Cake Showing Through Buttercream

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm by aundron

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 4

Anyone have this problem? I very rarely do buttercream cakes without fondant, but I am doing one this weekend for my son's birthday. I don't want the cake to show throught the white icing. Should I trim the edges of the cake off?

3 replies
monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 4

You have to put a pretty thick layer of buttercream on the cake and then you can remove/smooth off the excess. It takes some practise (I'm still working on it myself) but it can be done.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 4

If I put a thin layer of the buttercream on ( like a crumbcoat but thicker) smooth it out, then let it crust more. Then I add another thicker layer of the buttercream on the cake and ice as I normally would.

Sometimes if I try to put on the icing to thick, the icing is to jiggaly ( I don't think that is a word but it is the only word I can use to explain it) and I have problems. But it do it this way, the cake comes well covered.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 4

When I'm doing buttercream icing; I make sure I crumb coat first, wait a few minutes then put another thick layer of buttercream on and use my spackle to do the rest!!!! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%