Cake Extender?

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 2:05am by bluehen92

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 23

I hear people talking about cake extenders, why would you use one? I assume its to make more batter, so why wouldn't you just make 2 recipes of cake instead of extending it, doesn't that thin it out?

Thank you

22 replies
sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 23

Actually, I found that the etender made a more dense cake. It makes about 1.5 the regular amount. I did a 10 in. round with one that baked up perfectly. It was easier to work with since it was a much denser cake than had I just made two boxes of mix. I'm a fan, even though I accidentally used peppermint extract instead of vanilla (rough week). That was actually kinda yummy.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 23

It makes a mix go alot furthur, almost double. Plus it makes them taste alot better, more like scratch. I do not ever make a plain mix anymore.

And no it doesn't thin them. you add flour, sugar, egg, sourcream and favoring.
Stephanie

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 23

What is you normally add a pudding to your mix? Do you still add it?

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 23

Can you use the cake mix extender on chocolate cake mix? Will it lessen the chocolate taste?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 23

When making a chocolate cake and using the extender, add one ounce of premelted baking chocolate. Tastes great.

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #7 of 23

I use 1/4 c. of cocoa and another 2 Tbs. of oil when I do chocolate cakes. The extender is more moist and tastes more like a scratch cake. People can't believe that I started out witha box mix. I will never just use a box mix again!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 23

So what exactly is the cake extender?? Forgive me if I sound stupid. Are there specifice measurements etc.?

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 23

Here is the recipe from this site for the cake mix extender:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_fileid-print-recipeid-1977.html

It adds a little more you your boxed cake mix - rather than using two boxes of cake and makes it taste more home made.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 23

I'm glad this is explained . I didn't know what it was either.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 23

I have been using the cake extender since I read about it on here some time back. It is marvelous when you are making character cakes. I always found that using one mix made them look really skimpy. Now they look much better. My girlfriend swears that they taste 100% better since I started using the extender with my mixes.

Diane

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 23

Thank You! Geminikim, much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 23

I generally get about 6 cups of batter from my DH mixes. But some pans call for 8 cups of batter. Using 2 mixes would make too much batter, but using the extender I get about the right amount.

Also, seems white cake doesn't rise as much as other flavors. So I use the extender and fill my pans just a little more. That way they come out the right height.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 23

Does the sour cream give it a tangy flavor? Is the yogurt better with certain cake flavors?

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 23

I've been adding a box of pudding and an extra egg to my DH mixes. Is this considered an extender?

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 23

I believe that is called a doctored cake mix, not an extender. An extender is used to make more cake mix while a doctored cake mix makes the mix more dense or more flavor, etc.

ME2 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #17 of 23

DL

No, sour cream and yoghurt don't give it a tangy flavor, just a denser, moister cake. It really is good!

When I do it, I make my doctored mix as usual, then add the extender ingredients.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:31pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME2

DL

No, sour cream and yoghurt don't give it a tangy flavor, just a denser, moister cake. It really is good!

When I do it, I make my doctored mix as usual, then add the extender ingredients.

When you say your "doctored mix" do you mean you add pudding and an extra egg and THEN add all of the extender ingredients? What is the consistency and texture then?

Thanks,
Sandra

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiKim

Can you use the cake mix extender on chocolate cake mix? Will it lessen the chocolate taste?

I just used it last weekend with a chocolate cake and it worked fine even without adding any extra chocolate. That's a good idea though.

-Lisa

bluehen92 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:13pm
post #20 of 23

I also love what the extender does to box cakes. I haven't yet found a scratch recipe that works (for me) in a character pan, so I tried the extender with a chocolate mix for a football pan cake. It totally took away the box/preservative taste and came out great.

-Lisa

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #21 of 23

I have a question about the cake extender receipe, is that all purpose flour, cake flour or self rising flour?

ME2 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #22 of 23

I use all purpose

bluehen92 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:05am
post #23 of 23

I use all purpose too.

-Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%