Want To Do A Dragon Cake

Decorating By cindi Updated 22 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm by mamacc

cindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindi Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone. Newbie here and I'm looking for Japanese theme cake for my brother. I saw a ying and yang cake as well as a dragon cake in the gallery - love them both. Anyone have any ideas how to combine the two or tips on how to accomplish the dragon effectively? I'm just afraid my dragon will look like a scared snake.

I'm talking about the dragon with the gold lustre on it. I love it and am just scared since I'm not a really seasoned decorator. It is a very sometimes hobby of mine.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Cindi

9 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 10

See if you can do a search on the web, or look at a book about caly dragon. Like a polymer clay book or sculpty clay, same idea just use fondant. Debbie Brown has a bunch of cake books that show how to make dargons. You can go to her web site and click on the books and take a peek at what dragon you like... Hope that helps

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

Did you mean my red dragon cake? I think there is another dragon cake that is dusted with gold luster dust too. Mine was a little complicated to do because I had to make a support board for underneath the mouth. You could probably do a similar cake without the mouth being open. I made the body out of small round cakes placed on their sides, with some carving.

Courtney
LL

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 10

I love your dragon cake! Very very cool...!

jess9333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess9333 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Did you mean my red dragon cake? I think there is another dragon cake that is dusted with gold luster dust too. Mine was a little complicated to do because I had to make a support board for underneath the mouth. You could probably do a similar cake without the mouth being open. I made the body out of small round cakes placed on their sides, with some carving.

Courtney

I love your cake! Can you please provide more details on how you did the mouth?

mamacc Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:36am
post #6 of 10

The top of the mouth is cake sitting on a small plywood board. To prop the board up I had my husband cut out two small wooden triangles to wedge under the the small board. When I covered the head in fondant I wrapped it underneath the top board so it was hidden. There was a small rectangle of cake for the bottom jaw. The teeth are gumpaste on toothpicks.

It's not really that hard to do...it just depends if you want to get into a little carpentry before you decorate. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:40am
post #7 of 10

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif wow weeeee that cake is amazing!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #8 of 10

I absolutely love that cake! What an amazing cake...

Another thing for my "project" file..lol

Thanks for the instructions..let's see when and if I can get around to it....what I come up with..

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

I love that cake!

mamacc Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!! It was a really fun cake to do! It was for my son's 6th birthday. The kids go crazy over cakes, LOL! By the time we sang happy birthday the kids had managed to break off a wing and couple of other parts. I hope I get the chance to do another dragon sometime!! I have some ideas I'd love to try...

For one of the activities at the party the kids got to decorate castle and dragon cookies that I had baked. That was fun! Thanks to Cake Central for the no fail sugar cookie recipe. They were yummy!

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%