Fried Coke Information

Lounge By veejaytx Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 4:09am by cakesbyjess

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 30

Found this in an article on Google:
At least, at the Texas State Fair it is. It's Deep-fried Coke.

Abel Gonzales Jr. flavors his batter with Coca-Cola, deep fries it, drizzles Coke fountain syrup on it, then tops it all off with whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry. Gonzales's creation won for creativity at the second-annual Big Tex Choice Awards Contest, beating out such delicacies as deep-fried macaroni cheese and deep-fried Cosmos.

I don't know about this, maybe I'll see if I know anybody going to the Fair that would bring me one. Janice

Just found another one, and this one might work for us and our "cake balls":

Anyone Heard of "Fried Coke"?
No, not like your brain on drugs LOL.

I was just watching a segment on NBC. The chef's name (I think they said his name was Alex Gonzalez, from Texas) was preparing a "fried coke" desert. Yes, you got that right. Fried coke.

Apparently it's small, coke flavored dough balls which he deep fries, powders with confectioner's sugar, puts in a coke glass and tops with whipped cream (of course). Maybe there was some coke syrup too. They looked like small zeppoles.

I don't know - this sounds kind of unappealing to me personally, although maybe I'm being too harsh. I did recently taste a cake made with 7-Up of all things that was surprisingly tasty, so, who knows?

29 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 30

icon_confused.gif Hummmm...... I think I would try Deep-fried Coke icon_lol.gif Whos knows icon_rolleyes.gif .

Interesting article thank you for sharing.

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 30

That sounds healthy!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 30

Happy to share with you all! Here's another one, the Fried Coke wasn't the first prize winner for new food this year, it got most creative! The winner is Fried Praline Perfection, and are coconut and pecan pralines, battered and deep fried, and they, beat out fried macaroni and cheese, a deep-fried cosmopolitan and other not-so-healthy treats to win the coveted title.

Can we all say "Clogged arteries". LOL Janice

Monica0271 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 30

icon_cry.gif Thanks alot icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

I have been seeing the TGIFridays commercials for the fried Mac & cheese & I really want to try them.

Now I am thinking & craving them again icon_rolleyes.gif

Gosh, I love fried foods icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 30

heard about this on the radio and someone on there was saying how good the deep fried coke is.....I would try it but I don't think I'd like it either....I don't like pop and fried foods kill my stomach.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #7 of 30

Wow fried coke with fried macaroni and cheese with Fried Praline Perfection for dessert that would have to be your fat allowance for the week at least. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif . Is there anything left to fry icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for the info veejaytx icon_biggrin.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:34am
post #8 of 30

LOL.....and I just came home from the fair! (NC). This was my second night out there and this time our purpose was to try many different foods. Had the fried coke. Not exaclty what it thought it was. It just like whats posted here. Also tried the oreos, twinkies, snickers bar, and the cheescake. (I know im greedy). Kinda got curious with the fried pickle (i love pickles), but considering what i had already ate, I think it was best skipped.

There is at least and ounce of pure oil in me right now...

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:38am
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica0271

icon_cry.gif Thanks alot icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

I have been seeing the TGIFridays commercials for the fried Mac & cheese & I really want to try them.

Now I am thinking & craving them again icon_rolleyes.gif

Gosh, I love fried foods icon_lol.gif

OMG ... I have been wanting to try that fried mac & cheese at Fridays, too!!!! I love mac & cheese, so I can only imagine how much better it must taste fried!!!! icon_smile.gif

Speaking of fried, I tried deep fried cookie dough at the Ohio State Fair this summer and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted. Fried pickles are to die for, too!!!! OK, I'm hungry now!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:44am
post #10 of 30

you like pickles too?

*craving a pickle even if it is fried*

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:14am
post #11 of 30

*Gasps, grabs chest and keels over* LOL! icon_lol.gif

Now I've heard it all...fried Coke?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:21am
post #12 of 30

Fried Coke would be the perfect ending to a lunch of fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches - washed down with a diet Coke, of course icon_eek.gif

Elvis would be proud icon_twisted.gif

veejaytx Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 7:54am
post #13 of 30

There are some restaurants here that regularly offer fried pickles, and I have tried them, these are the hamburger sliced ones. They are kind of a shock to your taste buds, but pretty good eatin', well at least if you like pickles at all!

I would expect that the ones at the fair are whole and on a stick like a corny dog? Janice

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 9:42am
post #14 of 30

Hey gang! Fried coke wasn't that great. It was like giant donut holes with little flavor sprinkled in a light cin/sugar. Then a bunch of Coke syrup in the bottom of the cup - very little in the top. The bottom part was nearly gaggy it was soooo strong.
I had high hopes and was disappointed....now the donkey tail was another story!

veejaytx Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 10:00am
post #15 of 30

Okay, what is the donkey tail, haven't heard about that one! It brings some strange pictures to my mind, I'll have to admit.

