I Swear I'm Going To Smack Dh Upside The Head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lounge By Luby Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 3:17am by lsawyer

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 16

I happen to mention in passing conversation that I saw the next stand mixer I'm considering buying - it's made by Cuisinart and it has a 7 Qt. bowl and a 1000 watt motor. I currently have a 16 year old KA with a 5 Qt. bowl and 325 watts. Now mind you mine is perfectly fine and I had no intention of buying another until my current one breaks (I'm basically a frugal person and don't spend money needlessly). He asks the price of the Cuisinart - $500.00 I say.

Well......that's where the conversation starts going downhill. He asks what's wrong with this one (my KA)? I said "nothing is wrong with it, but it won't last forever and I think the new one would enable me to make two batches of buttercream at a time with no problem. He says "We don't need to make any icing - we're fat enough"!!!!! I try to keep my composure and remind him of the fact that I don't make cakes for us and in fact the last cake I made last week was at HIS request so he could bring it to the hunting camp. Well, he wouldn't let it go - he starts asking why we need to spend that kind of money and why we need a "commercial" mixer. Well, at that point I had fire coming out of my "fat" a$$!!!!!

So, I ask him....Are you the person that spends $1,000.00 a year on hunting club dues and $400.00 each year for an out of state hunting license? Are you the person that drives 4 hours one way once a month (at $3.00 a gallon for gas) to go cut grass at the hunting club? Are you the person that likes to cook for the other members and pays for all of the food? Are you the person that needed a new 4-wheeler year before last at the cost of $8,000.00?????????????????????

And now are you the same person that is questioning why I would spend $500.00 on a new mixer when my old one dies???????????

At this point he starts trying to do damage control, but he's drug his ducks to a dry pond this time. I may go ahead and order that baby and sit it right next to my old one so I'll have one to use when I need one batch of buttercream and one to use when I need to two batches of buttercream.
He must have had a momentary lapse of sanity!!!!

I think he's learned the error of his ways icon_evil.gif

15 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 16

Men can be so dense about that stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif

We're getting ready to visit my parents and I was deciding what shoes to pack, we take a camper so space isn't exactly an issue, and he starts going on about how I only need one pair since we're just down for the weekend. I pointed out to him that he's the one who brings 4 or more guns everytime we go down and he can only shoot one at a time. icon_twisted.gif
He also gets all huffy when I get a few cookie cutters or a new pan yet he goes and buys at least two guns a year, I keep telling him that one of these days I'm going to demand matching money to spend on what I want. I'm waiting though until he gets the gun he REALLY wants because it's pretty expensive. icon_evil.gif

Now when I needed a new mixer he didn't say anything, he's a mechanic and understands the principle that you have to pay for quality. If you buy a mixer that costs $100 and have to replace it every year you're out more money in the long run than if you buy one that costs $500 and lasts 16.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 16

Men!
My husband does the same thing to me. When its not for him its too much money. You buy something that doesn't even cost that much and he complains, Yet you buy something that cost more for him and he is perfectly happy with it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 16

OHHH Ladies can I join in? My DH spends a mere 3000.00 a year on his hunting crap!!!!!!! And ALWAYS looks at new 4 wheelers!!!! I did put my foot down there...Why in God's green earth do you need 2 freakin 4 wheelers??? Is your other thinking part of your body gonna drive it GEEEESHH!!! He quit grumping about my spending when I saved all the receipts of everything we spent on his "HOBBY" and threw them on the table!!! Boy he shut his mouth fast! At least my "hobby" brings in some green every once in a while...... I definately feel for you !!!
Buy that darn mixer and tell him that you are matching his spending to the dime...then look at something else you truly want icon_wink.gif

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 16

Hubby and I had this kind of argument about a year into our marriage, he was always buying cool stuff online and I asked him to buy a book for me that I couldn't find in the stores. His face was all serious and he said we needed to start saving money and shouldn't spend, blah blah. Well, I reminded him of his toys that he had bought and he felt pretty bad after that. Haven't heard anything since and we're going on 9 years icon_biggrin.gif

Star_dust_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Star_dust_girl Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 16

