Boyfriend's 20Th Birthday

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm by mjulian

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 7

So my boyfriend's 20th birthday is coming up and I know kinda what I want to do. I want to do a topsy turvy cake but I dont know what decorations to put on it. I dont really want anything extremely difficult (beginner here) but I just think swirls and stuff are a little girly. Any ideas for designs for his cake?? I think I am going to do the base frosting color in blue and then the designs in chocolate buttercream. I am absolutely horrible with fondant, I totally blew it my first (and last) time, so I would rather just stick with frosting. Any ideas would be very helpful!! Thank you!

6 replies
Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

what does he like?

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe brown diamond shapes with blue circles at the intersections? Varying (or uniform) vertical stripes? Just some not-too-girly thoughts!

Regan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regan Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 7

How about just different sized squares on one layer, then maybe stripes on another layer, circles?? I have not attempted a topsy turvy cake, I think I'm to afraid to, would love to see pictures when you are done. Good luck!

lizzamaryann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzamaryann Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 7

you can do something blue or gray/black.
Maybe do a navy blue fondant cake with light blue circles.
Or use chocolate fondant with a big bow on top...

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 7

I think I have decided on a blue buttercream base with brown accents in stripes on one layer and circles on another. I think I will just use buttercream for the accents too. I want the cake to look good and I just dont feel like trying the fondant again yet... Would silver also go with the blue and brown?? I was thinking about doing silver number 20 on the top. What would be the best way to achieve that affect??

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7

when my husband was turning 21 i made him a cake and it was after a street sign in his garage that he just loved. So if there is anything in his home or that he talks about alot you can put that in there. like for instance if he loves to ride bikes you can put streets all over it or hunting you can make it camo colors with bright orange accents. if you have something that he really loves it makes it personal and they love it. Let us know what he likes to do and we can help more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%