I Don't Know Whether I Should Be Flattered Or Hurt????

Decorating By CakesUnleashed Updated 22 Oct 2006 , 12:36am by flayvurdfun

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:18pm
post #61 of 104

Deborah - I just looked at your cake and it is GORGEOUS. You have no reason to feel bad about anything. I spent alot of time off of CC and have just started getting back on for these same things - there was just a period where everyone wanted to bicker and fuss and I just didn't feel like seeing it all the time. No one will agree all the time, but things don't need to be said out of spite. Please keep up the good work and congratulations on the beautiful cake!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #62 of 104

I believe CakesUnleashed had it pulled herself, not Wilton. I just wish I had a fraction of CakesUnleashed's talent. Regardless of where the inspiration came from. I submitted a cake and did not expect it to go far, but I will keep trying. Keep on baking Cakes!!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #63 of 104

Well, "rules are rules", as they say. The problem with the contest rule is that I honestly didn't think there would be a problem with it because I had entered into the Wilton Contest in July 2006. The Cake Central contest was way after the fact. So, it is just a technicality that caused me to be in the position I am in. The fact that people pointed this out to Wilton is somewhat disturbing, but, alas...cake happens, right?

I must admit, (in a weird and twisted way), I have been blessed through this whole ordeal. It made me realize that there really are NICE FOLKS out there that OVER SHADOW the MEAN and PETTY PEOPLE.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #64 of 104

You know what they say.. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer!
Good Luck to you CakesUnleashed!!! Sorry you had to go through this crap.. You sound like your a forgiving, MATURE person.. unlike others... Keep up the good work! Your cakes are amazing!!! I'm not jealous of you, I envy your talent.. IN A GOOD WAY.. you and boween inspire me so much!! Again GOOD LUCK!!!
Christy..

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:28pm
post #65 of 104

Cakesunleashed, your last post sums it up. If you are a big enough person to see the good in such a bad situation, then you have said it all. As a matter of fact, I don't even know why I am responding. You have inspired me today, just from reading this post (I read the whole thing!!) Just wanted to let you know that.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:29pm
post #66 of 104

OH MY GOD!!??!!!...it is a cake contest for goodness sake. If she deserved to have 2 cakes in the finals, good for her. Whether it was a CC 'r or not, complaints were unwarranted. I voted for the castle cake on CC and on Wilton and now I am bummed, that is an awesome cake and wish I could have done that!

Just my 2 cents!

Happy Decorating!!!!!!!!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #67 of 104

You know, most of those posts were positive about the cakes though! And more than anything showed how protective we are of our fellow CC'ers. This is a loyal and caring group. The support and cheering on way overshadows any harsh or picky comments.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:43pm
post #68 of 104

Deborah ... I'm so sorry that once again, mean, nasty, jealous people thumbsdown.gificon_mad.gif here at CC (which is supposed to be a friendly, sharing, happy environment) have taken a good thing and made it bad. You are so nice, and you don't deserve any of this. Your last post just goes to show what a good person you are. It shows that you are the BETTER person and are rising above the nastiness. You go, girl!! I'll bet you have more talent in your pinky finger than some of the jealous meanies. I hope your Enchanted Tree cake (or if not that, then definitely one of the other CC'ers who are in the semi's) wins it all!!!! thumbs_up.gif Hang in there!!!!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:50pm
post #69 of 104

Wow... your cake is amazing!! Good luck in the competition. CC really is a very supportive family but just like all families sometimes there is petty bickering....don't let it get you down.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:53pm
post #70 of 104

CakesUnleashed wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I must admit, (in a weird and twisted way), I have been blessed through this whole ordeal.

What amazing perspective you have...you go girl!!! thumbs_up.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:54pm
post #71 of 104

You have the last laugh. Your cakes are very beautiful that's why Wiltons gave you the recognition you deserved. For those who are jealous..too bad for them.. Maybe that's why God made you enter two cakes because he knew that those "AHs'" out there will try and destroy you. .
But in the end, you win thumbs_up.gif !! yahoo!! hoo!!
icon_smile.gif

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:56pm
post #72 of 104

I am sooo sorry you have to go through this. Your cakes are FABULOUS and don't worry about what anybody says!! It's ashame that grown adults have to be tattletales.

What have we come down to? What is with all this oversensitivity lately? icon_mad.gif

As some have said before, we ALL get ideas from eachother. THAT"S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR!! To help eachother out.