I'd have to agree that the coke syrup sounds pretty gaggy. Maybe yours wasn't so good because somebody did it wrong, I don't know why all the syrup would be on the bottom like that.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 30

Were my daughter works, they serve fried pickles spears!!! They are so good dipped in ranch dressing. I would love them for lunch today, but it's a greek salad for me(not fried).

also, there are several bar & grills restaurants they serve jalapeno bottle caps with ranch dressing.

cakesbyjess Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 30

I've had the fried pickle chips (like on hamburgers) as well as the fried pickle spears. Like barbara-ann said, they are fantastic dipped in ranch dressing!!! Applebee's had them for a little while during the summer, but they are gone now. icon_cry.gif There are a few restaurants around here that have them for appetizers. Of course, they must be sooooo bad for you, but OMG, they are sooooooo good. I am a pickle freak to begin with, so dipping them in batter and frying them just makes them heavenly. icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 30

I am getting so unbelievably hungry reading all of these great posts! Sure wish I could go to the Fair, or even to TGI Fridays! Do they still have the fried veggie platter there? Janice

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 30

I'm afraid of what a donkey tail is!! LOL but that fried mac n cheese......oh wow......that sounds delicious!!

veejaytx Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #20 of 30

I just sent cowdex a PM asking her to come back and tell us what the donkey tail is...in the meanwhile I am having a peanut butter sandwich, a big tall glass of milk with ice, and two dill pickles, not fried! My ex-DH thought this combination was really bad, but it tastes really good! Janice

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 30

I went to a local fair and they had fried snickers bars. We tried one. It was like eating a snickers that had been in a hot car all day.

Monica0271 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:35pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb94

It was like eating a snickers that had been in a hot car all day.

icon_confused.gif OK I am all for fried. But Fried candy bar? icon_confused.gif eeekkkk.. I have constisancy issues icon_redface.gif (runny.... goopy...messy)

I love freid pickles thumbs_up.gif Yummers icon_rolleyes.gif

My sis & I were at a flea market & the were selling fried twinkies icon_confused.gif I could not do it. A Runny, greasy mess I recon they are. icon_cool.gif

Somethings should NOT be fried!!

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:26am
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSnackCake

LOL.....and I just came home from the fair! (NC). This was my second night out there and this time our purpose was to try many different foods. Had the fried coke. Not exaclty what it thought it was. It just like whats posted here. Also tried the oreos, twinkies, snickers bar, and the cheescake. (I know im greedy). Kinda got curious with the fried pickle (i love pickles), but considering what i had already ate, I think it was best skipped.

There is at least and ounce of pure oil in me right now...

You should have had the fried pickles, Sonic used to have fried pickles...I miss them! icon_cry.gif

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:16am
post #24 of 30

Donkey tail is a beef (yeah, right!) frank with a slice down lenghtwise, a strip of cheese in the slice then wrapped in a tortilla and fried. Served with chili and cheese. Think Sonic's footlong chili dog but a tortilla instead of the bun!

veejaytx Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:30am
post #25 of 30

That actually sounds pretty tasty, but why name it something that sounds so not tasty?

Thanks cowdex, for relieving our curiosity. Did they have those at the Fair? Wonder why nobody mentioned that one...well duh, who wants to talk about something to eat called donkey tail!

Janice

cakesbyjess Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 3:06am
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by srod911

You should have had the fried pickles, Sonic used to have fried pickles...I miss them! icon_cry.gif

Oh man, do I love Sonic!!!! There are only a few in Ohio, and the closest one to me is an hour and a half away!!! icon_cry.gif What a travesty!!! I guess I should be thankful that there isn't one closer to me ... I would weigh 500 pounds!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thunderkittenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thunderkittenn Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 3:52am
post #27 of 30

I don't think any of these fried foods sound too tasty. I can't eat greasy foods they make me sick.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #28 of 30

cakesbyjess,

I'm with you. My sister and I love Sonic!

We discovered them while driving to TN.

There are none where I live in IN, although we do get the commercials on satellite........ ugh

cakesbyjess Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:06am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

cakesbyjess,

I'm with you. My sister and I love Sonic!

We discovered them while driving to TN.

There are none where I live in IN, although we do get the commercials on satellite........ ugh

OMG ... we get the commercials here, too, even though there are none nearby. What a tease!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:09am
post #30 of 30

While we're on the fried foods topic ... DH and I went to Max & Erma's for dinner tonight. We tried their new crispy lasagna rolls. Basically, it's lasagna without the sauce, battered and fried, with marinara sauce for dipping. It was fantastic, as you might guess!!! Fried foods are EVIL, I tell ya!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%