Yo Gabba Gabba

Lounge By cykrivera Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 12:52am by MimiFord

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #1 of 40

Oh my Gosh, has anyone else seen this new kids show on Nick Jr? I saw the commercials and thought that it maybe was better then it seemed. It came on the other morning and so I left it on for a couple minutes, my 2 yr old just stared and I sat there with my mouth open not blinking. It was like a bad trip! It's insanity. I have learned to handle The Doodlebops and The Wiggles and suffer through Higglytown Heroes and others but I could not take it. I had to change the channel. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it and what you thought. Maybe I'm missing something. I think the songs they sing have good messages, but I just can't get past the puppet master and characters!

39 replies
JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 40

Well...I haven't actually sat down and watched it, although it does seem to draw in my 4 and 5 year olds. They've been watching it this week...I sneek off to CC. I did catch a preview online. My kids love to play on the computer (4 and 5 and know how to use a computer) and came across some episodes before they started. I had to watch part because they were so excited and insisted that I watch...that was enough. Seems really silly to me...don't understand what the kids see?

On another note, I don't mind the Wiggles. We actually went to see them in concert (we were on the floor at Joe Loius Arena). It was fun!!

Jodie

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 40

It's so funny to see this on here...I kept thinking of asking others about it too.

I thought it looked like some 70s throwback kids show or something. But my kids LOVE it! I haven't watched it....I find other things to do when it's on.

Look at his wig and outfit!?!

My kids' favorites are Dora, Diego, WonderPets, Backyardigans and SpongeBob. My daughter is all the time singing the WonderPets song when she's playing and I can get them to cooperate with using teamwork!
What's gonna work? Team-work! icon_lol.gif

Yep, I can get sucked in sometimes... icon_redface.gif

Sandi4tpc Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi4tpc

Look at his wig and outfit!?!

Hmm, maybe it's a hat and not a wig.
Even the kids they show in between 'skits' are wearing some retro style or retro-inspired clothes.

I did see Elijah Wood on there the other day.

cykrivera Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 40

Maybe we'll give it one more try. My 2 yr old loves Disney channel and maybe I let her watch too much, but she pretends that she is Hanah Montana. She puts on her "princess" dress, grabs her mic and starts dancing and singing! It's quite cute. I figure as long as she plays and does other things than watch tv, some tv isn't gonna kill her.

JRAE33 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe we'll give it one more try. My 2 yr old loves Disney channel and maybe I let her watch too much, but she pretends that she is Hanah Montana. She puts on her "princess" dress, grabs her mic and starts dancing and singing! It's quite cute. I figure as long as she plays and does other things than watch tv, some tv isn't gonna kill her.

I see nothing wrong with kids watching tv. All these "experts" that say no more than an hour a day?! Excuse me, but my kids are awake at least 13 hours a day...what are they supposed to do?! Especially in states like MI where the weather often forces us indoors?! They play a lot, they do crafts, they watch tv...some days they will watch tv nearly all day, sometimes they won't watch it at all. I don't see the problem as long as they are playing as well.

Which reminds me...what's up with this recent study that showed that kids who watch educational videos (such as Baby Einstein series) learn less words? My oldest two loved those videos and watched them daily...buy 18 months they could carry on a conversation with me. My youngest is 18 months now. He does not watch any tv, he is on the go ALL DAY LONG! And his vocabulary, though growing daily, is nothing like the other two. He knows lots of words, but can't converse with me. Just my thoughts...

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

I see nothing wrong with kids watching tv. All these "experts" that say no more than an hour a day?! Excuse me, but my kids are awake at least 13 hours a day...what are they supposed to do?! Especially in states like MI where the weather often forces us indoors?! They play a lot, they do crafts, they watch tv...some days they will watch tv nearly all day, sometimes they won't watch it at all. I don't see the problem as long as they are playing as well.

Which reminds me...what's up with this recent study that showed that kids who watch educational videos (such as Baby Einstein series) learn less words? My oldest two loved those videos and watched them daily...buy 18 months they could carry on a conversation with me. My youngest is 18 months now. He does not watch any tv, he is on the go ALL DAY LONG! And his vocabulary, though growing daily, is nothing like the other two. He knows lots of words, but can't converse with me. Just my thoughts...

