Help ! Need A New Oven

Decorating By moey Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 3:53am by lorrieg

moey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moey Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 17

Tell me what you think I'm going to get a 36''. Should I get a wall or floor. What brands is everyone recommending. Tell me everything good and bad. There so expensive. Thanks

16 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 17

I'd love to have a new oven. right now I have gas, but I think I'd switch to electric for baking. I don't have enough cabinet space as it is, so I coudln't sacrifice a cabinet for my wall oven. icon_sad.gif

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 17

So funny you should ask that question today. Last night the heating element in my 5 year old 30" GE Profile Electric Slide-In range started on fire. It is now melted or rather welded itself to the oven. All GE could say was "I'm sorry you had this inconvience" over and over-and at the cost of $79.99 they could send a tech and only he would know if my oven was under warranty. I'm so scared of it now I don't want it fixed, I want a new one, so I'm looking for one as well.

We completely remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago and so far the new appliances have not fared well.
Kenmore Side By Side fridge=compressor broke @ 2 years old-not under warranty cost couple hundred to get repaired.
Kenmore Dishwasher is a work horse but the rinse aid dispensor never worked. Small thing-but for $900 I expect it all to be in working order. Sears fought with me forever and it never did get fixed.
GE Profile Wall Mount Microwave Somthing broke @ 3 years not under warranty & cost $300 to get repaired, originally cost $500. Would have bought a new one, but our cabinets were custom built for the dimensions of microwave and it was easier to have it repaired.
GE Profile Slide In Range I love the looks of it, but @ 5 years started on fire

The only thing that has not quit working in the kitchen since the remodel is me. Am I expecting too much for an appliance to work for more than 2 years or to work straight out of the box? Has anyone had good luck or bought durable appliances? I've heard both good & bad reviews on Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool....do any of them last?

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 17

I highly recommend Jenn-Air. We remodeled our kitchen 7 years ago and got the Jenn-Air drop in stove top and the wall mounted oven and microwave. My DH does not like to eat out so I cook every day. They have held up wonderfully and still work like new. If they break, I would replace with the same thing.

(crossing fingers and knocking on wood now since things seem to break the minute I say how good they are LOL)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 17

We recently had to have our 5 year old Amana side by side refrigerator replaced and the repair man told us the best appliance to buy is Whirlpool so that is what we got. We are in the process of building a house with a double wall overn and they will also be Whirlpool. I figure the repair man knows what he gets calls on the least. I've never been a fan of GE appliances but that's just my opinion.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 17

anythingsugar, is your Jenn-Air made by the same people who are making them now? I believe Maytag are making them now. I was warned by two different salesmen at two different places not to buy one. icon_surprised.gif

I just bought a GE Profile gas top/electric oven with a full baking drawer. It has a HUGE inside and is convection. I am waiting patiently to have it delivered. icon_smile.gif

AnythingSugar Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 17

Lorrieg, to be honest, I don't know. Every tag and product id just states Jenn-Air and nothing else. I do know that my dishwasher was a Kenmore and is made by Whirlpool. I saw that tag when it broke twice in two years and we threw it out and replaced it LOL. That is the only appliance in our kitchen since the remodel that has given a drop of trouble.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 17

Jenn-Air & Maytag appliances are absolutely the best! Although, I had my Sears Kenmore washer and dryer for 17 years before it finally died. And that was with two teen-aged girls washing everything that hit the floor, or whatever. You know how they have their favorite outfit and OMG - it's the weekend and they found it on the floor among everything else they refused to pick up through the week. We must wash it before we go anywhere griping all the way that mom washed everything else. Why didn't she wash my clothes? Now I have to do it and it's gonna make me late.......

You've heard it all too, right?!?! Anyway, it's kind of a crapshoot. With all appliances, some people are the lucky ones to never have any trouble with anything, but those who do, .....Well let's just say that they can be life changing experiences.

Good luck & get what works for you and your family's needs.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMike

Anyway, it's kind of a crapshoot. With all appliances, some people are the lucky ones to never have any trouble with anything, but those who do, .....Well let's just say that they can be life changing experiences.

