Oven Temperature To Bake Cakes????

Decorating By CakeCraze Updated 22 Oct 2006 , 8:40am by kincaellan

CakeCraze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraze Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I'd like to know what temperature you set your oven on to bake your cakes? I'm sure some of you do 325, and others do 350. Why do you choose 325 or 350? What results do you get from choosing one over another?

Thanks for replying.

5 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 6

I use 325 because my oven tends to get a little hotter with 350 (it goes to about 360 when I put it on that temp, but stays nice and steady at 325)

It takes a little longer, but I think that lower temp also helps prevent the cake in the middle rising too high and forming a hump. I don't use anything for cakes smaller then 10 inches (Nails, etc) and my cakes come out very hump free and no cracks. I use the cake core when I have larger cakes, and also never have cracks or humps. At the higher temp, I did. (But again, it could be how my oven doesn't like the higher temp)

a 1/2 sheet cake takes about an hour and 20 minutes to bake, btw.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 6

I use 325, also. My oven tends to run about 20 degrees hot so I mess with it to find the temperature I like. 325 seems to control the center hump a bit better. I do use heat cores, too. (Be sure your oven is level. Use a level (tool) to check.) That will also help the cake come out of the oven with a better shape. Have a good time and bake away.

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 6

I'm really relieved to know that it takes other people an hour and 20 min to bake a cake, too. LOL I was getting really worried. ha!

stacy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacy1 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6

my wilton instructor told us 325 and turn the cake in the oven every 15 minutes cake does take about 45 min to bake. ive always had a good cake come out when using this method.
Also bake even strips around the pan are good too!

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 8:40am
post #6 of 6

I bake cake at 300*for an hour or more, but it's important to remember the more fat, oil, eggs, and sugar in a cake the longer and LOWER temperature you want. If your cake recipe is really low in these things than you can bake it higher and faster. Your cake should always have a flat top other wise it's too hot. When it rises in the middle it's called an 'A' fault in professional baking.
www.kincaellan.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%