I agree. My 2nd is the one who loves TV the most. He's always watching. While all my kids have a good vocabulary, his is amazing. He knows words that many adults don't know because he picks them up from the TV...and funny phrases as well. No, I think TV helps, rather than hinders, vocab.

I haven't heard of this new show but sounds weird! Can it be any worse than Booh bah? (or however that's spelled)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 40

Boobah is the worst, hands down! LOL!

I have thought a lot about the t.v. issue. It seems that those of us born in the 70's were really the 1st "t.v. generation", when more moms were working and still trying to do it all, and more parents divorced. The t.v. was basically my babysitter! And I'm fine, went to college, got good grades, yada yada yada. But then again, maybe if I hadn't watched all that t.v. I would have found the cure for cancer or something. haha

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 40

I completely agree with LaSombra and JRAE33. I have a 20 month old. he "watches" Noggin is sometimes on in the background while he plays. Sometimes he's interested and watches and sometimes he totally ignores it and plays with his toys. He is reaching "normal" developmental milestones and is a smart little kid.

Too funny about Yo Gabba Gabba! My husband and I had only seen little preview clips of it and we thought it was totally annoying. But then it came on earlier in the week as a full episode and my DH was home with my son said he was mesmerized by it!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 40

I have a two year old and a four year old. We watched Yo Gabba Gabba yesterday, and I thought it was ultra cheesy (I thought the same of Doodlebops when they first came out). I think someone else posted... they have songs with good messages in them, but just from the production aspect, it's like they didn't have a lot of money to put into it.

My kids are on a Jack's Big Music Show kick now.... oh and Spongebob - he's been a favorite for about 2 years now.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

My kids are on a Jack's Big Music Show kick now.... oh and Spongebob - he's been a favorite for about 2 years now.

I love Jack's Big Music Show. I'm big into musical learning and really like the way they put alot of importance on music. Spongebob...not a learning show, which I prefer, but certainly much better than some of the crappola out there like Grimm Adventures of Billy & Mandy. ugh! I hate that show...the girl is such a B tapedshut.gif and I really don't want that rubbing off on my kids.

cc7190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cc7190 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 40

We turned this on Wednesday. My son, 4, lasted about 6 minutes before he told me turn it off! He said it was too weird. I was intrigued by the ads, but it was like a bad acid trip watching it!!!

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 40

jumpy jump jump jump jump jump! yea trust me my daughter had learned that song before the show even came on the air.. and we hear it all over so i sent it to tivo, this week because it was on every day she is TOTALLY in love and I think it has to be the most annoying thing i've come across so far... and I really thought some of the others were bad but If i have to hear that there is a party in her tummy one more time i'm likely to end up having a party in the psych ward.... lol
Jen

JRAE33 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 40

Noley...the party in the tummy...I can relate. My kids have been saying that for awhile now...every since they pre-viewed the show online. It took me awhile to figuire out where they got that! Gotta love the things they pick up on....Jodie

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:24am
post #15 of 40

My niece saw some previews or something and got my son into at Grandmom's house on the NickJr website. He seems to have forgotten all about it. I may keep it that way. If it comes on in the mornings, we'd have to DVR it since he has pre-K.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:19am
post #16 of 40

I have 4 yr old fraternal twin boys. One loved the show and the other hated it. My kids are very into Nick Jr (I don't let them watch Spongebob yet- something about that show rubs me the wrong way) and Playhouse Disney. I hate to admit it, but we are big tv watchers. It's nice to know I'm not the only mom out there like that! icon_rolleyes.gif

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:13am
post #17 of 40

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's kids watches TV. It seems like all the other moms in my area are Supermom and spend their whole days playing with their kids and keeping a perfect house at the same time. I'm sure it's not that way in reality, but it sure seems like it sometimes.

I haven't seen this new show. My DD watched it and loved it, but I couldn't even stand the previews. I HATE the Doodlebops with a passion - they are so annoying! I don't like Spongebob either, can't explain why but he rubs me the wrong way too, but my kids will sneak it on if I'm not careful. With our TV I can program in which shows I want them to watch at which times and then I lock up the remote and if they don't want to watch what I picked they can turn it off and do something else. Sometimes if there are two shows at the same time I'm OK with I'll let them pick which one. Mostly they like Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (3yo DS LOVES Mickey), Dora, Diego, Blue's Clues and Curious George (PBS).

