Help A Newbie?

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 12:15pm by bethola

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 18

Hi, I'm new here. I have been looking at all the beautiful cakes in the galleries for a couple months but have never posted.

OK...I made DD's 2nd bday cakes and I loved it...and want to do more! But I don't know where to start. I'm thinking of asking for some supplies for Christmas, but I don't know what. I know the first thing is getting the tips...but what else? What else would a beginner want?

I'm going to just start making practice cakes for the fun of it, and DH has kindly said he'll take my experiments into work so I don't gain a hundred pounds! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 18

I just started a few months ago as well and have pretty much all the basics. I am not taking any Wilton classes, as I have a 4 month old breastfeeding... I would say to go to your local supply store (AC Moore, Michaels...) and get the Wilton class 1 kit, it has all the instructions in it to self teach. Start out with their premade icing and practice practice practice!!! I think the kits are good b/c it gives you just enough to get started, without too much to overwhelm you. It would be great to take a class or two though if you had the time/money. I'm on CC everyday, atleast twice a day looking for examples and tutorials and pictures so I can try them out when I have the time. Now I'm finding opportunities all the time to make cakes, especially with the kids at my church, so many birthdays!!! I hope that you get off to a great start and find success in decorating!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 18

Welcome!!

I'm pretty new to cake decorating and to the forums as well. You'l find so much info here, it'll make your head spin!!

Do you have any Wilton classes in your area? That's what I'm doing right now. It's been a great building block for me. When you take each course, there are kits you buy with exactly what you need (I think they range in price from $19.99-$24.99) for the course.

Past that, I think the Wilton kits are great deals. The 101-piece kit has everything you need for class one and the expense for the next two classes is a lot less. I'm sure you'll get lots of iput from the folks here. They're super helpful!!!

Have fun!!

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 18

Hi MrsMom,
Im a newbie too, welcome! I gotta say there are only a few tips I actually use, so you may want to see what you need before spending money on odd tips.
A very good heavy duty turn table is a great investment, kindof unnerving to try and decorate a cake without one.
icon_smile.gif

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 18

I just started about a year ago by taking the first Wilton class. Once you buy all the supplies for that class, you have plenty to get started. If you aren't taking the class, though, here are some of the first things that I bought: Tips, definitely. And bags...a turntable...different pans if you need them...gel colors (Americolor beats Wilton hands down!)...cake boards...and a really good Christmas present is a KitchenAid mixer, if you don't have one already!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 18

Welcome, Welcome

I would get some Americolor. they are awesome, I have not had any bleeding of colors like wilton and you do not need a lot to get the color you want.

Cake pans are great, I believe they are on sale here. I perfer 2 inch round maybe start off with 8 and 9 inch pans to practice with.

Their are lots of books but the new for Toba Garret, is great and will be very helpful to you on sale here. It is sold out here but you can try cooking.com they sell it for about $34.00

http://shop.cakecentral.com/professional-cake-decorating-p-1029.html

Mainly do some practice, practice until you get down borders. some flowers.

Try the MMF, great fondant you can make at home.

Untile articles here their are lots of stuff to help - how to make a Frozen Buttercream Transfer (FBT), MMF, swags, purse cake, etc.

A good kitchen aid mixer is very handy for frosting, etc.

Hope this helps. Then you can slowly start add more

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 18

HI, I am fairly new at the cake thing too. Just started about 8 months ago. I have a BF dd also that is almost a year now. What I got was the starter Wilton kit (that looks like a tool box) and that has alot of stuff in it. You need a really good stand mixer like a Kitchen Aid. A few good decorating books, and if you can take the classes at Michael's, do it. I did and it really helps. And like I said, I am breastfeeding too. It is only 2 hours every week once a week. And it is cheap. As far as the practice cakes, they do not stay in my house. My neighbors love me because they know that I will bring them a cake about once a month! Now I am decorating cakes for childrens parties, showers, etc. I just went to the local Mommies group and put my name out that I am a hobbiest and want to get experience and have been doing one to 2 cakes a week for people. I charge for them too but it is not a business. I am mostly covering my cost because I would be making the cakes regardless for practice.
Hope that helps a little and wlecome to the group.
Aslo, Michael's is always having coupons in the paper for 40 -50 % off one regular price item so that is when I buy my supplies, kits, etc. Makes it alot cheaper!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 18

I totally agree with the course 1 kit. Get a coupon, or if you have a Hobby Lobby close by, they have all their Wilton stuff 50% off this week. Go online and print a coupon. If you absolutely fall in love with it like I did, get the 101 piece kit from Wilton. I bought mine w/a 50% coupon and there aren't many things in there that I haven't used! It saves a TON of money! I've added what I needed from there. I did buy the course 2&3 kits (with coupons of course!) They had some of the tips in the kits that I already had, but also some stuff I didn't have...pan, pillars, cutters, etc. I have 3 of each tip and 2 icer tips with 16" bags. I use disposable bags when I decorate. Get everything with a coupon! Even if you have to buy 1 at a time. Over-all, it'll save you a TON of money. This isn't exactly the cheapest hobby, but it's become my passion!

MOST OF ALL......HAVE FUN!!!!

MrsMom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 18

Wow, now that's some fast responses!

I also have a BF 6m old, so I don't know how possible it would be to take classes right now. I'll definitely look into it, though. We do have a Michaels about 45 min away. We also have an AC Moore about 45 min in the opposite direction.

