Stacked Cakes

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 1:44am by mug

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

I've read all these forums about stacked cakes and stacked cakes for weddings and people saying they only use pound cake for it. Can't you use any cake you want.? Why would they say only pound cake?

THank you

5 replies
sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 6

I think the pound cake thing came from the desire to have a more sturdy cake to support the construction. You can use whatever you want as long as you dowel it well enough and the layers don't fall apart on you. I just tried the extender recipe for the first time and that made a great consistancy for stacking.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 6

The more dense the cake, the sturdier it is. I agree with the previous post, no matter what you use, as long as you dowel it enough, you should be okay.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:40am
post #4 of 6

I have an upcoming cake & want to try 2 stacked cakes. Can a chiffon cake be stacked as long as dowels are properly placed? just want to make sure that the cake won't collapse. I'm doing a 10 and 8' round cakes.... thanks

I haven't tried stacked cakes, ever....

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

the cake recipe at the bakery i work at isn't very sturdy, but it works. you just have to dowel it properly. I like the hidden pillar method, where you use plastic separator plates and wilton hidden pillars. the plates have feet that fit into the pillars, so it is very stable

mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #6 of 6

bump...

I'm curious about stacking chiffon cakes too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%