Torting A Cake

Decorating By Relznik Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 11:22am by Relznik

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 5

Please don't laugh at this question....

But what is 'torting'?

I'm thinking it must just be another term for something I already do to my cakes, but perhaps UK and US have different terms for it?

So, please... explain!?!

Suzanne x

4 replies
QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 5

Torting is when you slice the cake round and fill it with a filling of your choice.

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

Slicing the cake to make your layers...which is what you already do. thumbs_up.gif

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 5

Torting, to me, is taking a layer (basically the cake as it comes out of the pan) and cutting it into more layers. So, a cake that is baked as two layers (two cakes, two pans) can be "torted" into four layers. Therefore, cutting each baked layer in half. The best part is that you can add extra filling by torting! Hope I explained this okay!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:22am
post #5 of 5

Thanks.

I thought that's probably what it was, but you never know.

I think that in the UK anything other than vanilla buttercream and seedless raspberry jam is a bit unusual (or chocolate buttercream or whipped ganache for a chocolate cake). One day, I'm going to come on to the USA and spend a fortnight tasting all the amazing cake flavours and filling combinations you have! I'll need to book two seats on the way home for all the weight I'll have put on! LOL!

Because I have my beloved Agbay cake leveller, I make two cuts through my cake - on one I put the buttercream and the other I put the jam. A lot of cake makers just make one cut across the middle and put jam and buttercream together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%