Danger, Will Robinson....warning, Warning

Business By karateka Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm by tthardy78

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 7

So I have a cake due this Saturday, and one the next Saturday. I'm excited, I really want to do them. But I am getting sick. I think it's only a cold, but it got me to thinking.....

What do you home bakers do if you have a wedding cake and you get sick? If it's just a cold, I guess you muddle through, but what if it's serious? Vomiting, diarrhea, fever....something you can't possibly make a cake while suffering from. Do you have a decorating buddy you call and pay to finish your order? Or do you just have to call the customer and say you can't do it, then refund their money?

Just curious....

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know, but your title is hilarious!! icon_lol.gif Hope you feel better!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 7

Take Airbourne !! every three hours. It always helps me.

This is one of the reasons why i do not want to do cake as a business.
Getting sick. There is always a time when you just can't help it.
I hope you feel better.. icon_smile.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:02am
post #4 of 7

This has just happened to me last week. I got an order on Monday for a cake on Saturday (last minute 3 tier wedding cake) and I took it of course because it was my first big cake order and then I got sick on Tuesday and felt horrible until about Friday but thankfully I finished... I'm kinda glad I couldn't smell the chocolate because I hate that smell! icon_smile.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #5 of 7

If I had a cold I would do it but would wash my hands very thoroughly and often...plus, you could always get a disposible mask so no sneeze "droplets" get on the cake...
If I have gastro problems, I wouldn't do it...but that is just me...
Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #6 of 7

whenever I'm sick and I have food to make for someone I wear a small mask over my mouth and wash my hand a ton, and wear gloves.

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

I'm lucky enough that when I get sick I call my sister in to help, she is very good at decorating just doesn't want to do it all the time like me. Luckily (knock on wood) I don't get sick to often. Hope you feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%