So what if Debbie Brown has this cake in her book? There's a reason why people write cookboooks, to inspire others!!!! What a concept!!

There are soooo many other things in this world to be worried about, and we have to whine about a cake contest??? Congratulate her for how awesome of a job she did instead! Keep up the good work! thumbs_up.gif
Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now...

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:57pm
post #73 of 104

you must not listen to the negative people who only wish they had 2 cakes in the contest. your cake the one that i saw was gorgeous. keep on keeping on as a previous post said. maybe your going to hear that i can post because i post what other people say. icon_smile.gif lol ...too hilarious. good job. you deserve to be in the finals. your work is awsome. good luck. oh and a big congratulations to you.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 10:05pm
post #74 of 104

I stood behind you & was nothing but excited for you from the beginning! I'm so sorry it came to this icon_sad.gif And SHAME on the tattle tales icon_sad.gif
I am impressed with your perspective though, chin up girl icon_smile.gif

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #75 of 104

I'm stepping out of my lurking mode to say this.

Your cakes are wonderful and I have been a huge fan of yours since I joined CC. I are truly a gifted person in the cake decorating world, and I put you up there with many of the "Masters" of cake decorating. You're the reason why I went to vote on Wilton anyway. Wanted you to win. icon_biggrin.gif

I completely understand if you stop posting your lovely cake creations on CC, but I have one question for you. Would you send your beautiful cake creations to me? icon_lol.gif I get inspired by gorgeous cakes, and I hope to achieve your level of greatness one day.

Keep on baking and decorating!

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:12am
post #76 of 104

I am so disappointed "some people" actually had to contact Wilton about your cake being in a previous CC contest. icon_mad.gif

I agree with everyone else here. We come here to get inspiration and ideas from one another, and I can't believe someone would go so far as to try to sabotage your chances of winning. Why?! I don't understand it?! How many people can say they are talented enough not to have one, but two cakes chosen for the semi finals? Why the jealousy when were are all family! WHY?????!!!

Karma has gotten those people in the end. I'm sure everyone who read this post and had not yet voted, voted for your cakes! Rest assured, your win is in the bag.

BTW -- Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, and I mean anyone about this, but I voted for you at work, and at home icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesUnleashed Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:19am
post #77 of 104

I have to admit, today has been one big roller coaster for me. But, through the denial, tears and hurt feelings, I have met some INCREDIBLE people that make me want to try even harder next year.

Someome summed it up as, "It's Just a Contest". That's right - It IS just a contest. I guess we have all learned something from this and will move on from here. Who knows, maybe it happened for a reason! icon_confused.gif

In the mean time, I am soooooo very glad to have met some true blue, down to earh, ever giving and caring people!

I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:43am
post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

I have to admit, today has been one big roller coaster for me. But, through the denial, tears and hurt feelings, I have met some INCREDIBLE people that make me want to try even harder next year.

Someome summed it up as, "It's Just a Contest". That's right - It IS just a contest. I guess we have all learned something from this and will move on from here. Who knows, maybe it happened for a reason! icon_confused.gif

In the mean time, I am soooooo very glad to have met some true blue, down to earh, ever giving and caring people!

I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

I made it through the first page of the "other" post then promptly went to the Wilton website and voted for your cakes, not only because to me they were the best ones, but also because I was angry that some one would get that upset over a contest. I am glad that you have come through this in great form. I do not know you, but from reading your posts I believe you to be a person of integrity and true grace. Kudos to you!!!

CakesUnleashed Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:57am
post #79 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedandiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

I made it through the first page of the "other" post then promptly went to the Wilton website and voted for your cakes, not only because to me they were the best ones, but also because I was angry that some one would get that upset over a contest. I am glad that you have come through this in great form. I do not know you, but from reading your posts I believe you to be a person of integrity and true grace. Kudos to you!!!

Wow! You have given me a lot to live up to as the praises have been pheonominal! But, I will say this, I will try each and every day to make my family, myself and YOU proud! I hold my head high with confidence and the sheer joy of knowing, "...tomorrow is another day." LOL!!!!

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:34am
post #80 of 104

I think we are all in agreement that your castle cake surely would have been the winner!!! I LOVE That cake!! I'm sorry for all the emotional turmoil you have been through. When I first joined CC it was due to the amazement of all the support and encouragement I witnessed here. Ask a question and there's always someone willing and ready to help. The support here is phenominal and a rare find in this day and age. Lets not let a few "bad apples" ruin the bunch.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #81 of 104

Hi cakesunleashed!

