Chocolate Cake Crumbs In White Icing!!!!

Decorating By charman Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 9:16pm by mendhigurl

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 18

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I get so blasted frustrated with getting chocolate crumbs in my white icing! So many of my customers have kids and the kids want chocolate cake...I gringe when they say chocolate cake. I've tried crumb coating, maybe I do not do it right or something, but does anyone have any advise at all on how to get rid of chocolate crumbs in white icing?!?

I did a cake this past weekend...Cleopatra...the icing was a tannish color (for lack of better way of describing it), and the crumbs were horrible in it! Got so mad at one point, I just had to walk away. The child loved it and could have cared less, but I hated it...potential customers were looking at it. I was hoping the FBCT distracted enough away from it.

Advise, help, anything, please! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

17 replies
charman Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 18

bump...posted this @ 9:15 am, but don't know that its even come up for anyone to see...not sure why.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 18

Definitely do a crumb coat. I think it is better to put it in the fridge for awhile and let it crust and get nice and cold. Be sure to put on a thick coat of icing. You can use the icer tip to get a thick and uniform layer of it. Be sure your spatula (or whatever you use) does not touch the cake. If you do get crumbs on your spatula, do not put it back into your icing bowl, wipe if off and keep going. Is it possible that maybe your icing is too thick and pulling the crumbs off the cake as you smooth?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 18

I agree with Merissa. If you don't use the icing tip, you'll love it. It saves a lot of time. The key is to keep wiping off your spatula and refrigerating it after you crumb coat. Hang in there, you'll get it.
Jacqui

clever_cakes311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clever_cakes311 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 18

I do multiple layers of icing. First I crumb coat and let it sit in the fridge. Then I do another coat, refridgerate again, then use the icer tip for the final coat. Like the other ladies said, be sure to wipe off your spatula as you work on it.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 18

Make sure that your crumb coat is about the consistency of mayo - pretty thin! And your spatula CANNOT touch the cake EVER, only the icing. So be sure to pull your spatula back into your icing before removing it to get more icing instead of brushing it up against the un-iced cake. This way, you shouldn't have ANY crumbs in your icing and then after it sets up put on a medium consistency coat of buttercream to finish the cake.

charman Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 18

thanks, I pretty much do all of this now...I guess I will need to just practice a better job of my crumb coating. Have one tonight...we'll see what happens. icon_rolleyes.gif
C

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 18

I agree with what everyone else said but I also want to say the crumb coat will get soft and ruin your final coat of icing if it is out of the fridge too long. You have to put that final coat on pretty fast to keep this from happening! It took me awhile to realize this!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 18

Be sure to use an all-crisco recipe for the crumb coat. It crusts the best.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 18

I use an all crisco recipe, and I curmb coat every cake I make (no matter what flavor) I never put it in the refrigerator - it will "crust" just fine setting on the counter.

Make sure it has crusted before putting the final coat on. As stated above, make sure your icing is NOT too thick, or it will pull the crumb coat right back off of the cake. The crumb coat has to be VERY THIN - you should be able to see your cake through it. If you put that crumb coat on thick, it will never dry properly, and will make a mess.

Make sure your spatula NEVER touches the cake when putting the final icing on - it has to stay in the icing only!

I tried the icing tip and did not have much luck with it. I just use the crumb coat, the final coat with the spatula, and then the Viva method for smoothing. Works like a charm every time! You can see in my pics, I never have any crumbs in the icing!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 18

Is your buttercream too thick??? I cream my butter untill it's light in color and whipped almost, then I mix everything for 10 minutes to make sure it's smooth and spreads easy.
You could try adding a little bit more liquid to your recipie.

