Help! My Borders Stink!

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm by MaryAtk

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 7

I need a some help creating beautiful shells and how in the world do I do a rope border?

Up until now I have been faking my borders and people seem to like them but I want to be FANCY icon_wink.gif

Anyone have great advice or a great link?

6 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 7

I know the Wilton site has a step-by-step to show how to do all borders and the rope was so intimidating for me but after I tried it, I found it wasn't that difficult. I would make a big batch of icing and flip a bowl over and just practice.

Even now if I haven't done a cake in a while I sort of have to practice my borders because I get rusty. icon_smile.gif

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 7

I'd like to know how to do the rope border too... I need to do a cake this weekend using it, and Ive never done it before LOL

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 7

I believe the wilton site does have step by step directions.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

I make mine by making a lazy "s" then a backwards lazy "s".

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 7

Go to Earlenes website. She has an easy way of making a full length rope border out of fondant. Use a cookie gun to press out the fondant onto a roll of adding machine paper. She sells a little wooden stand to help with this. Once it is pressed out you roll it to look like a rope.

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 7

I just can't make the shell border and I even took a Wilton class! lol. I feel like that is supposed to be the easiest one and I can't do it right! I can't do bead borders well either!

I think Wilton has info on their site and I know they have guides in the back of their yearbooks. I like to sit down with the yearbook and practice while looking at the photos & instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%