Wedding Cake

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm by mendhigurl

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make my first wedding cake icon_cry.gif The bride and groom want a white cake with white buttercream and white buttercream roses. For aprrox. 150 people.

I am not sure where to start. I can't find any pictures, (I looked through the gallery). How much cake am I going to need? I have never made any thing this big.

When should I make the cake? It is need for Nov. 12.

Any help would be great.

7 replies
jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

do they what square or round? stacked tiers or pillars?

pinknlee Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:47am
post #3 of 8

They want round two stacked and a pillar with the top one small.
To feed 150 should it be bigger than that? I was thinking three on the bottom.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

Did they request a tiered cake? An easy first wedding cake would be using push-in pillars. Do you own any larger pans...like 12" and 16"???? That would be my first concern. Round are the most popular probably...the wisest investment. I would use 16", 12", and 6" pans. Wilton's chart says that this would serve 156 wedding servings from the two bottom tiers, and the top is not counted as it is given to the bride and groom intact. You could also to with smaller tiers and supplement with sheetcakes. Wilton has some good basic books that teach their buttercream rose technique and have the wedding/party serving charts in them as well. One of these would be a good investment for fundamentals. Feel free to PM me with questions. I'd be glad to help!

pinknlee Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:01am
post #5 of 8

They asked for stacked and pillars. Roses I can make. That is how this whole thing got started. The bride loves the rose I made for another cake. I have a wilton book on hold at the library I am picking it up tomorrow.

Phoov- Thanks I am sure I will PM you!

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:05am
post #6 of 8

Here are some BC wedding stacked cakes that might be able to give you a few ideas to builf off of! HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-53279.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-53279.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-73765.html

I can't wait to see pics of your cake! icon_smile.gif

pinknlee Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 8

Thank for the pictures. Those help alot.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sure you've made a lot of cakes, but do you have a good recipe that holds well to stacking? You may want to start testing those now if you don't. Like phoov said, you could do the 16x12x6 I would add an 8" to make sure you had enough servings. or do a small version and serve sheet cakes. If you're going to do the latter run it by the bride because some people don't like that idea at all.

If you've never stacked cakes, practice and get the basics down, because a wedding cake is not when you want to practice. The larger layers can be tricky to work with, so if you know what to expect, Also, just check out the wedding cake gallery again, even tough there aren't a lot of white on white cakes, you can get an idea of rose placement from other cakes as well.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%