Fbct Bleeding ?

Decorating By chocomama Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 1:53am by cookinmamma

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:58am
post #1 of 7

Every time I make a FBCT the black outline bleeds into the inner colors. I have a large Elmo to make and I don't want that to happen with this guy. Could the problem be from using Wilton's black color? I plan to use Americolor this time.

6 replies
donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like the consistency of your bc might be too thin- try to may it thicker- stiff enough to still flow out of the tip. Better yet buy a ready to use tube of Wilton black the large size - and try it - it's about the only thing it's good 4... icon_rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

chocomama Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 7

That's what I had been using! icon_surprised.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

I always use the Wilton class buttercream for fbct. It crusts nicely and doesn't bleed. Your current icing probably defrosts to the point where it becomes runny.

chocomama Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

That's also what I always use and it's never been runny. Wilton class BC and the tube of Wilton black. If you look at my photos you can see on the Bears cake and the cat cake where some bleeding happened.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

Use duncan hines chocolate or dark chocolate icing for the outlines. It pipes wonderfully and is bulky enough to withstand other icing pressing in on it. It also saves time and coloring.

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 7

I too have had a problem with bleeding fbct. Mine doesn't occur right away though. Could that just be from the temperature change? Like after it defrosts and sits for a while water dropplets appear and then the colors start to run. I think I will try the duncan hines frosting, but it is not just the black that runs (althought that is the bulk of it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%