Yeah, that all stopped in our household when we sat down and came up with a budget. I also made DH put money into two savings accounts. One for general savings and one just for fun items we would like to eventually buy. Now, he actually sits down with me once a week and we discuss how to use those fun funds. Now that he sees how long it takes to save mad money he is not too quick to spend it. Gee, a little math sure does go a long way-lol!!!! See men can be logical if they are made to icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:00am
post #7 of 16

I'm just trying to hold my husband at bay from buying the car he really wants. Now that his car is paid off and he got a raise, he's been looking at cars. It's fine that he got a raise. I love it. Maybe now we can save a little more money for a bigger down payment on that house that we'll finally be able to afford in a couple months. I'm afraid he's gong to want to go out and buy a car before we get a house and there goes the house icon_cry.gif

Seriously, the last time we bought a car (before the one he has now), he got a PT Cruiser and the payments were horrendous! Granted, it could be a LOT worse but we were already struggling financially. That one ended up going on our bankruptcy two years ago.

Anyway, yesterday I was online (CC) and he comes in and wants to show me something. He clicks on a used car page and pulls up a used mustang...maybe 2005? Oh look honey, it's only $17,000 I was like icon_eek.gif That's more than I want to pay on a used car. He says, "do you know how much a new one costs?" I say, "do I care? I only care how much it costs. period. Not how much it could cost. It costs too much. How about a Hyunday Elantra? It goes new for about $13,000" him: "grumble grumble"

He's always talking about how he wants a car with better gas mileage because he drives 1/2 hr to work each day and with the high cost of gas, it's expensive. Well, a mustang certainly isn't going to help that any. Gah!

I can understand him not wanting an Elantra but does he have to go to the extreme of getting a toy rather than a car??

Star_dust_girl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:07am
post #8 of 16

LaSombra -Oh Geez, I totally feel your pain on that one. I am getting ready for my DH to go out and buy himself a huge truck. We just paid off both of our vehicles. He has been wanting a big extended cab truck forever but now it just not a good time. I want to take the money that we are saving on not having car payments (just under a thousand a month) and sock it away in savings for as long as possible. The goal was to save to buy a piece of property and custome build a new house (which will take years to save for) but every time we drive past a car dealership now, his eyes glaze over, he starts to drool, and he has to pull in. What am I going to do with him?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star_dust_girl

LaSombra -Oh Geez, I totally feel your pain on that one. I am getting ready for my DH to go out and buy himself a huge truck. We just paid off both of our vehicles. He has been wanting a big extended cab truck forever but now it just not a good time. I want to take the money that we are saving on not having car payments (just under a thousand a month) and sock it away in savings for as long as possible. The goal was to save to buy a piece of property and custome build a new house (which will take years to save for) but every time we drive past a car dealership now, his eyes glaze over, he starts to drool, and he has to pull in. What am I going to do with him?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

Exactly!! I know the glazed-over eye look and it's quite frightening to me! Oh, he's got several toys that would be good for him. He'd go for an SUV if I let him too but that's certainly not going to get him better gas mileage either...and here I am driving a minivan that's the same age as his car but doesn't have air conditioning. It gets used more than his car for the whole family. His car is ONLY used for going to and from work. period. The van, on the other hand, is used for taking our stuff to the market twice a week, for me to take the kids here and there and also for when we all (husband and me + 3 kids) go anywhere...and he always complains about my air conditioner not working. hmm...can we say new car for mommy instead of daddy??? I would really like to have an air conditioner in the van to take wedding cakes to customers but so far, I've been able to borrow my parents' car and a 4 tier cake in boxes will barely fit in their trunk. If I get any bigger cake orders, I'll be glad if it's cold out because I'll be forced to take the van.

I want one of those new caravans with the seats that fold down into the floor...but I'm not pushing for it. I just want something with air!

Star_dust_girl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:31am
post #10 of 16

LaSombra,
Ok, you said that you need air conditioning to get cakes to customers. Then you need it for your business!!
If you are an acutal company ( you know, not just doing it for fun, to be nice, or under the counter -not that you would ever do that!!!) you can write off part of the van for the company. I would call an accountant but I think mine said that on my Federal taxes I can write off mileage and a certain amount of business losses per year. The van can be that loss (investment -same thing). Please don't quote me here because I just drop off my stuff to the accountant and let him do his magic. But, seriously look into it.

