How I Got My Cake Level

Decorating By bbarnes Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm by Sweetpeeps

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:42am
post #1 of 15

Well I was having a heck of a time trying to level my cake, I have the wilton, leveler but that just does not work for me, I tried using toothpicks and cut way too much in the center so, here is what I did, I measured the sides with a ruler got the height I wanted and inserted a bamboo stick at that mark and did it all around the cake the stick met in the middle and then I started at one side and started to slice the sticks held my knife in place and I got some pretty even cakes. I attached a photo. Maybe this will help when trying to remove those humps. Just thought I would share.

Love this place

Brenda
LL

14 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #2 of 15

Great idea. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try this on a cake tomorrow.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:06am
post #3 of 15

The wilton leveler does not work for me either.Thanks for sharing this tip.

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:16am
post #4 of 15

That is a great tip! I will definitely try that next time! I too have trouble making my cakes level-

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:22am
post #5 of 15

Do you use the bake even strips by Wilton? They're awesome... I don't usually get a hump at all in my cakes when I use them.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #6 of 15

I've found that meringue powder in the batter really helps my cakes stay level. I hardly use the strips anymore. Yours is a great idea. I'm sure lots of people will be thankful for that one.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:30am
post #7 of 15

That's a really great idea. I have problems with the wilton leveler if the edges are very crispy. If they aren't, then I don't seem to have any problems. I have only used the leveler on small cakes though....this will be helpful for sheets. Thank you for sharing...the visual helps a ton.

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 15

What a great idea! I am going to try it this week icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 15

Leveling cakes has been such a nightmare that now I fill them so I can level in the pan.... I have accidentally overflowed a couple times but they are really even now....great idea!

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 15

Tip on using the wilton leveler. I noticed that if your edges are crispier, if you make a small starter cut at the level you want your cake cut, it makes using the leveler so much easier. You don't need to make it very deep into the cake, just a smidge to get through the outter part.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 15

I purchased an Agbay Leveler and I am really pleased with it. Yes it was expensive (more so because of International shipping) but was worth it. Another cake decorator in our club also purchased one after she saw mine. Before that I was having trouble even when leaving them in the pans and cutting across the top. Came to the conculsion that the pans were not that level. Briarview

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 15

The Agbay leveler is top of the line. You will not find a better one. You can get replacement blades as well if yours gets dull.

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 15

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Michellear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellear Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 15

sweetpeeps - how much meringue powder do you add to your batter?

Cool idea by the way, I would have never thought of that! I do like one of the other posters & purposely fill the pan too full so I can level in the pan!

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 15

I put about 1 Tablespoon in per recipe or cake mix, depending on what I'm using. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%