Bakery Type Buttercream

Baking By Staclynne Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 1:51am by Staclynne

Staclynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staclynne Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:47am
post #1 of 7

Help anyone icon_cry.gif I am in search of a recipe for a buttercream that is "bakery" buttercream. Very creamy, not to sweet. However it is still great to cover a cake with that smooth finish. I have looked and yet i cant seem to find the right one. So if anyone could please help me, i will gladly be your slave for a month. icon_razz.gif

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:17am
post #2 of 7
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

For that recipe
where would you get the Brite White or its equivalent and the Magic Line Creme Bouquet ??

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

IMO the key to making your icing "bakery" is the hi-ratio shortening. That is what gives the icing the taste you identify as "bakery" icing. Everything else can be standard or personalized however you want. Some use Crisco shortening and it is good also but then you have "almost tastes like bakery." I'm sure the Brite White recipe is probably pretty accurate but for the average person you may have to hunt a little for the icing base and Creme Bouquet.

The icing base IMO can be substituted with Marshmallow Fluff, that can be found in any grocery, to stabilize it just enough. And the creme bouquet can be substituted by any flavoring of your choice unless you are after the spicy citrus flavor. The popcorn salt is just fine table salt.

I am crazy addicted to bakery icing because it is so violently sweet so if you want creamy and no too sweet I would suggest using the hi-ratio shortening with the Dream Whip Icing Recipe (you can search it on this site). thumbs_up.gif

Just my 2 cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy

Staclynne Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

Where do you find hi ratio shortening?

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 7

When i 1st started doing cakes i was also in search of the "bakery" frosting and i found Whipped Cream Buttercream (recipe on this site). Its not whipped cream but its very soft and not too sweet and imo like the bakery icing. It can be left out at room temp with no problems and you can still smooth it with a paper towel. It takes a little getting used to since its so soft but you can decorate with it. Most of my cakes are done using this frosting and everyone likes it. I'm sure you can find alot of posts on it if you do a search. GL and hope you try it.

Staclynne Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #7 of 7

Debbie, Thank you so much. I just tried that one, pretty close to what i am looking for. However, I did add a few TBSP of marshmellow fluff to it to see if that made it even closer (Yep perfect). Now i am sick from eating so much of it. You all have been a great help.
Stacie icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%