Help! Client Wants "only" 10" And 12" Ro

Business By missmeg Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 12:05pm by indydebi

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 12

I have a client ordering a 25th anniversary cake for her parents. They have 50 guests invited, so she wants a 2-tiered cake (1 torte each tier) that is 10" and 12" round. Feeds "exactly" 50 people.

Problem for me is that means there is alot of "real estate" on top of that 10" cake to fill with decorations. I tried to talk her into something smaller with 3 tiers total, but she's not interested.

Any design options out there other than filling the space with roses? I have a silver "25" topper to go in the top of the cake.

Thanks!

11 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 12

I would do a 6" dummy cake just to have a nice place to sit the topper and embellish. That would be your extra touch. No charge of course. She'll be surprised. I would be.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 12

What about cornelli lace? I think that is so pretty and it's really elegant looking, to me anyway.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 12

It may seem like a good idea, but I wouldn't do the 6". You already asked/suggested the three-tier idea and she said no. Seh may not be happy to see that you did it anyway.

Maybe you could 'spice' up the "25" to make it bigger?

I agree with the lace! You could do the whole top in cornelli lace. Or do drop flowers. Check out my quinceanera cake for what I mean. (They are not two-tiers, but you can get the idea.)

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 12

like kascarlett said-

I do the cornelli lace for occassions like this- then get a nice silk flower arrangement to drape across the top with a small tea light candle in a glass votive holder. will work perfect.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 12

A standard cake topper is designed to fit on the 6" layer cake. Once you get it in place, there will only be about a 2" space around the top on the cake. After you get the cake bordered, you may not find there to be as much blank space as you'd think!

ps. love the corneilli lace idea, it always looks so elegant!

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 12

Instead of roses, could you do a bigger type flower, like a lily. That way they take up more space but you don't have to do a million of them.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 12

I'd flip my 10" pan over, place her topper on the pan and show her the 'real estate' you're talking about. Make suggestions, if she's fine with it, so be it.

If I think it's a bad choice, I guide them to other options, but if they keep coming back to their original choice, great. I'm not in the business of talking people in or out of what they want (there are exceptions in extreme cases..say stability)

Different strokes for different folks. I like to please my clients, and we don't always see eye to eye.

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 12

Maybe you can find out what kind of flowers they had on the original cake and try to replicate it somewhat. Maybe fresh flowers around the 25 plaque.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 12

How about offsetting the topper and doing a small gumpaste bouquet with a ribbon bow and tails.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 12

How about setting the topper on the cake and then surrounding it with roses and leaves. Should only end up being 1 rose deep.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

How about offsetting the topper and doing a small gumpaste bouquet with a ribbon bow and tails.

This is what I was thinking. Even if you surround the topper with roses or other flowers, a topper designed for a 6" cake will look lost in the center of a 10" cake. I'd set it off to the side or in a back corner, then fill in the space. It will look less geometric and more "artsy" (aka "pretty").

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%