Omg - Oven Temp!

Decorating By bluehen92 Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 4:21am by clsilvus

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 14

After reading here about how oven temperatures can vary, I finally bought an oven thermometer yesterday. Holy cow - when my oven was set for 350 the thermometer read 250! Oven set for 400, thermometer 300. Oven set for 450, thermometer 400. No wonder it took forever for my cupcakes to bake last week icon_mad.gif

-Lisa

13 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 14

Call an appliance repair person and have them recalibrate your oven. It does not take long, and should not be very expensive.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 14

tmriga
Thanks for the tip. I hadnt thought of having it recalibrated, is this for an electric oven? I was just going to go out and buy a new oven, not that DBF would have been happy about that!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 14

Both electric and gas ovens can be recalibrated, but each brand/model has it's own way of being done. It is usually in the knob control, but the assembly differs from oven to oven.

My oven ran 75 degrees hotter all the time when I first moved here. I had it checked and worked on, and the best we could do with it (since the darn thing is probably older than I), is to get it to a 50 degree difference. I decrease my dial temp and increase my baking time to compensate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 14

Even my brand new range was off by 25 degrees. The manual shows how to 'recalibrate' it so now when it says 350 it IS 350.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 14

I checked my oven temp. I found out that it was at the right temp. but when the timer went off indicating that it was pre-heated, the oven was 75 degrees cooler. I have to let the oven warm up for another 10 mintues before it gets to the right temp.

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 14

I wish I had the manual for my oven. It's so old the darn thing was probably written by Fred Flintstone!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #8 of 14

I think I have the same problem as jtb94. I let it warm up for a long time tonight before I made cupcakes and it did get closer to what it should be, but it wasn't quite there. I still had to bake them for longer than I am used to, but it wasn't super long like last time. I'll have to hunt for my manual too and look up the recalibration, but I so want to use this as an excuse to get a new oven icon_biggrin.gif

-Lisa

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:54am
post #9 of 14

I had never thought to test mine. I have never had any real issues but I guess not a bad idea?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 14

an oven thermometer is very important. anyone who uses the oven should get one.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, kjgjam22, I whole-heartedly agree. But please, everyone, remember to invest the money in a good oven thermometer, from a kitchen/household store, rather than depend on one from a discount or dollar store. The quality of those items, well, I just don't find them reliable.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #12 of 14

I think i read on here a while back that you should preheat your oven for 30 minutes to make sure it's at the correct temperature.

Oldlthrnecksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oldlthrnecksgirl Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:19am
post #13 of 14

My husband recalibrated ours,,, its an electric oven, took him all of two minutes. He is on the other side of the country working right now but I will ask him to email me directions on how to do it if thats any help,,, Lizzy

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:21am
post #14 of 14

Everything I make used to burn. I bought an oven thermometer and it's heating 50 degrees hotter. Glad it wasnt' just me =D
I've never heard of recalubrating an oven. I'll keep that in mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%