Box? Lid? Otoscope? Agh!

Decorating By destini377 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm by ibmoser

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I have this box I need to make. Haven't done one before but I figured 'Hey, I can do that!' icon_lol.gif (don't laugh). The cake is going to be a two layer 11x15 sheet, cut down a little. It just strikes me now that this is going to make for one enormous lid and it might be better to have it sitting off and angled on a side/corner rather than like an open hinged lid????? Yes? No? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Then too, would it be better to make it out of fondant or gumpaste? Yikes! icon_cry.gif I have worked a bit with both but never on a lid. Suggestions?! Ah! And, yes, I always get wacky and nervous before a cake icon_rolleyes.gif

I know, I know, I draw like a third grader icon_lol.gif but here is the sketch of my cake if it helps.
LL

7 replies
2BoysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2BoysMom Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 8

I'm a total novice...planning to take the Wilton 1 class soon, so I can't offer much advice. Your cake plan is interesting. The cake will be a neat cake. Your sketch is very realistic. Why did you choose an otoscope in the case, if you don't mind my asking? A cake for an ear, nose, and throat clinic?

Janna

destini377 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

Actually for a graduating medical student. This was along the lines of ONE of the bunch of ideas he had about this cake... if I didn't know better I'd say he had been browsing CC icon_lol.gif

I am also trying to decide whether to make the otoscope out of fondant or gumpaste!?!!?? That's gonna be one heavy bugger!

destini377 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 8

Any ideas or suggestions anyone? I've seen some really great looking boxes and lids with wonderfully clean, smooth lines/edges... how'd you do it?! Did you form the lid around something or free hand it?

2BoysMom Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 8

Your lid sounds like a potential problem. I've seen lots of otoscopes and cases, and all of the ones I've seen are hinged. Maybe you should ask the med student about the lid? Or maybe suggest a large sheet cake with a stethoscope draped across it? Or what about a stack of rectangular cakes decorated like medical textbooks with a stethoscope draped across those?

I can't wait to see your finished cake! I'm sure it will be great!

Janna

destini377 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

Unfortunately at this point I can't change the design... couple more questions...

Can you paint on gumpaste like you would fondant? I need to make the otoscope silver and black.

Also, what is the best way to get a nice velvety look to fondant?

Anyone?

TIA usaribbon.gif

2BoysMom Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 8

I wish I knew the answers to your questions. I'll be watching for responses so I can learn too. I've never used fondant, so I'm clueless. I'm sure somebody here knows.

Janna

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 8

Well, I have made lids before using foam core board as a base and covering with either fondant or gumpaste, but the lids were propped open on a box, not hinged. You can roll gumpaste thinner, so it will be a bit lighter in weight than fondant. If you have time for drying, gumpaste alone would probably be sufficiently strong for the lid and you can insert shish-ka-bob skewers into the "lip" of the lid to insert into the cake for support. Gumpaste or fondant can be painted with luster dust to make it look like metal, and you can texture the fondant or gumpaste by using a piece of fabric like an impression mat - just gently and evenly press the fabric onto the paste to give it a texture more like velvet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%