I agree! I'm on my fourth washing machine in 11 years! All of my other appliances are in various stages of rusting, but i expect that. They all have little problems that are an annoyance (crisper drawer glides broken, handle fell off microwave door, two burners have to be lit w/ a match & selfcleaning oven won't self-clean), but the appliances are still functional. Now, when the tv went - we got a new one within hours - when my appliances break, DH fixes those! icon_eek.gif

Funny story - two years ago, my aunt & uncle were complaining about having to buy a new refrigerator. How "they don't make things like they used to". Come to find out, the refrigerator they were replacing was the GE they bought when they built the house. In 1963.

lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 17

beachcakes, did you know you can buy new "old" appliances now? and they are energy star. Very retro looking. icon_smile.gif Maybe they can buy the same one they had before.

anythingsugar, I just did a search and now Jenn-Air are made by Maytag. There only seems to be about 3 mfgs that make them all. My current stove is a Whirlpool Gold something or other convection with the glass top and I really despise it. Only because I have trouble regulating the burners and end up boiling things over or taking forever to cook. I'm putting it up for sale.

My fridge is an Amana and I've ordered the LG 30" (small space to put it in) with the french doors. No-one in our family likes the fridge and it's because of it's design, not for repairs or anything.

As soon as my order went in for the fridge and stove my drum on my Frididaire front loader went. Almost 10 years to the day. And it's going to cost over half the price of a new one to fix. It's sitting on my back deck right now and I give it the old stink eye alot to make it feel bad. icon_wink.gif It's replacement will be the exact same machine with a Kenmore label on it.

Right now I hate appliances and am thinking of making cakes on my bbq. I bet it would work too.

AnythingSugar Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:09am
post #11 of 17

Thanks for that info! I had no idea. I am partial to a Maytag washer. The only problem with Maytag is that you have to watch names. Maytag purchased Amana back some years ago and some appliances are Amana but have the name Maytag with another word added. For example Maytag performa (just an example) is probably an Amana.

My grandma told me many many years ago to always buy a Maytag washing machine and a GE refrigerator and they would last. For some crazy reason I have always done that LOL.

lorrieg Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:58am
post #12 of 17

moey, if you haven't decided yet and have lots to spend- have you looked at Wolfe, Bosch or Thermadore? I'd have a Thermadore in my *dream* kitchen.

AnythingSugar Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:04am
post #13 of 17

Lorrieg you crack me up with your dream kitchen LOL I thought I was the only person who did that. My dream kitchen has all commercial appliances with two dishwashers, two 6 burner stoves and 4 ovens. I also want a built in rotisserie and a fireplace with a working grill that I can use inside LOL.....My dream kitchen is larger than my entire house now ....sure am glad dreaming is free icon_smile.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:24am
post #14 of 17

I would get a wall double oven. Great at Thanksgiving and for large cake orders! Mine is narrow (a 16" round pan rides the rails) but I wouldn't trade it for a floor range.

lorrieg Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 17

anythingsugar I don't even have ONE dishwasher. Well, does my dh count??? He was raised that men got up from dinner and got right into the suds. icon_lol.gif Dont' know if I could handle TWO of him. icon_twisted.gif

I live in a 100+ house and the kitchen was an afterthought. It's a gorgeous house and we love it but I could see converting the whole thing into a kitchen. That's a great idea. Or I could buy the little bungalow next door (the owners in the 50's got tired of paying the bills here and built it for themselves and sold the big house) and make it my kitchen. Hmmm...........

I had a wall oven once. It was in the late 70's. It was stainless and so was the cook top. Funny- stainless is back in style now.

So thanks for making me feel old, poor, inadequate in the kitchen dept. I'll just go sit on my back deck, bbq my breakfast, glare at my washing machine and have a couple of hot flashes. icon_rolleyes.gif

moey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moey Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #16 of 17

Wow, havent checked this in a couple days . Thanks for the replies. What kitchen nightmares. The appliance store I went to really tried to push the dacor on me (never heard of it) everytime I inquired about this one or that one he kept going back to the dacor. I can't stand the salespeople anymore I just don't trust them. Dacor must be offering incentives for the salespeople or something. Everything they're trying to sell me will require some type of remodeling in the kitchen. I'm selling my business which will give me some money to buy the appliances but not a remodel. I'm so sick of getting ripped off by salespeople. When I started my business I bought both used and new equipment , the new stuff has had to be serviced or handles, doors etc. fixed. The old stuff runs beautifully. What's up with that I'm pissed! And leary.

lorrieg Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:53am
post #17 of 17

moey you are right to be careful. Good luck with your search! birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%