Weigh Vs. Measuring-Whats You Favorite Scale

Decorating By Yorkiemum Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm by Kayakado

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:56am
post #1 of 16

Do you measure or weigh your ingredients? If you weigh, do you use a digital scale? I don't have digital and find it's hard to be exact.

15 replies
kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #2 of 16

You'll never be.. "perfect" with weighing, but it is a hell of a lot closer than going by volume. Especially on dry ingredients. Weight also produces more consistent results.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #3 of 16

scale

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:11am
post #4 of 16

I Measure. Only because that is one less piece of equipment I have to find room for. My recipe calls for 8cp. so I use 8 cps. I figure I can always add more if I need to.

But I was helping at a bakery where everything was weighed and I thought the frosting sometimes came out a little drier than I cared for.

Just My 2 cents.

cCc

Yorkiemum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #5 of 16

kpcrash and donnajf, what kind of scales do you have?

kpcrash Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #6 of 16

I have a digital scale I picked up on sale at Staples. Handles up to 5 pounds, was cheaper than what the kitchen stores were selling the same thing for.

Yorkiemum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:52am
post #7 of 16

kpcrash, I wouldn't have thought of going to Staples. It's right down the street. I normally go to bed bath and beyond with my 20% off coupon. Got a great deal on my pro ka there. Thanks for the info.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:55am
post #8 of 16

weight weight weight! I HATE cups and measures! If I need to half something, or triple it or whatever, it's a HECK of a lot easier to multiply without fractions!

I'm alllllll about the scale! Uh...unless I have to get on one myself!

icon_smile.gif
Michelle

Yorkiemum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:59am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysmommy

weight weight weight! I HATE cups and measures! If I need to half something, or triple it or whatever, it's a HECK of a lot easier to multiply without fractions!

I'm alllllll about the scale! Uh...unless I have to get on one myself!

icon_smile.gif
Michelle

Do you use a digital scale? And at the rate, I keep tasting these cakes, I won't want to get on one myself either. Gonna start oinking soon I fear.

Yorkiemum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #10 of 16

kpcrash and donnajf, what kind of scales do you have?

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 16

I try to weigh whenever possible. This is the scale I have:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=4204
It even came with a little conversion chart with volume to weight equivalents for many different foods.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 16

I have started using a scale and love how easy it is! I have this one
http://www.scalesonline.com/Detail.aspx?ID=331
in orange. I love that I can measure in grams, pounds or ounces and the tare feature is great.
Tracy

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #14 of 16

I do use a digital scale! I used to own a kitchen store and I can say that for our purposes it really doesn't matter what you get, as long as it's pretty accurate. I've seen expensive scales way off, and cheap scales that are terrific. If you want to test yours, or suspect it's not correct, take a stick of butter and weigh it. The diary industry is so well monitored, you can pretty much be assured a stick weighs what it's supposed to (4 oz).

If you really want a brand name, Salter scales are terrific. We used to sell them to people from the children's hospital who had kids on these very very specific diets that needed to have everything measured by wieght. The hospital recommended them.

Happy baking!
Michelle

Yorkiemum Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:10pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks for your help everyone. Have a happy baking day!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 16

I bought a cheap digital scale somewhere and it works great. What I don't like is that it turns off too quickly when it is idle. If I am short on an ingredient, I don't have time to go get the extra stock out of the cupboard before it shuts down and zeros out my weight. BTW it weighs in grams and ounces. I use mostly gram measurements and have to reset it to grams every time I turn it on. When I replace it, I am going to look for one that shuts off after 5 minutes or more and holds it setting to grams.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%