Cake Tasting

Business By samymccray Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm by indydebi

samymccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samymccray Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to selling cakes and when I was married I ordered my cake from out of town so I missed out on the cake tastings and am clueless as to how it works.
How do you go about preparing for a tasting? How do you know how much to make? How many different flavors of cake and icing do you make? Do you give them cupcakes or mini cakes? Do you have to make a bunch of different flavored batches? My concern with this would be wasting a bunch of cake just to make enough for one couple to taste.
I would LOVE to go to a bunch of different bakeries and pretend I was a Bride again just to see, but I don't think my husband appreciate another round of our chaotic pre-wedding life. LOL Maybe you guys could just help help me out instead.
Again, I am clueless in this area and would love some ideas as to how it works.

Thanks alot!

Samantha

2 replies
meredetrois Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredetrois Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 3

I'm new to this as well and have never done a tasting. Very good questions. Also, how many tastings do you schedule per day? How far apart would you schedule a tasting?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 3

Here's a thread on tastings and it has some other links in it to other threads. Very informative: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-343753-six.html+inch+square

Basically, I make 2 small cakes for them. Dont' make too many flavors or too many choices. Seriously, it's too confusing for them.

My samplings take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, depending on how many questions they ask and how prepared they are.

Since I started taking notes directly onto the order forms on my laptop (instead of on a notepad, then transferring it later), I've cut the time down. A sampling for cake and catering used to take at least an hour .... I can now get them in and out in 30-40 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%