Fbct.... Instructions?

Decorating By froufroucakes Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 3:27pm by nikisbakin

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #1 of 8

I have a Hello Kitty cake to do next week and the person is asking for a sheet cake icon_cry.gif . I'd like to try doing a frozen buttercream transfer or a chocolate transfer. Which is better? Is one more durable than the other? Are there any rules? How long do they take and how many days in advance do I have to make them?

7 replies
Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #2 of 8

Here is the link with the instructions on how to do FBCT. I hope that this helps you some. I know that the chocolate is done this same way except it is done with chocolate, it also dries harder, so I would use it if I wanted a plaque or something that would stand up on the cake. That is just my opinion and I hope that this helps.

Vicky

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:09am
post #3 of 8

I've done many different FBCT but only some really small chocolate transfers so I really can't compare the two.

I love the FBCT since I can't free hand and it saves from doing all those darn stars!

How long it takes to do the FBCT will depend on the size and detail of the picture. I've done simple ones in less than 20 mins and I have had some take an hour to two. The longer ones were the more detailed transfers such as the FAA Emblem in my photos.

I have never made these that much in advance but you can freeze them for days if you need to. Just make sure they are place in an air tight container so they don't pick up smells from the freezer.

I usually make mine while my cake is in the oven or cooling. It will usually freeze for 20-30 mins on the smaller ones and sometimes a little longer on the bigger ones. I don't think I have every had one in the freeze for longer than an hour.

These are my directions for doing them...

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=441

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:19am
post #4 of 8

I like both the FBCT and the chocolate transfers, I think they both have their places. I would say that the chocolate transfers are more durable...no worrying about making sure they are frozen or that you are working fast to get it on to the cake. Just wait for it to dry, pick it up and place it on the cake. Also you can make this as far ahead of time as you need.

I like to use the FBCT when I don't want a "plaque" looking item on the cake and I want it to blend into the cake. I think they take longer only because I end up covering the whole cake with the FBCT. Normally I make the FBCT just the night before to make sure it is good and frozen before I stick it on.

I HTH some!

froufroucakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for all your help! I can't wait to try my hand at it. I'm assuming that you cannot stand these up on the cake? What happens when the frozen buttercream thaws out? Do you have to keep the cake in the frige?

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 8

This cake of mine:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=640313

has a double-sided chocolate transfer on it that I stuck a lollipop stick into and it stood up just fine. I know their are lots of other CCers that have chocolate transfers standing on their cakes as well. FBCT are another story....When the FBCT thaws out it just blends into the base coat of buttercream and no you don't have to keep in the fridge because of a FBCT. I hope that helps!

froufroucakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 8

That cake looks awesomely delicious! Thanks for the tips!

nikisbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikisbakin Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 8

Here is another link I have found for FBCT. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%