Ateco Fondant Work Mat...love It!

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 5:58pm by jeking

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 21

I just bought and used the ateco fondant work mat...I am in love icon_biggrin.gif !

It stays on the counter without having to stick it down with anything, I think it is silicone so it is a nice surface!

I had the wilton one that worked fine, but it bugged the he!! out of me that I couldnt get it to stick to the table and it kept curling up on the sides! I saw them using the mat on the ateco satin ice tutorial thing and decided it might be worth a try. I found it discounted at discountfoodservice.com (I think) for about $28 plus $6 in shipping, which was a lot less than getting it from ateco directly! Just wanted to let you all know that I like this product!!

20 replies
springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 21

okay this is the website:http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/126/CLID/3331/N/99026/Ateco_Fondant_Work_Mat.htm

Sorry i had it wrong before, might be some other good stuff there too!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 21

i got the mat as well and was a little disappointed and my fondant stuck straight on the mat, but of course, i know that was my fault and not the mat - any pointers on the correct way of using it?

springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 21

I still added a light coating of crisco to it. I know some people also use corn starch or powdered sugar. Did you put anything on it? Or could your fondant been sticky possibly? Mine came off nicely, so I am not sure....

moralna Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 21

I used the corn starch and powdered sugar instead of the Crisco - don't ask me why, because i always use the Crisco with MMF, but i remember i was working with Pettinici for the first time and thought i couldn't use the Crisco - i am going to try again. Did you peel the fondant off the mat or did you place the mat over the cake, turn it around, placed it on the cake and then peeled off?

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 21

I'll second that emotion, that mat is the best! icon_lol.gif I used it with the crisco and I picked the entire thing up to cover a 16" square and I had more than enough room! I was a little skeptical that I didn't have the fondant rolled out enough to cover the cake, but I pretty much matched it up to the size of my mat. It was so great!

moralna Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 21

Does anyone have any tips on rolling fondant? That is also a problem for me.

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 21

I'm so jealous, I would love to have that mat. I see them use it a lot on the food network challenges. Maybe Santa will bring it to me.

springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I used the corn starch and powdered sugar instead of the Crisco - don't ask me why, because i always use the Crisco with MMF, but i remember i was working with Pettinici for the first time and thought i couldn't use the Crisco - i am going to try again. Did you peel the fondant off the mat or did you place the mat over the cake, turn it around, placed it on the cake and then peeled off?

Well I did end up picking it up. I have been wanting to try it that way. I usually do end up flipping the mat onto the cake and peeling it off, but I am still pretty new at this and was trying to do it a new way. I dont exactly have the hang of that yet. It just seems too stretchy (I use MMF) so I would be interested in hearing tips on how to transfer fondant to the cake (specifically mmf if it makes a difference or not.)

springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisha311

I'll second that emotion, that mat is the best! icon_lol.gif I used it with the crisco and I picked the entire thing up to cover a 16" square and I had more than enough room! I was a little skeptical that I didn't have the fondant rolled out enough to cover the cake, but I pretty much matched it up to the size of my mat. It was so great!

yeah the mat is big! It fits well on my kitchen island though!

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:10am
post #11 of 21

I love this mat! I use cornstarch on it and never have problems with sticking. thumbs_up.gif

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:23am
post #12 of 21

To get my fondant on the cake I sometimes roll it over a large rolling pin and then unroll it back over the cake. However, my favorite way to do it is to have my husband lift one side, and I lift the other side and we gently place it on top of the cake (this seems to reduce stretching). I know you guys are going to laugh at me for that one! I want to get that mat, sounds cool!

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 21

Thank you for the tip. I've other materials but this looks fantastic.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 21

Is this the blue one? I have it and I love it!! I tried using plastic sheeting from the fabric store, but it got all creased and left marks on the fondant.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:22pm
post #15 of 21

I had a mell of a hess problem with that mat. My problems were keeping it clean (EVERYTHING stuck to it) and the blue border around th edge kept flaking off onto my fondant. I was NOT happy.

I asked a woman in my cake club who is on the board of ICES and was trained at Le Cordon Bleu, and she told me to go to Walmart and get 2 sheets of the Heavy Duty Vinyl from the fabric department. Now I place one on the bottom, one on the top and I roll my foundant out between them. The fondant doesn't stick but is held there by static electricity. So I can peel off one layer, lift it up and walk across the room if I have to, lay it on the cake and then peel it off. It has been WONDERFUL and it was 6 dollars in comparison to the Ateco mat.

Just my opinion.

Rachel

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:28pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks mrsright41401 for the tip.

katycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katycc Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #17 of 21

i just bought this as well and LOVE it! i was trying MMF for the first time, and i was so scared, i bought this to make it easier. it was so great! i also just picked the whole mat up when putting it on the cake.. being that it is so big i had a little trouble, but it turned out really well. my only complaint is that it is hard to clean and it has to be really clean and smooth when rolling fondant. i also really wish they had put a grid on it. i really do love it though, and don't think i could do fondant without it.

springlakecake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by katycc

i just bought this as well and LOVE it! i was trying MMF for the first time, and i was so scared, i bought this to make it easier. it was so great! i also just picked the whole mat up when putting it on the cake.. being that it is so big i had a little trouble, but it turned out really well. my only complaint is that it is hard to clean and it has to be really clean and smooth when rolling fondant. i also really wish they had put a grid on it. i really do love it though, and don't think i could do fondant without it.

mine does hava a grid on it, just not on the whole thing...not exactly like the wilton one.

I havent had any troubles with it yet, but I have only used it once, so if I experience any troubles with the blue border flaking off ect. I will be sure you let everyone know...but so far I am happy. I just couldnt stand the edges of the other mat rolling up and not sticking to my countertop!

katycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katycc Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:52pm
post #19 of 21

icon_razz.gif guess i bought too soon. i didn't realize they made a 'grid' version. oh well something for the christmas list.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #20 of 21

THanx for the tips folks! icon_biggrin.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:58pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

I had a mell of a hess problem with that mat. My problems were keeping it clean (EVERYTHING stuck to it) and the blue border around th edge kept flaking off onto my fondant. I was NOT happy.

I asked a woman in my cake club who is on the board of ICES and was trained at Le Cordon Bleu, and she told me to go to Walmart and get 2 sheets of the Heavy Duty Vinyl from the fabric department. Now I place one on the bottom, one on the top and I roll my foundant out between them. The fondant doesn't stick but is held there by static electricity. So I can peel off one layer, lift it up and walk across the room if I have to, lay it on the cake and then peel it off. It has been WONDERFUL and it was 6 dollars in comparison to the Ateco mat.

Just my opinion.

Rachel

Do you dust it with cornstarch or grease it with Crisco first? Also, do you use commercial fondant or MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%