Regarding The New Crisco

Decorating By KASCARLETT Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm by CeeTee

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 20

I would like to encourage all of those who have trouble with the new 0 transfat Crisco to go to Crisco's website and TELL THEM ABOUT IT!! If people continue to complain about it and do nothing about letting them know that they are affecting a HUGE market of consumers, then they aren't going to listen to the few that do make their voices heard. They also have a toll-free # that you can call.

When I wrote them, I suggested that maybe they have both versions available. Hey, wouldn't hurt and maybe, just maybe it will help!

19 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:54am
post #2 of 20

Good idea, and many members have done that. icon_smile.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:22am
post #3 of 20

From what I understand, though, this is a government regulation that is going to affect all shortenings & Crisco is just ahead of the game on getting the change done. I may be mistaken (I hope so!), but I believe all shortenings will be 0 transfat very soon. icon_sad.gif

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:23am
post #4 of 20

I just sent them an email about the New Crisco and suggested that they make both available as well. Thanks for suggesting it=)

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 20

Great idea, I heard KFC has stated they have lost a lot of Customers because of the o transfat too.

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 20

I just started decorating in mid July - after the new crisco was released so I don't know any different. My instructor gave us a basic buttercream recipe with 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco. It's yummy and seems to do the job. Please educate me, what's the difference that's got everyone's feathers ruffled so much?

Hugs,
Diana in VA

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 20

I think I am one of the very few who like the new crisco better. For me, my icing has come out much more smooth and a more fluffy taste. my customers like it too thumbs_up.gif
I am curious too, why everyone dislikes the new crisco??

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 20

Actually my understanding is the reason Crisco changed is that the government requires they list the trans fats and how much an item contains. I gave up on the new Crisco and have now switched to Sweetex hi-ratio shortening. It has trans fats and it is made especially for bakers. I do not think they will be changing it. At least I hope not.
The new Crisco crated alot of air holes in the icing and it melt easier. The last sheet cake I made it was hot and when I cut the cake under the border was a line of grease. No more for me unless they quit making Sweetex.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 20

I agree with MommyEdzards, I like the new crisco, but I didn't start making frosting with it until April or May so I don't know if I ever used the old stuff. I used to use the old stuff making my yellow cake and never noticed any difference when they made the switch.

bkdcakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyEdzards

I think I am one of the very few who like the new crisco better. For me, my icing has come out much more smooth and a more fluffy taste. my customers like it too thumbs_up.gif
I am curious too, why everyone dislikes the new crisco??

For me, it doesn't crust & after a short time, the oil begins to seep out & puddle around the cake. Frequently, the icing all melts off the cake. It has a nasty, oily feel in the mouth. I had used the same recipe for 15 years & never had one problem, until they changed the Crisco. I've had to find new recipes to use & I still have some problems. The High Humidity BC on CC is very good, but I noticed that it has a wierd taste after a few days, even in the fridge. I guess it's the milk, my old recipe used water, not milk. icon_cry.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 20

I HATE the new crisco and told them so, I switched to Sweetex, now when they ALL change I guess we will all have air pockets and won't have to be the only ones with scarry looking icing. I can't get rid of the air pockets that's why I switched.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 20

Have noticed that a lot of 'store brand' crisco's don't have the 0 Trans. Used the store brand over the weekend and it was fine.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 20

I don't have any issues with it either - my BCs come out fine with the zero trans fat. Even if I had BC issues I'd rather have a pool of melted mess than feed the trans fat stuff to my family or friends.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:38pm
post #14 of 20

I'm another person who has had no problems with the new Crisco. My icings always come out pretty smooth and crust well no matter the brand of shortening I've used. I've never had problems with chunks in icing or melting/oil seperation*. It spreads smooth and tastes good.

I think maybe it's because I do not make a pure shortening icing? I do a 50/50 with butter blend. I also live in AZ where it's very dry and warm and most people who I've seen complain live in more humid climates.

I think the idea of both trans and non-trans shortenings being available is a good one. Sadly the new Crisco is a by-product of government pressure and mass market hysteria. Trans Fat is the new Carbs. The general consumer market is all in a panic over it and Crisco is trying to stay ahead of the marketing trend. I'm guessing in time Crisco will quietly change back to its old blend once the Trans Fats scare passes and the goverment moves on to new things to try to regulate in the name of saving face with the American public.

/mini-rant off icon_razz.gif

*I do have problems with melty icing, but that always has to do with the heat and not the crisco. I can make the perfect batch of stiff, smooth decorator icing and have it a melted puddle of goo after a few minutes in 110+ degree heat, no matter what I put in it! Had that happen to me last night actually. No matter what I did my icing would not cooperate and when I was about to give up I relaized it was over 90 in my house. icon_eek.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #15 of 20

Sorry CeeTee but I respectfully disagree with you. There is plenty of scientific evidence that trans fats will clog up some great plumbing in our systems and its not mass market hysteria. Many people said the same thing about cigarette smoking years ago. Carbs are not being touted as unhealthy like trans fats are. What is discussed is what certain types of carbs in certain amounts can do to blood sugar levels (e.g. impacting energy levels, etc...).

