The Nerve!

Decorating By lilypie Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 12:00am by lilypie

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 11

Back story:
A few months ago, my FIL asked me to make his parents 50th anniversary cake. i did. June 24th. 3 tiers, 2 sheetcakes.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_694843.html i was given $50 for supplies (which didn't cover them) and he agreed to pay me $100 more the next week. The man is a longshoreman, and makes around $2400/week.

My poor husband, on the other hand, is trying to get into the longshoreman union, and between his three jobs, supports our family on about half that for an entire month.

I received no further payment. He acts as though he doesn't remember... and never has any money upon questioning.

Jump to yesterday.. He actually called my husband and asked if i had any nice cake stands. His new wife is gunna try to make her sister's wedding cake, and they figured i had extras. and how much is that border i put on the anniversary cake? can they just buy that somewhere?

I was very proud of my dear husband... he told them no. we don't have anything like that (which, of course we do) and I MADE everything that went on the anniversary cake, so no on that too. and good luck.

Can you believe this? i'm sure yall can. you've heard worse than all this, i'm sure...

it was made even more precious, because he called my husband, instead of asking me, as i was at the hospital with my Grandma, who was just diagnosed with terminal cancer. its been a great week.

10 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 11

What I could do with $2400 a week! Heck, what I could do with $2400 a month! *sigh*

Sheesh. Some people just don't get it. I'm sure his new wife thinks she can just bake up a cake and decorate it, no problem. They will probably be asking you for help when they realize it's not that easy! LOL!

Beautiful cake by the way. I love the twisted gold rope border.

So sorry to hear about your gram. My 82-year-old gram beat cancer when docs said there was only a 10-15% chance for her. Keep your hopes up!

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 11

I'm so sorry about your Grandmother...but also proud of your husband for saying "NO"! Like MichelleM77, I think some people don't realize all the cost and labor that goes into a cake of any sort...and the one you made was really nice! Hopefully, when his new wife starts to make and decorate her sister's wedding cake, they will realize how much you really put into it.

$2400 a week?!? Must be nice! I just lost my job, so things are really tight around here.

Keep us posted!! icon_smile.gif

lilypie Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 11

Grandma just had surgery on Tuesday. They were going to try to remove her tumor, only to open her and find out that it was so large and bonded with EVERYTHING that there would be really no possibility for them to make much difference. They couldn't remove it from her aorta, for fear she would quickly bleed to death. It is renal cancer, so chemotherapy will have little to no effect. She has been given 6 - 18 months.

she has been going to the doctor (she has Kaiser) for the last year, and they have been treating her for kidney infections, and sending her home with antibiotics. One of them even gave her an antidepressent, as it was obviously in her head. FINALLY someone did a necessary test and found it... and now it has gone so far, they can't even remove it.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 11

bill him!

An invoice in the mail, cause he never has money on him when you ask so send the bill just like his other creditors do. icon_wink.gif

And yes, he DOES have some nerve.
mommachris

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 11

Just when you think you have heard it all! WOW! icon_eek.gif

Even more importantly, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. How heartbreaking.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 11

First of all, I am sorry about your grandma! Second of all, send that man a bill. Print something up and keep sending it until he pays it!

So sorry for your trouble!!

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 11

Sorry to hear about your gram - that stuff is always upsetting. Regarding the new wife...
For 19.95, you can get one of those Betty Crocker kits off TV that makes it so "you too can decorate like the pros" icon_smile.gif Isn't that what we all use? LOL! Bill him - if he doesn't pay, just wait for the next anniversary, volunteer to make the cake, instead of cake, use styrofoam - better yet, just ice a gumpaste mold of a cake and act like you forgot icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry about your gran. regarding the lovely cake you made, remember, 'what goes around, comes around'. Every dog has his day. Concentrate on better things than your stingy FIL.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 11

Just wanted to also say I'm sorry to hear what your grandmother is going thru. Prayers for your family.....

Agree with the "bill him" suggestions.

I had a similar. My ex-husband (EX!!!!!!!-husband icon_mad.gif ) called me one day to ask if he could borrow my cake pans, pillars, plates, etc. Someone in his family was getting married and he thought he'd make the cake. (BTW, he'd NEVER made or decorated a cake the entire time I was with him so I've no idea where he got the idea that he could do it now.)

Oh gosh darn gee! It just so happens all of that stuff was packed up and in storage and I had NO idea where it was. Gosh, I'm so sorry I can't help! icon_twisted.gif

lilypie Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:00am
post #11 of 11

sometimes with these idiots i wish i was still a kid so could push them down or something! Good for u indydebi! always an inspiration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%