Decorating Dusts

Decorating By licia Updated 23 Oct 2006 , 12:09am by missyek

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:57am
post #1 of 5

Hey CCusers,

I am getting more into decorating. I really love the look that is achieved by the various dust, luster, petal and shimmer dust. I have seen so many decorate with it. I know that there are a lot of people who brush it on gumpaste or fondant accents on cakes. Can you tell me if you were to decorate an entire cake with this can this be eaten?

Thanks,

Licia :

4 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:59am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia

Hey CCusers,

I am getting more into decorating. I really love the look that is achieved by the various dust, luster, petal and shimmer dust. I have seen so many decorate with it. I know that there are a lot of people who brush it on gumpaste or fondant accents on cakes. Can you tell me if you were to decorate an entire cake with this can this be eaten?

Thanks,

Licia :

No I would only put it on something that is going to be taken off a cake.. They say NON Toxic on them... BUT that dont mean you can eat the whole thing..

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 6:04am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't eat it! icon_rolleyes.gif

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 6:12am
post #4 of 5

So what are people doing in the cases where they airbrush the cakes and these dust maybe in the mixture? Are they not eating the fondant covering?

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:09am
post #5 of 5

If you use the Wilton shimmer dust, that IS edible (according to the FDA) and can be used without issues. The rest of the dusts are non-toxic (except for a few colors that are specifically labled "for decoration only"). These non-toxic dusts are eaten all the time in the UK. In the US they are labled as non-toxic and labled as a non-food item by the FDA. One person, eating one small piece of a cake that is dusted in luster dust will be fine. I would be concerned if they planned on eating the whole cake and doing that every day. Lots of professionals use the dusts on their cakes--including painting the whole thing. Ultimately it is your decision. Personally, I love my dusts and the looks that I can get with them. I painted my daughter's pillow cake with a purple luster dust and purple pixie dust mixed together--can't beat the look of it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%