CeeTee Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Sorry CeeTee but I respectfully disagree with you. There is plenty of scientific evidence that trans fats will clog up some great plumbing in our systems and its not mass market hysteria. Many people said the same thing about cigarette smoking years ago. Carbs are not being touted as unhealthy like trans fats are. What is discussed is what certain types of carbs in certain amounts can do to blood sugar levels (e.g. impacting energy levels, etc...).

Oh, I'm not saying trans fats are ok and that there's no reason to not be worried about it, but it is being whipped up into frenzy mode by various sources and making trans fat illegal and taking it out of all food is not the answer. Trans fats have been around as long as mankind, and it's not an issue so long as people are aware of it and keep the foods that contain it to healthy levels or an occasional treat. Same goes with sugars, carbs, and anything else.

The reason trans fats have become a huge deal is because the general populace has adopted unhealthy eating habits and they would rather continue eating badly and whine about it killing them rather than eat healthy in the first place. Like the case that brought this all to the forefront to begin with...if the mom just fed her kid heathy food instead of taking him to KFC all the time it would not have been an issue.

The new Crisco is a casualty of people not taking responsibility for what they put into themselves and the continuing obsession with suing everyone under the sun for any reason whatsoever. Threatening to sue companies and demanding the government to make laws for unhealthy food be 'healthier' so they can continue to overindulge is insanity, but that's what's going on right now.

bkdcakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Oh, I'm not saying trans fats are ok and that there's no reason to not be worried about it, but it is being whipped up into frenzy mode by various sources and making trans fat illegal and taking it out of all food is not the answer. Trans fats have been around as long as mankind, and it's not an issue so long as people are aware of it and keep the foods that contain it to healthy levels or an occasional treat. Same goes with sugars, carbs, and anything else.

The reason trans fats have become a huge deal is because the general populace has adopted unhealthy eating habits and they would rather continue eating badly and whine about it killing them rather than eat healthy in the first place. Like the case that brought this all to the forefront to begin with...if the mom just fed her kid heathy food instead of taking him to KFC all the time it would not have been an issue.

The new Crisco is a casualty of people not taking responsibility for what they put into themselves and the continuing obsession with suing everyone under the sun for any reason whatsoever. Threatening to sue companies and demanding the government to make laws for unhealthy food be 'healthier' so they can continue to overindulge is insanity, but that's what's going on right now.

AMEN!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 20

I've never had problems with the new Crisco, knock on wood. icon_smile.gif However, the last batch of icing I made intially had a greasiness to it. After sitting for a while, it actually improved and the taste was great. As for the reason Crisco has changed to 0 trans fat, I don't think it is completely due to unhealthy lifestyles but for overall health. Personally, I'm glad it changed, and I switched to 0 trans fat when it first came out (green packaging). My kids health is more important than a small inconvenience to me, and my family tries to live a healthy lifestyle. But no matter how you look at it, there's nothing healthy about cake.

I don't think Crisco is going to change for us when under pressure from the general population and government. We're definitely in the minority here. This isn't just an issue of unhealthy eating habits. Heredity comes into play as well, and small amounts of trans fat can wreck havoc on some people, even with a healthy lifestyle. My husband for instance eats healthy and rides his bike 30 miles everyday. His cholesterol is sky high even though he does the right thing, and he must take medication to control it. Eating trans fat even in moderation is only going to buy him a ticket to a heart attack. I think this is more the reason for the change rather than people who engorge themselves with junk food.

Even though I disagree, I do appreciate and respect others' opinions on this. It's nice to know I may have problems with my icing and may need to switch to a butter or 50/50 recipe in the future. Thanks

CeeTee Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocakes

As for the reason Crisco has changed to 0 trans fat, I don't think it is completely due to unhealthy lifestyles but for overall health. Personally, I'm glad it changed, and I switched to 0 trans fat when it first came out (green packaging). My kids health is more important than a small inconvenience to me, and my family tries to live a healthy lifestyle. But no matter how you look at it, there's nothing healthy about cake.

I don't think Crisco is going to change for us when under pressure from the general population and government. We're definitely in the minority here. This isn't just an issue of unhealthy eating habits. Heredity comes into play as well, and small amounts of trans fat can wreck havoc on some people, even with a healthy lifestyle.

I'm all for making changes for a healthy lifestyle. The past year I've been moving away from a junk food heavy diet to a proper, healthy one. I developed thyroid cancer two years ago and my body has not been the same since. Even with all the threads and complaints I've heard, I still go for the zero trans Crisco even though I can still get trans fat shortening at my local store. I'm very happy that it's available because otherwise I would never use shortening at all in my icing and I like the stability it provides.

The thing I don't like about the zero trans fat movement is that the choice is being taken away. It doesn't matter how noble the reasoning behind it ("Good Intentions" and all that), when you take away choice for one thing, then it makes it easier to take away choices on others. Information and discipline is always better than prohibition.

I hope that other shortenings like Sweetex can stay with trans fats in them and trans fat shortening does not dissapear from the shelves. It's better in the long run for the market to have variety and move in a direction where more alternatives for fats (healthy or non) in icings and cakes become more readily available rather than all going in one direction and being trans fat free only.

CeeTee Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #20 of 20

Also, I respect everyone's opinions on here as well, and I don't disagree with anyone. icon_biggrin.gif This has been a good discussion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%