I Got Offered The Job At The Grocery Bakery :)

Decorating By madicakes Updated 21 Oct 2006 , 1:59am by mommabear

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 19

I'm excited! Will start in 2 weeks. They are even matching my current salary, which is great.

I'm so excited to have this opportunity seeing as how I have NO work experience doing this. I'm looking forward to at least getting the basics down and working on my speed while not being stuck behind a desk 8 hours a day!

18 replies
monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 19

congratulations icon_biggrin.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 19

Wow that is awesome! Do tell on how you got the position. I wish you much success!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 19

Best of luck

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 19

icon_surprised.gifI remember the post where you were asking for advice. So you got the job? WOW!! I am so excited for you!!

Did they ask you to decorate a cake?

Way to go!! thumbs_up.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 19

Congrats!!!!!

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 19

Congratulations! How exciting! I'm so happy for you. This is going to be so much fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Please be sure to keep us posted, and let us know how your first day goes!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 19

Congratulations - that is great news! But from taking a look at your pictures, you are already far beyond just "the basics"! icon_smile.gif

madicakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you so much guys!

The interview went so well. They set a small round and a small sheet cake in front of me and said "here, decorate these so I can put them in the case and sell them".

I was so nervous, my hands were shaking soooo bad!

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 19

WOW! Talk about pressure!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 19

That's awesome.....so how did you decorate them??? Did you do the basic shell border and roses?? do tell.....I have thought about doing that...just part time....(just for fun lol) always wondered how they interview you!

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 19

Best of luck. With the pics of all your nice cakes I'm sure you'll do well!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madicakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

That's awesome.....so how did you decorate them??? Did you do the basic shell border and roses?? do tell.....I have thought about doing that...just part time....(just for fun lol) always wondered how they interview you!

Yea, I just did the basic shell border, roses and rosebuds. Roses were definitely the big thing for them. The bakery manager made a point to ask me, before I even started decorating, if I knew how to do roses.

Monica0271 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 19

Very cool. That is so neat!

Were you nervous about doing to cake slow? (I would have been icon_redface.gif )

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 19

Congratulations! I also remember your previous post. Please give us more details, though. How did you decorate the cakes? Darn, I wish you had pictures. What will your hours be like? Will you get to create your own designs, or be doing some pre-arranged cakes. I'm so curious, and slightly jealous. Keep us informed with all the details.

Monica0271 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondrad

Congratulations! I also remember your previous post. Please give us more details, though. How did you decorate the cakes? Darn, I wish you had pictures. What will your hours be like? Will you get to create your own designs, or be doing some pre-arranged cakes. I'm so curious, and slightly jealous. Keep us informed with all the details.

icon_confused.gif Where you reading my mind? icon_lol.gif

madicakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 19

I'll have more answers tomorrow 'cause I'm going in to talk to them in the morning. My hours are going to be 6a-2p. I'll be working 4 weekdays and every Saturday. I am not too enthused about the Saturday but getting off work at 2 still gives me plenty of the day to play.
As far as the decorating, for my interview I just did the pretty much "standard" grocery store cake. For the round I did a spray of roses and rose buds along the upper edge, leaving room for writing if they so chose to add it. For the sheet cake I did sprays of the roses in the upper left and lower right corners, rosebuds and, of course leaves. Nothing fancy, really.
I thought it was funny because the night before I had all of these things going through my mind as far as what I was going to do. For some reason the color blue kept coming to mind for the flowers. Well, blue isn't one of my favorite colors, so I couldn't figure out why i was leaning that way. When I went in for the interview the bakery manager just picked out some colors for me to use and she grabbed a bag and said here, you can do blue flowers. I thought hmmmm, is this a sign?!?!
So, I'll be doing the basic decorated cakes to go in the case, as well as cake orders. But I believe I'll also be doing the other more "specialty" cakes that they also have in the case....you know, all of those chocolatey creations and yummy looking things. I'm also reasonably sure that I will have "some" artistic license but they will want me to create cakes that the general public will like, so I'll be limited in that aspect.
I'll find out more tomorrow though and let you guys know.

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 19

thumbs_up.gif Best of luck.

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #19 of 19

That is so awesome!! Every time I pass our bakery I wish I were behind the counter, then I could do lots of decorating without having to eat it all , LOL. My son makes me stand there for nearly half an hour it seems while he checks out every single cake on display! LOts of luck with the new job!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%