Gumpaste

Decorating By briew Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm by ShirleyW

briew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briew Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 10:07am
post #1 of 4

We don't get gumpaste in NZ, but I am making a shoe and some paintbrushes tomorrow and need something stronger than fondant- so I bought some tragacanth (sp?) does anyone know the ratio? And do I mix it with water to put into fondant???

3 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 4

Ilove making my own gumpaste...you should give it a try...its great to use!!! Nicholas Lodge has a great recipe on his web site.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 4

I forgot to add gumpaste will dry harder and has a lot more flexability. Its also good to use 50/50 fondant /gumpaste for modelling

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 4

If you are using Nicholas Lodge's recipe you can substitute the same amount of Gum Tragacanth for the Tylose called for in the recipe.
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

For a shoe and paintbrushes I would use straight gumpaste, if you are making a figurine you can use 50/50 paste, you get the smoothness of the fondant (What you call sugarpaste) and the faster drying time of the gumpaste. Others mold or model with straight fondant, but I find it too soft for me, maybe because I have warm hands. You can also knead in Tylose or Gum Trag. into the fondant for faster drying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%