Stupid Dog Strikes Again!

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 3:06pm by DelightsByE

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:40am
post #1 of 72

So, I had an incident back in May where my 2 labs pulled a full sheet cake off my dining room table and ate it. (and proceeded to vomit for 2 days). I swore they would DIE if they did it again. HAHAHAHA!

Talk about the cart before the horse...

I had bought 6 pounds of powdered sugar and 4 boxes of mix from walmart. They were still in the walmart bags sitting on my kitchen floor (the dogs don't have easy access to the kitchen (or so I thought). Our youngest dog always goes in her kennel when we leave and the older one has never been a problem.

We left to take my 1 year old son to the mall to run off some energy (it's too hot here to go outside). When we came home for dinner, there was 4 pounds of powdered sugar ALL over my living room and 2 more pounds of powdered sugar and 2 cake mixes ripped open (BOX AND ALL) all over my dining room!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I WANT TO KILL MY DOG!!! She had to walk over a scat mat (it shocks like static electricity when you walk over it) and push open a swinging door to get all that stuff out of the walmart bags, back across the scat mat and into the living and dining rooms and then chew through all the packaging!!!!!

UGH!!!! This cake is due Saturday morning and I have appointments all day tomorrow and can't leave tonight to get my stuff b/c DH is gone. I usually bake Wednesday night and make icing Thursday night and start decorating on Friday morning (and decorate a little all day long during son's naptimes). I'm not sure how I'll get it done now. STUPID DOG!!!!!

71 replies
Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:52am
post #2 of 72

Oh that is so awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

tomsmom245 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:59am
post #3 of 72

Thanks so much. I am trying to find the humor in the fact that the STUPID DOG couldn't even wait for me to bake the darn thing this time...LOL

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #4 of 72

So sorry this happened to you.

Sounds like she would have been good buddies with my last dog. He was notorious for getting into stuff. Once he took a bite out of a pound of butter that was in a box from Costco that I had set down on the floor. I only set it down long enough to go get another box from the car. (Wrapper and all) He also ate a bag of chewing gum (again, wrappers and all), a bag of pistachios (but he left the shells) and once he got into a bag of corn on the cob. I opened the door to see corn husks and cobs and kernals and silk from one end of my house to the other! And one year I had to make three gingerbread houses - he kept stealing them.

Boy, though, talk about impatient! She didn't even wait until you had it baked! I wouldn't think the dry sugar would be so great, but that same dog of mine once ate a box of dry instant pudding, so who knows...

I hope the next attempt goes well and that your doggie behaves herself this time!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #5 of 72

I experienced something similar with a dog we used to have, I had spent 2 days making about 200 BC roses to go on a wedding cake, made them Tuesday/Wednesday so they would be good and dried out by Saturday AM. Left them on the DR table where the ceiling fan would dry them nicely. All day Thursday, all day Friday, they sat undisturbed. Even when we left the house with Athena (dog) home alone. Come Saturday AM, DH and DS went out to some excursion, I headed down to basement to fetch some supplies, as I was coming back up the stairs I heard an aluminum-cookie-sheet-sounding BANG, ran into the DR where Athena was happily munching on the remains of the contents of that tray, about 45 roses in all.

She spent the rest of the day in the backyard until I left for my delivery. I had to really do some fancy rearranging to make the cake look right with only 75% of the roses!!!! icon_mad.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:36am
post #6 of 72

Sorry you had this happened. Were the dogs bouncing off the walls when you got home? Holy cow! 3 bags of PS? And what a mess to clean up!

Roper (our problem doggie) will chew anything when he's bored. We live on a ranch and every evening (if the weather's pretty enough) I drive around the ranch in our Kutoba RTV (kinda like a golf cart) for about 2 miles with him running beside me, stopping at the ponds so he can get a drink and swim to wear his butt out. Then he usually sleeps good at night won't finish tearing the doors off the cabinets in the utility room.

While we're driving around, my 80lb Basset Hound and 5lb Chihuaha is riding in the Kubota with me cheering Roper on.

tomsmom245 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 72

LOL @ All the stories!! Aren't our 'babies' big pains in the butt??? Good thing we seem to love dogs...

My sweet hubby went down into the basement and pulled out the dog kennel so that we can put Shelby into it while we are gone. She didn't like it too much today but the house was intact when I returned! icon_biggrin.gif

Am heading into the kitchen to bake now...DH took our son out for some Daddy time and so I can be alone for a bit....YIPPPPPEEEE!!!!!

idocsdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocsdr Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 72

I would definatly roll a big newspaper up and start beating....
myself over the head! I bet they had some big fun!

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 72

We've got a small fox terrier who hadn't touched any of my cake stuff until the day of my last advanced gumpaste class. She ate 1/2 of my leaves (which I hadn't had time to make enough of in the first place). All my flowers were on the dining table too, but fortunately all she touched was the leaves.