As for your husband's glazed over eyes every time he sees a truck with an extended cab, a corvet, motorcycle, or anything else that goes fast....I don't have an answer for you. I have tried the argument about fuel economy and helping the Earth stay green for our children's future (not to mention saving the money spent on gas to put the kids through college) but it is not working. I fear I am lossing the battle!!!! Stay strong sister icon_surprised.gif

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #11 of 16
Quote:

LaSombra,
Ok, you said that you need air conditioning to get cakes to customers. Then you need it for your business!!
If you are an acutal company ( you know, not just doing it for fun, to be nice, or under the counter -not that you would ever do that!!!) you can write off part of the van for the company. I would call an accountant but I think mine said that on my Federal taxes I can write off mileage and a certain amount of business losses per year. The van can be that loss (investment -same thing). Please don't quote me here because I just drop off my stuff to the accountant and let him do his magic. But, seriously look into it.

As for your husband's glazed over eyes every time he sees a truck with an extended cab, a corvet, motorcycle, or anything else that goes fast....I don't have an answer for you. I have tried the argument about fuel economy and helping the Earth stay green for our children's future (not to mention saving the money spent on gas to put the kids through college) but it is not working. I fear I am lossing the battle!!!! Stay strong sister icon_surprised.gif

Yes, we do write off the mileage from taxes at the end of the year. My mom knows more about all the tax stuff than I do so I let her do the business taxes (she's my business partner) but yeah, I'm with you on that. Tax write-offs are good thumbs_up.gif

You know, I really ought to push to be the one getting a new car. The van will be paid off next February also and would probably be a decent trade-in. He just...well, I think that he believes he should be the one getting a new car because he's the bread-winner (at least now since my business is brand new) and he just got a promotion so he thinks he should be rewarded for it by way of a new car. I don't know. Men can be such boys!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #12 of 16

Ladies, I have the solution, and it totally works. Every time dh pisses you off, buy yourself some shoes. Try it, it works.

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Ladies, I have the solution, and it totally works. Every time dh pisses you off, buy yourself some shoes. Try it, it works.

LOL icon_lol.gif

Well...in my house, it's my husband that has too many shoes!! I swear he's the big spender and I'm the thrifty one. He has as many pairs of tennis shoes as an average woman has heels!

Star_dust_girl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #14 of 16

That is funny!!!
About getting the new car, it actually makes more sense for you to have it since you have the kids to consider, almost have the van paid off, and need it for the business.

About your DH feeling he deserves a reward for all of his accomplishments, well could you negotiate a less expensive reward for him. Like a weekend trip somewhere , new golf clubs (or whatever he is into), or a new power tool ? Maybe if he gets a little something he will let you get the new van?!

Good luck with the van and your new business!!!

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:11am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

That is funny!!!
About getting the new car, it actually makes more sense for you to have it since you have the kids to consider, almost have the van paid off, and need it for the business.

About your DH feeling he deserves a reward for all of his accomplishments, well could you negotiate a less expensive reward for him. Like a weekend trip somewhere , new golf clubs (or whatever he is into), or a new power tool ? Maybe if he gets a little something he will let you get the new van?!

Good luck with the van and your new business!!!

well, I don't think he'll negotiate not getting a new car. Even if he's rewarded with something else, it'll still come back to that he wants a new car. I think the compromise will have to be that he gets a less-expensive new car. I think I'll be able to convince him of that. I really don't know what he has against the car he has now. It's not a bad car except that it uses quite a bit of gas...but if he's looking for less gas mileage, he'd better get a car with less gas mileage to replace it, not a mustang! I think that perhaps the business will possibly be the one to buy a new van and maybe I'd pay part of the payment myself. The business's expenses are completely separate from our personal expenses and we're doing fairly well at this point.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:17am
post #16 of 16

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. Just buy it. His only objection is that it may cut into his fun expenses. Oh, well!
Reach a deal with him: whatever he spends for fun, so can YOU!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%