Glad to see you are gaining notoriety for all your effort lol.

To get to this stage you have had to be judged by those who know design and clearly they saw you "had it". That's amazing given you havn't taken lessons. (That does not show in your work).

Now we get to have our say before the final judging, and I have to say, you sssoooo deserve to win that course (and the bucks lol).... it's up to us to get you in the finals...

so girls...

I see we get to vote once per day and I hope we have time to all go in once a day (don't know when it closes to us but as long as we can vote please do)... link a shortcut to your desktop to remind you when you hit the computer in the morning and make sure you vote.
I'm still awed that you are "untrained".... voting every day for your win.

cc sister cp wishing you luck!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #82 of 104

Oh and for those who need to know how to set a shortcut....

Just go to the voting page....
Right click anywhere on the page in an empty space....
Left click on "create shortcut"....

Then drag your shortcut to where you KNOW you will see it...and let's see if we can get Deb in the finals!

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #83 of 104

Even the garden cakes, they have great execution also, but....variations on a theme, right? One has a snail, on has a mushroom....both wonderful cakes...

Since the Wilton contest STARTED first (Before the CC contest), and the CC contest ENDED BEFORE The Wilton one did......how does that work exactly???? :confused: This seems to be a conundrum.

Oh well......Start working on your next contest winner, sister! You do fine work.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 3:13am
post #84 of 104

Be flattered, people don't start getting nasty unless they're jealous and your cakes are gorgeous.

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 4:14am
post #85 of 104

You did a super job!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 4:43am
post #86 of 104

You enchanted tree cake is enchanting indeed! Fantastic job! You gave due credit for your inspiration and that's as far as your obligation goes. You can't be responsible for the reactions of others. You do wonderful work. Don't let yourself get pulled down by negative comments by others. Just keep doing what you're doing. You're an inspiration to me.

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:02am
post #87 of 104

I think it's a shame someone felt the need to do that- I thought everyone here supported eachother. Well just so you know I thought your cakes rocked, and I voted for you. thumbs_up.gif

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:13am
post #88 of 104

Oh man this is just too bad. I'm sorry your place to come for support and learning has made you feel this way. Obviously as you can see, that is not the majority!! thumbs_up.gif It never fails to amaze me that when someone gets there feelings hurt on CC, people rally together. Its just like any family, people get ugly, people get hurt, but in the end we love each other!! icon_rolleyes.gif

btw, your cakes are fabulous!! We all use other cakes as inspiration!! I voted for you!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:28am
post #89 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

And I don't think the OP from the other thread should get slammed. She was asking a question/opinion, like we all do here, and obviously didn't know it was a CC'er...... if you read the other thread, she didn't post again after it was revealed who made the cakes in question. Is she supposed to kiss up now that she realizes who she was talking about? No.

It could have happened to anyone talking about so-and-so's cake.... If the rules were unclear or misunderstood then that person has the right to question it. Maybe she had a really cool cake she was going to enter but didn't because it was a "duplicated style" and she thought that it was forbidden.....wouldn't that upset you?

Let it go....... enjoy your win (hopefully)........... and be proud of the work you have done.

:

actually I completely disagree

the original post shouldnt have been made....nor is it the first time. It seems that "outside" cakes get a free reign on being picked apart.....and just as kharma does...she caught up this time....those b*tchig about it were faced with that those cakes were from other members they post with, get help or advice from and envy here.....

if she had a question about it....she shouldve taken it up with wilton....or takenn that if it wasnt stated against the rules the...well...duh...must not be! and if there were cakes to be entered but doubted....maybe those shouldve been asked prior to the contest ending!

its was spiteful....but the original poster isnt the only kharmafied poster in that thread!

"Constructive" criticism, if requested by the poster is one thing.

I agree with twinsline7, bashing of non-CC cakes happens a lot - why is that?

I won't go any further into that, but such actions don't make us better bakers/decorators or human beings.

When in doubt, as to how to act/what to say - I'll ask myself how it would make my parents feel, or what an example would I be for my children.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 7:00am
post #90 of 104

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." ~Helen Keller

"A man's character is his fate." ~Heraclitus

CAKESUNLEASHED, THE STRENGTH OF YOUR CHARACTER SPEAKS VOLUMES.

And, for anyone who may speak without compassion, know that
"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%