Another time I came home to a potato sitting on my landing...hmm..how on earth did that get there? I found 3-4 whole unmarked potatoes in various places in my house (including upstairs)...unmarked as in no teeth marks at all. Not sure how she carried them all over (they were quite large potatoes and she's not that big). There was 1 that was 1/2 eaten though. Now whenever I'm cutting potatoes, she's right there beside me in the kitchen, obviously she enjoyed the 1/2 she ate!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 72

Yuuuuuuuuucky - (oh so sorry tomsmom245 and chocolateandpeanutbutter,) but I'm still trying to get over the fact that even though it is in bags and boxes that food is on a floor........... ishy kaka.

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #11 of 72

LOL!!!! I know how frustrated you must have been, but your story and rest of these had me giggling. icon_lol.gif You gotta love those furry guys. I remember when ours got into my husband's work bag and decided to chew open the motrin bottle and consume a few! Over $1600 later, he's back to normal! I hope yours are feeling okay, even though right now you are wanting to kill them!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 72

This makes me want to get home quick. I left 2 bags of powdered sugar in reach of my dogs! HA! I have an English mastiff that can easily put her head on the counter top so I completely understand. There have been several things that have gotten "confiscated" by my dear dog. Once I had made peanut butter balls for DH's work. I put them in the center of the island in my kitchen, thinking that there's no way she could reach them. I was wrong and came home to any empty tray on the floor. HA! Got to love them right?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 72

tomsmom245

I can just see the mess and the dogs just sit there and say.......What!!!!....
I lol when I read your story.......

me too.......I put all my baked cakes on a table in the spare room to keep away from little four footed friends......well the gate didn't get up...and of course there was no one home to tell them NO.....all the cakes were eaten off around the edge of the table as far as the dogs would reach.....

needless to say there was a lot of baking going on that evening......

They can make you soooooooo mad but there little faces make your heart melt....

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 72

OK..I know these were about dogs but I have a cat that is now 1 year old and he loves sweet stuff. I have waken up to 1/2 a order of choc. cc eaten and wrapper left, as he ate through the box. I have caught him with my bag of PS and eating through the bag. If I don't do dishes right away he tries to get in the sink and lick the icing bowls.

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 72

Ha! Oh, you must have wanted to laugh and cry at the same time...don't you just wish you could have had that on video to see just how in the world they managed all that?

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 72

Oh I have one of those too! She has taken chunks out of numerous cakes (when will I learn!) and stole many RI roses when I wasn't looking. Ate 1/2 lb of butter and as my hubby put it "butter in, butter out" so she had to stay outside. She has now decided to chew the wood on the stairs!! Now she's not allowed to be alone in any room of the house. Freakin' dogs and their neurotic issues!! Gotta love 'em so you don't kill 'em. icon_lol.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 72

That's so aggravating and what a pain it must have been to clean up. I guess I should not complain so much about the dog getting into my bag of potatoes.
She also likes to eat the garden zucchini... icon_rolleyes.gif

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 72

OH No..I'm so sorry that happened to you!! I haven't had any doggie disasters yet with food. I have small dogs..a Boston Terrier & a Long Haired Dachshund so they have a long way to go to get to the table or counter. My weiner dog may somehow invent a way to get up there, so I've definitely got my eyes on him...he's a serious thief...anything that hits the floor is gone in seconds.

One of the pooches did attempt to eat a hot pepper from the garden, but after one bite decided it wasn't for them and left it on the deck.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #19 of 72

tiptop57
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuuuuuuuuucky - (oh so sorry tomsmom245 and chocolateandpeanutbutter,) but I'm still trying to get over the fact that even though it is in bags and boxes that food is on a floor........... ishy kaka.

I think everybody has come in with loads of groceries and put them on the floor at one point...I really don't think this is gross, the food isn't touching the floor and if they are in boxes and bags I would assume that it's still safe to eat. My floor is clean and am assuming that not all the packaging plants are AS clean as my floor is...I would never say it is ok to lay bare food on the floor but a bag with Boxes of food in it ....well that is not big deal IMHO. icon_smile.gif (not trying to be a weeny, just a friendly opinion)

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 72

I can't imagine cleaning up that mess... how on earth do you get PS out of carpet??? UGH!!!!

Gosh... we all have "bad" dog stories... I feel a little "me too" on this... but, we have a Malamute/Border Collie Mix, a Rottie/Black Lab Mix and a Toy Poodle (don't ask)... Anyhow, the Malamute/Border Collie... thought it would be nice to help himself to 4- 6" sample cakes that I had baked... iced and set on the counter in the middle of the night... thing was... they were all on cake circles... and we couldn't find them anywhere, go figure??? As for the Rottie/Lab... he picks the butter wrappers out of the trash and eats them... seems to have a butter fetish...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:58pm
post #21 of 72

What I find interesting is that you all find this amusing that animals are getting into your FOOD, and will have a complete FIT when you hear someone smokes in the house..... What ever strokes your funny bone, I guess.....