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #18 of 40

I try to keep my son to what seems to be recommended by pediatricians which is less than 2 hours of screen time per day. Between pre-k, meals and early to bed, it usually works.

Anyway, I am glad someone besides me is not fond of SpongeBob. I have no good reason either-- just rubs me wrong too. I have only seen a couple of minutes of a couple of episodes, but I just don't like it.

Sandi4tpc Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 8:03pm
post #19 of 40

Well, my DH watched Yo Gabba Gabba this morning...it has been confirmed...HE'S A BIG KID!! He said "this show is great!" Seriously, folks, he wasn't joking!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 40

My two boys LOVE this show!! My 3 year old especially, because he dances to the music the whole time. But my 15 month old who doesnt normally stay interested in tv loves it too! I read that NickJr wanted a different show, based on music. At some point, they are supposed to have a guest that will teach the kids to beatbox.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:49pm
post #21 of 40

Maybe it will be Blake Lewis from American Idol.. I would watch that!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:31am
post #22 of 40

My 14 month old seems to like it but...it's a little strange to me icon_confused.gif She also likes Wheel of Fortune, Whammy and Lingo....and anything with Chuck Woolery...go figure?????

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:28am
post #23 of 40

I saw the previews for this show the other day. I just don't think I can get into this show. The doodlebops drive me looney and boobah's just plain annoying. We watch quite a few shows off of PBS. My kids love Sesame Street and Caliou. As for the other channels, they like Blues Clues and Dora. That's about all I let them watch, except for Scooby Doo. I think I let them watch Scooby so I can watch it. icon_lol.gif I love the Scooby cartoons. My oldest DD likes to watch the stupid nickelodeon cartoons like spongebob and fairly oddparents. I can't stand those shows. They just don't make cartoons like they used to. As for the amount of time I let them watch tv, usually they watch about 2 hours of shows in the morning and then maybe an hour in the afternoon/evening. It's not that I restrict tv, it's just that there are only a handful of shows that I will let them watch. Honestly there are times when the tv is a god-send when I get stressed out. It gives them something to do and it gives me a much needed break.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 11:43am
post #24 of 40

My 2 year old loves it. There was a song that went something like "Wiggle wiggle wiggle GO, wiggle wiggle wiggle GO" and I looked over at him and he had his hands over his ears! But he still watched it.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #25 of 40

My 3 year old loves it. I think the show must have a budgeted amount for drugs. icon_eek.gif
The Wiggles were great in concert! We went as a family, and it was a really good show, with jokes for the grownups as well as the kids.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #26 of 40

I HATE YO GABBA GABBA. I have only seen the previews, and it looks like the stupidest, most annoying thing I have ever encountered. I don't know why the so called experts think that crap is good for kids. Like the op said, it looks like a bad drug trip from the 70's. Not in this house, thank you very much!
thumbsdown.gif

calley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calley Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:58pm
post #27 of 40

My 3 year old loves Boomerang. It has all the oldies but goodies like Scooby, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes. Some of these newer shows for kids are just plain creepy!

cykrivera Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:58pm
post #28 of 40

Well I got through the show and my daughter loved it! It wasn't that bad, just silly and since my daughter and I are complete goofballs, we danced and sang like fools!!! Now she asks when it's coming on so she can watch. I just wish they made more episodes of some these shows so we parents don't have to watch the same show over and over. I guess it"s better for the kids so they learn the lessons, I don't know.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calley

My 3 year old loves Boomerang. It has all the oldies but goodies like Scooby, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes. Some of these newer shows for kids are just plain creepy!

My 3 year old won't watch a lot of those old cartoons, especially Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Looney Tunes, etc. She doesn't like all of the banging and bashing and hitting. She'll ask me to change it.
Hate to admit it, but YGG is growing on me. We watch it almost every day. And there are a couple episodes on DVR. "There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!" icon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #30 of 40

Oh Yo Gabba Gabba... 2 y/o DD likes it, 11 m/o DD LOVES it. While getting everyone ready for bed, we'll usually put something recorded on the DVR to keep her occupied since she is the last one in the sequence. First it was Wiggles, then Go Baby, then Little Einstiens, now it is YGG. She starts bouncing up and down and dancing! It makes us laugh!

You've gotta wait your turn, it's only faiiiir. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%