I am also on here every day...I keep current on mostly the kids b-day cakes, but plan on looking through all the cookies too (in addition to a few others).

OK...so far we have:

Lazy susan
Tips (I saw a Wilton set for $16 at Walmart...would that be good, or would it be better to buy them individually?)
Bags (my gram used to decorate and she used to use large ziploc bags...that woul work, no? Definitely less cleanup!)
Colors (is the Americolor just sold here?)
Stand mixer (how big?)
Pans (just basic ones for practice?)

Anything else? I'm trying to keep this as simple as I can to get started. I'm a SAHM, and I don't think DH would appreciate if I sunk hundreds of $ into this right now.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 18

Wal-mart has a pretty good cake supply if that's all you have available.
I highly recommend the Wilton Courses, especially if you want to make breautiful roses...I've seen other techniques but they don't come close.
I always use parchment bags because they are sturdy int he hand (not mushy like plastic) and I can just toss them away afterward.
Start out with your basic 8" and 10" pans (2 of each or your baking will take too long).
I love my couplers and I always use one with my bags cuz inevitably you will need a tiny detail requiring one color where you didn't couple the bag and have to waste another one (not to mention time preparing it).
Kitchen aid mixers are wonderful but they're expensive so make sure that you're really going to use it a lot to get your monies worth. A cheap hand held mixer will blow out on you when mixing icing though.
A tip set is good too because they usually have the most used sizes, but as you decorate more you will want at least three or more of each most used size.
I have the Wilton flat turntable as well as their basic pedestal stand and they have worked fine for me for 7 years; a heavy duty one could be expensive.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of cake decorating and remember don't lick your fingers!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMom Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:01am
post #11 of 18

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. Would this mixer be alright? It has 350 watts, which is more than the KA mixers I was looking at.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4016491

Or would this Hamilton Beach one be better? This one is 400 watts (but $70 more...would 50 watts make that much difference?).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000308BWQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

Thanks!

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:13am
post #12 of 18

I'm quite partial to my KA, but my mom has a Sunbeam that's older than I am and is still going strong...granted, she's never mixed anything like MMF in it, but I don't think it's a heavy duty version. I'd be willing to try it.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:34am
post #13 of 18

Newbie to Newbie:
Experiment!! The advice and help that you will receive on this site is second to none! The members are very helpful to us Newbie's about what tips, etc. that were used on their cakes. I took the 3 Wilton courses this past April, May and June (and August - 3rd one over) and they were very, very helpful but the pointers received here help answer questions that I've had since the classes ended.
I enjoy looking at the cakes and getting ideas!! Books are great also, but here you can actually get answers if you have questions!!
I have the greatest fun doing cakes (mostly for free) and spending hours looking at this site!!
I agree with the statement : Just Have Fun!!

dawnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnell Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #14 of 18

If you have a Hobby Lobby close to you they can a coupon on the interent for 50% off all Wilton items. Now would be a great time to stock up on what you might need in the future.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #15 of 18

Hello Fellow Newbie! I'm fairly new as well (I only have one cake in my gallery, mostly because I haven't had time to upload). RE: The mixer. I really like my K.A. because of the flat beater. I use the flat for mixing the cake AND my BC icing. I find the whip attachment tends to make my icing too fluffy and it is difficult to smooth. I like using the whip attachment for my Italian Meringue Buttercream. But, you know what? Find what YOU like and use it! I think either of the mixers you are looking at would be great! Good Luck! Have Fun! I have now TOTALLY run out of room for all my "stuff". It currently fills a closet, an armoire, my pantry, innumerable rubbermaid shoe boxes and 30 gal. containers! BE CAREFUL!!! It can become......ADDICTIVE! LOL

hsdwidow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsdwidow Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:55am
post #16 of 18

Hi. I started decorating a year ago. Dabbled before that. I would say that what I learned from my instructors during the Wilton classes was extremely helpful, sometimes more than the books that you get when you get into the classroom. I've had a different instructor (due to my time constraints and their schedules) for each level. My course 2 instructor in Enfield, Ct at Micheal's was oustanding and the ride wasn't short but well worth it. It wasn't a job for her, it was a passion. My advice is that websites are good, even great, but the classes are well worth it. A word of warning; in the first course you need to bring a frosted cake to class each week. That might not be so easy to do with a little one around, but you're worth the time you invest in you!

MrsMom Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:04pm
post #17 of 18

hsdwidow...yeah, that might not be so easy! I have 2 little ones...a 6m old boy and a little girl that will be 3 in February. I'm trying to get practiced up so I can make them some awesome bday cakes!! icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:15pm
post #18 of 18

hsdwidow and MrsMom: I remember those days! I used to decorate cakes 28 yrs ago (had a 3 yr old at the time), but, had to give it up when I became pregnant with twins and the BC icing made me SICK when I smelled it! LOL Now, 28 years later, I've come full circle! Didn't tell you that to bring you down! Just to let you know that I understand what it is to try and make time for everything! Back then, where I live, there weren't any decorating classes and I was self taught as were most of the professional decorators in my area. I have a friend (who took classes with me a few years ago) and she gets her little ones involved in the decorating. Of course, she doesn't sell her cakes professionally. But, I have seen their self esteem flourish by just decorating cakes. In fact, I'm thinking about starting a "cottage business" for little ones involving decorating cupcakes and cookies. Oh MY! I'm reminesing (sp?) am I turning into MY MOTHER? Have fun decorating and let your toddlers help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%