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

What I find interesting is that you all find this amusing that animals are getting into your FOOD, and will have a complete FIT when you hear someone smokes in the house..... What ever strokes your funny bone, I guess.....

You're comparing apples to oranges...I'm sure they don't EAT the food the dogs have gotten into and smoking is gross but has absolutely nothing to do with this post..unless the dogs are smoking inside the house ?? icon_eek.gif

lol

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Thanks grama, I was begining to think I was the only one who doesn't decorate in a kennel. Not only are the dogs getting into THEIR food, the dogs are getting into food that people are paying for. I have a visual of dog hair in wedding cake, stuck to a rose that was salvaged. You wanna talk about ishy kaka?!!!!!???

All it takes is one complaint from a customer to the health department and your selling days are toast, and you'll have a nice fine to pay as well.

tomsmom245 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #24 of 72

ROFL@ Jules!!!! I just HATE HATE HATE when my dogs smoke in the house!!!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #25 of 72

wgoat5 - I know, sad isn't it. I am beyond fanatic - - - recovering ex-hospitality industry personnel.

If I am making something for others to eat, I whitewash the room, use clorax, rubber gloves, plastic sheeting and nothing human nor animal comes near me or my kitchen!!!!!! Food will never, ever sit on the floor, near the floor nor the ceiling for that matter cuz I haven't just scrubbed it with clorax.

I seriously need help......she says shaking her head slowly in disgust as she snaps on the rubber gloves for the next cooking marathon.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #26 of 72

I have an ancient cat who loves butter. To her butter cream icing is the perfect food of the gods. We found this out when we went to deliver a cake one day and came back to her licking the smidges of icing out of the bowl.

I've always put her OUT when decorating and a fully decorated cake either gets boxed up completely, put in the fridge, or put in another room with the door shut. After seeing her eat the icing I'm glad I always took those precautions.

I agree with Grama j and Kansaslaura on this one, we've got to be careful when baking for others in our homes, even if we aren't selling.

tomsmom245 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:32pm
post #27 of 72

I guess I should add here that I have never claimed to be a professional baker, nor do I sell a lot of cakes as I just like to bake and do it for fun. All the cakes that I do sell are to friends who have all been to my house and KNOW my dogs. I guess they find that my kitchen is satisfactorily cleaned or they wouldn't order.

Also, just because we choose to have four-legged fur babies live with us, doesn't mean we are dirty people. I sure don't see anyone making snide comments to those that post in the disaster forum about their children getting into their cakes. Most of us with pets make precautions to keep the pets away from the food prep area. I believe I clearly stated that I keep my pets out of the kitchen and also block them from the dining room just to be safe.

And yes, I DO icon_eek.gif put my groceries (in the bags from the store) on my kitchen floor when I am unloading the car (where the heck else can I put them?????) I really don't see how it's gross and nasty to leave a box of cake mix in a plastic bag on the floor. I used to work in a store and I KNOW what happens to some of that stuff before it hits a shelf, so the last thing I worry about is my floor, dirty or not.

(I hope all you picky people wash your canned goods and cans of soda with soap and water before you open them!!!!)

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:32pm
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

wgoat5 - I know, sad isn't it. I am beyond fanatic - - - recovering ex-hospitality industry personnel.

If I am making something for others to eat, I whitewash the room, use clorax, rubber gloves, plastic sheeting and nothing human nor animal comes near me or my kitchen!!!!!! Food will never, ever sit on the floor, near the floor nor the ceiling for that matter cuz I haven't just scrubbed it with clorax.

I seriously need help......she says shaking her head slowly in disgust as she snaps on the rubber gloves for the next cooking marathon.

No offence intended tiptop,but the FOOD doesn't sit on the floor,the BAG containing the BOX or PACKET sits on the floor...do you think the shops bleach all the shelving before stocking ?

( jinx tomsmom !!! )

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Quote:

....smoking is gross but has absolutely nothing to do with this post..unless the dogs are smoking inside the house ?? icon_eek.gif

lol

My dog ATE a pack of cigarettes once, does that count? icon_lol.gif

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #30 of 72

I'm behind you tomsmom245! I didn't realize that having pets meant that you should not bake cakes. I am not a professional baker by any means, have not sold a cake to date, just do them as gifts for family and friends. I take every measure necessary to clean extra good prior to doing a cake. I've seen kitchens far worse than mine by people who don't own pets.
No offense to anyone because I respect everyone's opinion. However, I think that tomsmom245 posted her story to give us that do have pets, a laugh, not to gain critisim for having indoor pets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%