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 18

Whenever I make chocolate cake (and I am like you, everyone wants it) I always use two cups when frosting. One cup is filled with warm water to wash my spatula off in, and the other is to scrape off any frosting with crumbs on it. I also crumb coat the first layer and then freeze it to make it nice and hard. I then will put on the second layer. I remember the days of my mother making cakes and making us kids pick out the crumbs with toothpicks before she refridgerated and put on the final icing layer. That method works too, although I am convinced she did it to make us kids think we were important and helpful icon_smile.gif

Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 18

Do you chill your cake before crumb coating it. If it is too soft the cake with come off right along with the icing. I have been a professional decorator for many years------------here's what I do. You can check out my results on some cakes I have posted. First chill then cut your layers , fill, then crumb coat. One BIG mistake is the icing and the way it is prepared for use. No matter how much icing you intend to use, fill up your mixing bowl so no air is allowed to be incorporated into the icing. Let it beat on a slow to medium speed for at least ten minutes. You will see the gloss come up, no air bubbles and perfectly smooth. Crumb the cake with with the idea in mind of filling in the crevices and smoothing out the texture. I do not use a spatula for icing my cakes. I use an aluminum trim edger ( found in paint department) I cut it off on the bottom, making sure it is exactly at 90 degree . The cake board is my fence . Chill after crumb coating , not to crust, but to chill enough for second coat to go on to. Make sure your turntable is clean. Learn to use a cake icer. It will take you from okay icing to professional looking. Put on second coat after chilling crumb, then use the trim edger resting on the bottom of turntable ( it will be upright and perfectly straight) then start turning . Think of it as a potter's wheel . Hope that helps. It really does work.

grany110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grany110 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 18

Hello. This is what I do, and never have a problem. First of all. When cake is cool, I just with my hand, brush off any loose crumbs, very lightly so as not to disturbe the cake to make more crumbs. Your frosting has to be light and fluffy, whip it real good with a mixer. I only use Crisco shortning. A ratio of about one box powdered sugar to about two cups shortning. " I never measure" I taste test, LOL. the best way to go. And I only use Milk, don't ever use water, it makes it too heavy. And butter will also make it too heavy. Crisco makes it get nice and fluffy, And airy.A little salt, and vanilla. That's all that goes in my recipie. "Well almost" the other thing a secret. But you won't miss it. Well anyway. Then I pile the icing on top of cake, huge mound. Then lightly with cake knife, start pushing the icing over to the edges smoothing down to the sides,Leaving it on a very thick layer, say about one to one half inch thick. when I've got the whole thing covered. Then I start with a clean knife, I start elimnating some of the icing. Be careful not to go to close to the cake or you will end up with crumbs. If you start to see cake, your going to close, stop and add just a little more icing back on. When you get to the stage you like, Then with a hot knife { Dipped in hot water} I smooth over the surface, to get a nice clean white paper like affect. Keep dipping the knife in the water, keeping it clean as much as possible. I've been doing it this way for more than 25 years. And works great for me. It's how the pros do it. And I am a retired pro. Good luck.
Also, if this proceedure scares you. You can also do what the other's have suggested. Just add a VERY thin layer of your Icing , just to seal the cake, and let it set up before applying the reg . coat. GOOD LUCK>

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 18

I actually never crumb coat any of my cakes, and have used various frosting recipes, and all I do is use the icing tip. I am VERY generous with the frosting, though.

I wipe away all of the loose crumbs on the cake and the board, then using a turn table I use the icing tip and cover it completely. Spatula never touches the cake. Works every time for me.

Good luck!!
Angie

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 18

Sweetgurl- what is a trim edger? I tried to google it and find a picture and I am not sure what you are talking about. And when you cut the edge off, could you post a pic of what you mean? I am just curious.
Always learning and I love how your cakes look! Very smooth. What BC recipe do you use?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 18

That trim edger looks like just the ticket!! I get pretty darned smooth with a spatual, but that thing looks like it would work great! Thanks for sharing!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 18

A great method is also using apricot preserves to crumb coat. I used to do this all the time, and it doesn't affect the taste of the cake, and holds the crumbs in great. All you have to do is melt the preserves down so that they are liquid, and brush the cake, generously. Then refrigerate like you would until it's set. It may be a little tacky to the touch, but the crumbs aren't coming off. It worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%