My First Wedding Cake!

Decorating By Sandi4tpc Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 8:34pm by wgoat5

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 22

Well, my story...I'll try to be quick [my DH won't believe it! icon_lol.gif ]

I have made cakes for my nieces/nephews over the past few years but only just this past January took any classes. I've taken Wilton I and had Wilton II cancelled [one person short of a full class and leader very pregnant--I like her a lot...so I'm waiting for her to be back! icon_wink.gif ] In fact, I just finished Wilton I when I opened my big mouth and I volunteered to make my sister's wedding cake for her August 11th wedding. [DH STILL doesn't know why I did that!] I figured it would force me to keep practicing and give me a goal.

Well, lots of lurking and reading posts that seemed relavent [and others that just caught my eye icon_rolleyes.gif ], I finally can say that I have made my first wedding cake! Of course, I'm not running out the door screaming to make another one but I did it!

Somehow the pictures got out of order....The bottom is my practice cake. After that I begged her to let me use pillars because I stressed and hated the stacked cake. It's not even/centered and it goofed the BC. I was very surprised at her reaction to the practice cake--I HATED it!

She loved it! They were paying for their own wedding and really appreciated everything! I got it set up the day before [oh yeah, I was Matron of Honor in the wedding...DH was a groomsman] and she came up to me and said "Sandi, you know with all the stuff that I've had going on this week, the one thing I never worried about was the cake." I still just tear up remembering that moment.

Thanks for letting me share! Sorry wasn't as quick as I wanted it to be!
LL
LL

21 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif What a beautiful job you have done. Your sister must have been so pleased. You have done well for your first wedding cake. I expect to see more beautiful works from you. Good job once again!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 22

WOW! Your cake is gorgeous! That actually choked me up a little too. That must have made you feel really good.

mariej162 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariej162 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 22

Both of them are very pretty. Your sister must have been very happy. You will find the more wedding cakes you make the easier it becomes.

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 22

Both cakes are very nice you should be proud.

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 22

Both cakes are very nice you should be proud.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 22

I think you did a great job on both. Be proud.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 22

You did a fantastic job! thumbs_up.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 22

I think you did a great job!! Very nice cake.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 22

You did a terrific job on both cakes and it sounds like your sister knows how much effort and love (forgive me for being slightly sappy when I talk about sisters...it's what I think of my own!!!) you put into her cake. She could not have said anything nicer to you. Wonderful job!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 22

gorgeous cake!! very pretty..you should be very proud[/b]

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 22

Well your practice cake looks great and your wedding cake looks wonderful! And for your first wedding cake you did a fantastic job! I know you sister was just thrilled. Good sister!!

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 22

beautiful cakes!! You did a great job on both!! I think it is so specail you were able to do this for your sister and that she truly appreciated it.

Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 22

Thanks everyone! I guess it does go to show that we are our own worse critic because in my eyes, the practice cake was horrible. My DH agreed with me.... icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif hmmmm....guess I may not use him for feedback on future cakes....he sees flaws as much or more than I do!!

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 22

*sniff* Your sister choked me up too! icon_cry.gif
She will always have you in her fondest memories

Did I mention congratulations on your gorgeous cakes? Your first wedding cake blew me away! thumbs_up.gif

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 22

Both of the cakes were beautiful. I can see why your sister was thrilled.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 22

What beautiful sentiments from your sister. What a truly gracious bride!
You cakes were lovely!! I can't wait to see more wedding cakes from you! What flavors did you do?

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 22

You did a fantastic job on both cakes!

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 22

Wow! I love both of these! You did a fantastic job!

Sandi4tpc Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #20 of 22

Thanks, everyone!

Man, I love this site! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:20pm
post #21 of 22

WOW!! icon_surprised.gif I love your cake, and those stands are great. thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:34pm
post #22 of 22

Beautiful work Sandi!!!!!! Im doing a happy dance for you icon_biggrin.gif !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%