I Can't Be That Much Of A Spaz......err, Wait A Minute

Decorating By olana11 Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 5:43pm by olana11

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 13

I just tried my first BC frozen Transfer and SO not happy with it. While I was outlining the icing kept "breaking" I kept thinning it with corn syrup-should I use more or milk????? Then when I had to spread the back with BC it kept lifting up my transfer-WHY??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Too thick again? Any help would be appr.

12 replies
toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 13

It sounds to me like you need to thin out your icing. Good luck.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 13

I fill in with just a round tip. 5 or 3 works good for me. Then I don't have to worry about the icing lifting. I agree your icing sounds a little stiff. If you already have the corn syrup in it maybe just add a little water. Hth

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 13

I have only done two FBCTs but I use the Wilton Tube icing for my outlining as it seems to stick to the wax or parchment paper and I don't have to thin it out, or haven't had to yet. Just put it in to a bag with a tip on it. My first FBCT worked out great (Darth Vader) and I'll find out this weekend how my other one comes out. I usually stick mine in the fridge or freezer after I have filled in all the lines so that it firms up a bit and hopefully alleviates any pulling up of the colored icing when I icing the back. My images for my cake this weekend are a lot smaller so I'm hoping they turn out okay.

olana11 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 13

I was thinking about putting it in the fridge before icing the back but didn't know if it would ruin it, so thanks that's what I'm doing with the second one.
Another question,.. the cake is for a tailgate party and I wanted to put the name of the team on there-with the exact same lettering in the logo. Can I do that with a FBCT or should I use royal icing to trace it out?

Diesel Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 13

You could do it either way and it would look good. The FBCT may come out a little cleaner looking, hopefully, than the royal icing. If you are not filling it in then I would just go with the royal icing. If you're wanting the lettering filled in then I would go with the FBCT.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13

Don't forget you are going to be getting a mirror image of your fbct. So, you will need to adjust your letters and logo accordingly.
Sharon

olana11 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 13

.ok did 2 more..... I've fixed the previously mentioned problems,.. thanks to Diesel's suggesstion I was able to ice the back w/o trouble. However,... NOW, I see that the fill in icing has is not smooth(you can see the lines)! icon_mad.gif I'm afraid to push on it too hard while smoothing it for fear the image will get distorted......any suggestions????????????

Diesel Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 13

Here's a suggestion I haven't tried yet but I think will work. After you put your "backing" icing on let it sit for a while to crust over and then use a viva paper towel or just a paper towel and smooth the back with that. It would be just like smoothing icing on a cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 13

here's what I do and mine usually come out pretty smooth with no troubles......first I use the recipe on this site for buttercream transfers.works really well and tastes great!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

then I do the outline and fill in........then ( i tape my photo with wax paper over top onto a clip board) I give my clipboard a couple good wacks on my kitchen table (this gets rid of any squiggles,etc. from where you fill in the color) then I pop it in the freezer for like 5 min. then I spread the icing on the back then pop the whole thing back in the freezer for like 20 min. or until completely hard. Hope that helps......I haven't lost a transfer yet to breakage or from not being smooth enough to my liking.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 13

If your icing is thin enough, it won't really get that "wormy" look on it much in the first place.

But one thing you should do before freezing is to "pat down" the back of the transfer lightly. Either use a finger tip to pat it, or what I do is use a thickly tufted new makeup brush.

I just work from the outside in, and pat it, both after the initial design, and then again after the backing is put on.

I use the crusting icing recipe, and it's pretty darn thin.

You can see my FBCT's in the gallery. One's a deer cake. That's a full top FBCT, and the other's a BAMA logo (that was my first)

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 13

I have read posts of people who say let it crust and then Viva it or use the foam roller. Haven't tried, but it does sound like it would work. Let us know if you try it and how it works out for you!

olana11 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you so much for all the suggestions-I think following all your advice will definately help them come out the right way thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%