pm
post #20 of 27

Well this is my first post, and I have to admit after browsing through ya'lls pictures I know I am waaay out of my league, but I need some help! I am baking a cake for the Children's Cancer Center. They are having a Fall festival this Sunday. One of the kids favorite games is the cake walk, and I really want to make a good one!

I bought the Williams-Sonoma great pumpkin pan today, and am going to bake my cake tomorrow - but I really need some tips on how to decorate it. Or any inside hints from those who have the pan to make sure my pumpkin comes out as realistic looking as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 27

LOL Oh girls, I know what you mean. This pan is darling. I just had to have it. My sister went to WS a few months ago when it first came out and I had her pick it up for me. Of course I've not used it yet. But I know I have it for that day when I know I will NEED it. icon_biggrin.gif

The reason I really wanted it was not to make a pumpkin looking cake. I wanted it to make the Cinderella Coach cake that Debbie Brown makes. It is so cute!

So while I won't be using it for awhile I think in Jan I will be making my nieces brithday cake out of it.

Joanne

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 27

I guess it must be an in-store purchase. I can't find it on the website. Now look what y'all have done......I have to go to the mall to WS so I can buy the @%^& pan!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:45pm
post #23 of 27

I just love this site...I was looking at the WS website, saw the pan, and LOVED it. Now, I have no fall/Halloween parties planned and no occasion to use it but I totally loved it. I don't have it yet...but I just really wanted it. It is nice to hear all of you thinking the same thing. icon_smile.gif

quills Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 27

Okay, somebody on this thread owes me $32 plus tax. I just caved and went to Williams-Sonoma and bought the damn great pumpkin pan. It's just too cute - I'm making a cake today just to use it! Maybe if I advertise pumpkin-shaped pound cakes for Thanksgiving, I can sell enough to recoup the cost of the pan. . .

KatieTaylor77 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #25 of 27

My honey just read this thread over my shoulder . . . laughing out loud . . . and he walks away shaking his head saying "I guess you can't put a price on happiness, huh?" He may not understand me completely, but at least he knows enough to get out of my way when it comes to the kitchen supplies! icon_razz.gif

quills Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #26 of 27

Well, I should be putting my kids to bed, but I just wanted to say THE PUMPKIN PAN ROCKS!!! I made the Elvis pound cake from Epicurious.com in it (used about 2/3 of the batter total) and it turned out beautifully! Absolutely no sticking, clearly pumpkinny looking, and too darn cute for words. (Really awesome recipe, too - thanks to whoever mentioned it somewhere on CC - I looked it up and it is terrific. Seven eggs, two sticks of butter & a cup of heavy cream will do that, I suppose. It explains Elvis' later years, doesn't it?) Okay, I've put the kids off long enough . . . Bed time . . .

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:08am
post #27 of 27

Hi Everyone,

I have the Great Pumpkin Pan as well and I really love it. I think it looks more shapely at a pumpkin than the bundt pans put together but that is just MHO. The only "problem" I have with the pan is finding a recipe I really like. As far as I can tell it has to be a dense cake to keep the shape etc. I have tried all the Williams Sonoma bundt mixes but the flavor doesn't thrill me (neither does the price). Has anyone used a regular box mix in this pan? I have decorated it with sprinkled conf. sugar and fondant leaves with piping for the vine. Wish I could find the picture I took icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%