Best Mixer?

Decorating By esskaym Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 5:34am by Phoov

esskaym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esskaym Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 31

I think I'm going to buy myself a mixer for Xmas but need some help on deciding which is the best one to get. I really dont want to spend much more that $300 MAX although I'm hoping to find a really great deal at Thanksgiving.

What do you suggest? detective.gif

30 replies
lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 31

Kitchen Aid

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 31

Kitchen Aid, no doubt! Watch the ads, they will go on sale, usually Thanksgiving week end.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 31

Kitchen Aid for sure. You can usually get great deals around thanksgiving, before christmas.

esskaym Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 31

Which KA mixer?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 31

Kitchen Aids are great. I just bought a Cooks for JC Penny. It was on sale from for $139 normally $300. It has a larger motor than the Kitchen Aid, 5 qt bowl, and the same attachments. I love it!
LL
LL

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 31

KA all the way!
I bought a pink one this summer and I am actually mad at myself for waiting so long. At least I'll have it for christmas this year.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 31

I bought a 6 quart KA that was a refurbished model. It comes with a 6 month warranty. It was about $230. I have had it for about a year and never have had a problem with it.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 31

Kitchen Aid Artsia are great and withing your price range especially if you find a sale. They also have good rebates. My Kitchen Aid is about 20 years old and I have never had any problems with it and works like new. Plus I love all the attachments that you can get. My recent attachment is the ice cream maker. I just wish the ice cream was harder when the mixer slows down. My mother has been giving them as wedding gifts to her grandchildren and my son is next on the list. My soon to be daughter wants the light blue one. Hope you don't have too much trouble choosing one after you see all the colors.

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 31

I too am in the market for a KA I really want the pink one. Does anyone know if you can buy this color anywhere or only online? Also whats the best size to buy?

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 31

I know Lowes is having a 20% off on all small appliances this weekend.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 31

I have a Bosh Universal mixer that I love. It has replaced all of my KA appliances. The base sits on my counter all the time and the different attatchments I keep on my shelves and are easier to grab as I need them rather than lugging out the heavy KA ones. Don't get me wront, I liked my KA too, but the Bosch fits better. And because I can leave it out and easily switch out attatchments, I use them all more often than I ever did the KA ones. Bosch has a better motor than the KA and one of the nice features is that the lid fits completely on so there is NO stuff flying around.

I would also look into the DeLonghi, it also has a better motor than the KA and has similar features to the Bosch in terms of switching out attatchments.

On the motor end, the Bosch has a feature where if the motor gets overloaded it shuts down, thus saving the mixer, plus it has a part that will actually break, that's meant to protect the motor. It's cheaper to replace that little part than have to buy a new mixer. The part is like a fail safe. The reason I picked the Bosch over DeLonghi was simply because the Bosch has a lower profile and easily fits under my old low cabinets. They're both excellent machines and IMO superior to the KA.

KA is great if you can get a good deal. I don't think they're worth their retail prices at all. But if you can get a good price, go for it.

shortcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake2 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 31

About a year ago I gave my 1st KA to my DS. He decorated it with red flames so it looks manly. I replaced it with a new green KA and love it.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 31

KA! I've been using them forever (mom had one), and I got a 6qt pro for my wedding...

I believe you can get the pink ones anywhere...macys, williams sonoma, bed bath & beyond, etc...

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:31am
post #15 of 31

Get the biggest KA you can find for that price and look for specials including the extra attachments!!!!!

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:39am
post #16 of 31

I got myKA at costco it was the best deal and powerful--the pro series with metal attachments.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 12:06pm
post #17 of 31

I have the 6 qrt pro KA. I have been using it steady for the past 6 years. It has literally done thousands of cakes. I love it. I also have a 20 qrt for larger batches of things, but it is as old as the hills. I t is so old it has a transmission in it with regular gears, but it is my workhorse and has been faithful for many years. KA is good about standing by their products. Whatever you do go with a stronger motor, if you are planning on doing alot of cakes and icing you'll need it. Good Luck.

monika396 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monika396 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:26am
post #18 of 31

Bed bath and beyond has a whole line dedicated to Breast cancer awareness month of kitchen utencils all in PINK. All of the items are so cute!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:36am
post #19 of 31

Kitchen Aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any size you can afford.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:37am
post #20 of 31

I think KitchenAid used to make an excellent mixer when it was manufactured by Hobart. I don't think the newer models are as well made, I have one old original 5 quart K5A and a newer one, the old one has held up perfectly, the newer one has had the ring around the top fall off and the plastic on and off knob crack in half and fall off. I bought a 7 quart Kenwood on closeout sale at Williams Sonoma 4 years ago and I swear by this mixer, twice the power of KA but lighter to pick up and move. Same planetary action as the KA too. I believe De Longhi bought out Kenwood. They are more than $300.00 but the closeout price I got was $245.00 best money I've ever spent.

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:39am
post #21 of 31

I actually bought a Wolfgang stand mixer. It works really well for me. I always wanted a KA, but my husband liked the hp and all that other stuff, this one had. I've had no problems, but I did demolish my whisk attachment. Duh me, forgot to take it off while making my "Kitchen Sink" cookies. Great deal on both mixers though.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:54am
post #22 of 31

KA - watch for those sales! I got my KA 6qt. for a steal - it was a display model! icon_rolleyes.gif

esskaym Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:04pm
post #23 of 31

AngelaDay, do you know who actually manufactures the Wolfgang Puck mixers?

I'm getting mixed reviews on the KA mixers so now I'm kinda wary of buying one. I can say though that my mother owned a Kenwood mixer for about 30 years before it finally kicked the bucket.

They sure don't make stuff like they used to anymore. icon_confused.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #24 of 31

kitchen aid all the way. the professional 600 series looks good. a bit more than you want to spend but worth the investment. i am going to buy one soon too. icon_wink.gif

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 9:12pm
post #25 of 31

Esskaym, I ordered it from HSN, but he actually sells them on his website too. Which is where I ordered my replacement whisk.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #26 of 31

Esskaym- I have the Wolfgang Puck mixer, and have been talking it up, but I am not very happy. I have had it less than a year, and the gears are all screwed up, and I only use it for batter and frosting. I am going to have to get a new mixer. I have e-mailed the Wolfgang Puck Inc. to see what they say about it. I am now also looking for a new mixer. I am checking out the Hamilton Beach Stand Mixer, but don't know anything about it except it has 400watts, and I don't know if that is enough.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:31pm
post #27 of 31

I need another KitchenAid now. LOL Buy extra bowls if you can!

Rachel

esskaym Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:54am
post #28 of 31

I found some really good deals on the Hamilton Beach Stand Mixers. Like the KA, they are 400 watts, all metal and come in cute colours. Also been seeing some great prices on the Jenn-Air Attrezzi mixers. They are gorgeous...but are they any good???

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #29 of 31

Kitchen Aid here all the way, Kohl's by us has those all the time on sale the 575 watt one with a 6 quart lift bowl for around 275.00 Nice colors too, also check Amazon.com sometimes they have left overs in an odd color for 199.00 My friend got a nice rust colored one there and I think they had a special on shipping , just have to watch. Enjoy....... icon_biggrin.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:19am
post #30 of 31

I'm not the biggest KA fan. I have something similar to the Bosch mixer. It is the Magic Mill DLX2000/Electrolux Assistent. It can handle MUCH heartier batters and such (have yet to make MMF). Most bread makers swear by them and prefer them HANDS DOWN to a KA which just doesn't have the power to do it. Since I don't want a mixer for one thing and a mixer for another, I got the strongest period and love it. Comes with tons of optional accessories too and easy to clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%